Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
BillT
BillT began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
New Here evaluating a kindle

Hey Guys, I am new here. I am evaluating a kindle and need some help. I am interested in loading it mostly with textbooks and technical stuff since I am in medicine. I converted part of a text using mobi creator...it was ok, but the table are screwed up. Also, how do you change the kindle from portrait view to landscape. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks...Bill
BillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillT View Post
Hey Guys, I am new here. I am evaluating a kindle and need some help. I am interested in loading it mostly with textbooks and technical stuff since I am in medicine. I converted part of a text using mobi creator...it was ok, but the table are screwed up. Also, how do you change the kindle from portrait view to landscape. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks...Bill
If your text book is PDF, try using Kindles conversion service. You email the document to your Kindle's email address. It is delivered via Whispernet. You need to go to your amazon account first and approve your email address as one that can email to your kindle first though.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If your text book is PDF, try using Kindles conversion service. You email the document to your Kindle's email address. It is delivered via Whispernet. You need to go to your amazon account first and approve your email address as one that can email to your kindle first though.

BOb
You all know how much I love my Kindle, but from all I've heard, it is not the device to use for textbooks or tables, or diagrams and such.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillT View Post
Thanks...Bill
Here are a couple of threads with images of technical and medical images as rendered on the Kindle. Hopefully they will give you a better idea of it strengths and limitations.

Image samples from the Kindle and iLiad

How good are Amazon's pdf conversions?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Bill and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert