Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #1006
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Edit: what readme? your link is broke
Gnaah, I forgot a quote character - should be working now

Oh... FWIW, I managed to get rid of the "use localized settings" bit, so right now, the left/right margins are "only" constrained to be (at least) the (user-defined) top margin setting. And patching that part of the logic should be comparatively easy.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #1007
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post

Oh... FWIW, I managed to get rid of the "use localized settings" bit, so right now, the left/right margins are "only" constrained to be (at least) the (user-defined) top margin setting. And patching that part of the logic should be comparatively easy.
Awesome. I did not know that the top margin can be set seperately (or that it should). I will fix that right now (by additionally setting the top margin lower). Don't you love little changes like that? If you knew, it would not have taken so long - hahahaha. You mean by patching adding in the documentation to please reduce the top margin as well - that would be sufficient (imo).

DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #1008
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Awesome. I did not know that the top margin can be set seperately (or that it should). I will fix that right now (by additionally setting the top margin lower). Don't you love little changes like that? If you knew, it would not have taken so long - hahahaha. You mean by patching adding in the documentation to please reduce the top margin as well - that would be sufficient (imo).

Aw - a translation:

JBpatch == Java Bytecode patch

ixtab's utility here actually changes the executable code (and/or code path).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #1009
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And patching that part of the logic should be comparatively easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Aw - a translation:

JBpatch == Java Bytecode patch

ixtab's utility here actually changes the executable code (and/or code path).
I heard the word "should be comparatively easy" before. And right now I am shaking my head at Amazon.

Some more invaluable insights (don't want too make it to easy, right?):

It worked for a few pages with the top beeing also at 15 , and it went back to bigger margins . Did not even like that I had it on smallest margins, and switched itself to medium margins. First thought - oh yeah, you just outsmart the beast. Changed ALL of them to 15 including the pdf ones just for giggles. Well, then it insists to go back to the 40 on the top margin. It must have done that thing before and automatically selected medium margin because it was closest to the 40. Now (that all margins are same) it stays on smallest margin once it decides to mess up.

Next step: make the top margin and offset both 0. Nope. It changes back to default. It even changed my increased lower margin to default (wanted to see if that had any influence on the logic). No destroyed that by lowering back to default. (edit: correction, the bottom margin seems to be unaffected, but the footer size got smaller right away)

- make sure that top margin + top margin offset == 52. NOPE

- top margin == 15, top margin offset == 12 (so it is default). NOPE

It gets changed in this order: If the Footer is set to at least 60 (59 does not work) the PW will display the full information including the page numbers time left in book, location, time left in chapter while reading - wow cool I wanted to have the page displayed. NICE, well until it gets "fixed" more sooner than later. Seems to only work if footer AND bottom margin are excactly 60. Footer 60, Margin 65 no work. Anyway, this gets destroyed as soon as you open the menu and go back, or in the very least menu, aA and then go back. The top margin gets changed back to something like 40 at least on the next page change. Sometimes the left and right change at same time, sometimes it takes one more page advance for them to follow suit. The logic is beyond me. And it is apparently not simply depending on the top margin. The bottom margin gets changed too, independend from the top.

Theories? Sure:
1) Kindle defaults to defaults after changing enough pages

2) Kindle defaults to defaults even faster when opening a menu, especially when needing to set the margin after a framework restart

3) Whenever the Kindle changes margins, and goes back to where you been, it pisses around.

1 + 2 + 3 = 6

6) The Kindle has a BACKUP setting for all margins that it checks for default (ranges). Similar to my findings about the light. (yes you can change it by hand, but it still remembers where it should be.

4) and 5) Amazon did not get their cookies today, no love at all from them

For now I put the margins all back to standard. More headaches for you ixtab, if it is worth it.

Short answer: even if it all depends on top margin, that one gets changed as well. Hopefully if you can patch that logic, all else works as well. (wishful thinking on my part)

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-02-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #1010
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:

Wait a freaking second. What what what? Darn, I read it and it did not instantly clicked. You already DID something for this to work. Misunderstood you then. "localized setting" must be what you already got rid of.

My post before was then most likelly wasted effort. Still good info on the weird logic.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #1011
stupidhaiku
stupidhaiku began at the beginning.

Device: KV
Just wanted to post and say I'm rooting for you ixtab. I HATE the huge default margins and I really appreciate your work. It was so easy on the K3!
stupidhaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #1012
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidhaiku View Post
Just wanted to post and say I'm rooting for you ixtab. I HATE the huge default margins and I really appreciate your work. It was so easy on the K3!
Warning: maybe you did not see it yet. There is a slight problem getting the smaller margins to work for more than one page on the Paperwhite. So if the only reason you install it is for smaller margins, you might have to wait a bit longer.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #1013
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[KPW] margins patch, take 2

OK..., second attempt at the margins patch for the Paperwhite, which hopefully fixes all of the previous issues. Download now available again at the original post.

Special thanks to DuckieTigger for the extensive testing, and for the very helpful input!

While this version has been tested rather thoroughly (with .mobi/.azw3 books, and with .pdf files), I cannot guarantee that it will always work correctly under all circumstances. If you experience odd behavior, please report it here.

PS: Did I mention that Amazon did a great job in making their code look like complete rubbish? Thanks, Amazon, much appreciated. We really love to get fucked while attempting to make your devices more usable.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #1014
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
OK..., second attempt at the margins patch for the Paperwhite, which hopefully fixes all of the previous issues. Download now available again at the original post.

Special thanks to DuckieTigger for the extensive testing, and for the very helpful input!

While this version has been tested rather thoroughly (with .mobi/.azw3 books, and with .pdf files), I cannot guarantee that it will always work correctly under all circumstances. If you experience odd behavior, please report it here.

PS: Did I mention that Amazon did a great job in making their code look like complete rubbish? Thanks, Amazon, much appreciated. We really love to get fucked while attempting to make your devices more usable.

Thank you for mentioning me there. I waited a bit to see if all really really worked. It got the DT-approved stamp of approval now.

When I had my page view earlier (with full footer), it must have been a brainfart on the Kindle. Unfortunately I cannot replicate this again. That is a (undocumented) feature I would like to have - see the page number (not the dumb location code) all the time. Oh well. All margins set to 15 except for the bottom set to 30 works great Maybe when you get to port the part in JBPatch with the bar in the bottom it will be better. As long as you leave me the time left and chapter, real page number, and % all in one single line, I will be a happy camper. (hint hint )

thank you ixtab, excellent work.

p.s.: I think you can pack it the way it is into a complete new JBPatch, or at least link it in the very first post.

p.p.s: About the dead horse. I barely noticed. Did you say something (again). Yeah, I got my Amazon ears in, I hear ya.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #1015
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
It works!!! Thanks!!!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #1016
ixtab
(offline)

About hyphenation

... thanks for all your replies. I'll just leave the hyphenation settings as they are
Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #1017
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
Could JBPatch be used to:

a) totally turn off the PW light

and

b) remove the "Personal" tag at the bottom of book covers for books you emailed to yourself?
a) No. Light intensity control on the PW is done through Javascript and native command-line tools. There is nothing JBPatch can do about it. Keep an eye on the dev forum though, because this is a "trending" topic which is being actively discussed.

b) No. There are many other threads concerning this topic, and the answer is that you have to modify the book, not the framework.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #1018
atleon
Enthusiast
atleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you very very much for the new patch, Ixtab! It has been really exciting to follow your fight against the Amazon's code with the help of DT
atleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #1019
ivar
ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: kindle touch, pw
margins and KT

Hi, this are only for info and maybe helps in some points development

I have KT SO. Firmware 5.1.2 (not PW)
JBPatch 2.4.1
If margin patch active, then some (not all) azw3 books, downloaded from Amazon, downt open. Get error, that "download again" or somthing that kind. Some opens and I get empty screen and kindle freezes after that. After deactivating margin patch (I use it for pdf only anyway) same books opens normally.

Maybe it helps.

Sorry my bad english
ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #1020
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar View Post
Hi, this are only for info and maybe helps in some points development

I have KT SO. Firmware 5.1.2 (not PW)
JBPatch 2.4.1
If margin patch active, then some (not all) azw3 books, downloaded from Amazon, downt open. Get error, that "download again" or somthing that kind. Some opens and I get empty screen and kindle freezes after that. After deactivating margin patch (I use it for pdf only anyway) same books opens normally.

Maybe it helps.

Sorry my bad english
Go back to the first post and install the newest JBPatch for the KT. Version 3 is the up to date version.

Update: Sorry for the short answer. What I meant to say is, it would really help if you try the latest version and see if your problem is fixed. 3.0.0 adds no functionality, that is correct. But it still had changes under the hood. A minor change under the hood can have a major impact. If you want to help find the problem, then see if the books you had problems with work under 3.0.0 - if they don't, then there IS something wrong with JBPatch and it should be fixed.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-03-2013 at 01:28 AM.

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks