Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
blyde
blyde began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ebook reader integrating translation

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking in buying a ebook reader... but I try to find one which can translate directely in the text. Something like you touch the word and you get the translation in a choosen language ( I enjoy reading and learning in the same time). Not a thesaurus. I have try to find something interesting with my googling friend but not realy found the reader of my dreams .

So I someone, somewhere has an idea, I'll be thankful .

By the way, I'll also thinking in buying an android phone like the samsung galaxy. Can I have the hope that I could mix those two purchases ??

Thanks a lot
blyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by blyde View Post
I'm thinking in buying a ebook reader... but I try to find one which can translate directely in the text. Something like you touch the word and you get the translation in a choosen language ( I enjoy reading and learning in the same time).
I think PocketBook 302 provides what you are looking for. You can install different dictionaries there (even create some of your own) and after that while reading you can enter the dictionary mode and select a word by touching it with a stylus and than by another touch of stylus you can switch between the dictionaries to see a meaning in different languages. Actually all PocketBook models provide the same great firmware for working with dictionaries but with PocketBook 302 it is the most easy/convenient to use because of the touch screen.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
blyde

Thanks for your response. I Looked up for the pocketbook 302 but I did'nt find anything solid about the translation.

I 'm looking for an ebook user who can give me his feelings about the translation habilities of his reader.

An ebook reader which can translate english, german, spanish to french would be great for me (without internet connection). Sory if I'm a little bit too demanding ;-)
Old 08-04-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
What do you mean, solid?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by blyde View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking in buying a ebook reader... but I try to find one which can translate directely in the text. Something like you touch the word and you get the translation in a choosen language ( I enjoy reading and learning in the same time).

Maybe not EXACTLY what you're looking for because it is not a touchscreen, but my Jetbook Lite came with quite a few dictionaries installed, so that if you highlight a word you can ask for it in another language, i.e., English-Spanish or English-Russian:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jbl1.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	56141   Click image for larger version

Name:	jbl2.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	56142   Click image for larger version

Name:	jbl3.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	56143  
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
There's an inbuilt dictionary in the Kindle. You move the curser to the word and an explanation shows up. There have been a few issues with translation dictionaries though, as it appears that the Kindle couldn't handle other input languages than English - but it should be fixable - see this thread from post #29 and onward:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=60103&page=2

Edit, added: there's another solution - see same thread as linked to above, post #53

But I think that there's now a larger variety of deafult dictionaries available for the Kindle. You can have a look at Amazon to see what is avaliable. Remember, it must be a Kindle default dictionay.

Last edited by Ea; 08-09-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Okay, now that I'm home from work and have a little more time to look at it, here are the dictionaries that my Jetbook Lite uses:

English
Eng-Rus
Eng-Pol
Eng-Spa
Eng-Ger
Rus-Eng
Pol-Eng
Spa-Eng
Ger-Eng

You just use the multi-directional key to move from one dictionary to the next.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Maybe not EXACTLY what you're looking for because it is not a touchscreen, but my Jetbook Lite came with quite a few dictionaries installed, so that if you highlight a word you can ask for it in another language, i.e., English-Spanish or English-Russian:
The approach is pretty much the same in the non-tactile Pocketbook dictionaries, for what it's worth. Do you know perchance what dictionary format does Jetbook use?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
blyde

@logesman: I find informations like "have a dictionnary" but don't explain how it works if if it's good or not.

@bjones: WOW !! It's nearly exactly what I was looking for but I need the french dictionary and tactile could help ... I'll look if it's possible to install other dictionnay

@EA: great too. I like the kindle, I'll check too for those dictionaries.

If somebody else has a ebook reader with great translation habilities and want to share about it. :-D
Old 08-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
Logseman
Orisa

The way it works in Pocketbook is simple: you summon the dictionary and scroll through the words until you find the one you need. In Pocketbook 302, since it has a touchscreen, you use the stylus or your finger to point at the words.

I myself like it, particularly because it's customisable and I can read books in more than one language and use a fitting dictionary.

Last edited by Logseman; 08-09-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As far as I can see there is one problem with Pocketbook; the of lack availability of good, up-to-date dictionaries in epub format. I have yet not been able to find any.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Logseman
Orisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
As far as I can see there is one problem with Pocketbook; the of lack availability of good, up-to-date dictionaries in epub format. I have yet not been able to find any.
Pocketbook doesn't use .epub dictionaries, but a strange format called .dic.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Pocketbook doesn't use .epub dictionaries, but a strange format called .dic.
Oh, okay - thank you Well, it's still difficult to find dictionaries for it, while it's easy to find dictionaries in .mobi format.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
blyde

I think I have decided which one I'm going to buy but your opinion would be appreciated

The spring alex, at least I could use wordreference while reading.

If somebody get an experience about the translation habilities of the Alex, I'm going to "eat his/her words" ^^

What do you think about this ereader which is a little bit expensive :-s
Old 08-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #15
blyde

nobody ?