Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
Ferro
Ferro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Question [SOLVED] Freezing opening an ePub

Hi, I have a strange problem with my Kobo Glo HD. Firmware version is 4.8.11073.

I have bought some Amazon eBooks in they prorietary format. So I broke DRM from them and converted all eBooks to ePub with Calibre. On PC, converted ePubs looks good, but when I copy them to my Kobo and try to open it I can't see anything and also Kobo freezes and crashes.

This is an eBook that I've bought and converted. Can you test with your eReader?

This is a video that I made to show what happen when I open an ePub.

Last edited by Ferro; 06-23-2018 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Removed link of copyrighted eBook because the problem is solved.
Ferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
After opening the book, go immediately into the font selection menu and change to another font. It might not necessarily work with the first trial.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
Ferro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
After opening the book, go immediately into the font selection menu and change to another font. It might not necessarily work with the first trial.
I tried but it doesn't work, the page is stuck on 2 even if I try to change it.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I downloaded the epub from the link you supplied and one issue that I see is that the book text is in a single file which is 255KB compressed or 1.4MB uncompressed. The epub does open using Sigil and the calibre editor so I would suggest spllitting the file at chapter boundaries. Both Sigil and calibre also complain about errors in the file. What version of calibre did you use to convert the file since I have never seen calibre fail to set the basics of an epub so badly.

The other item is that I would suggest that you remove the link since the book is copyrighted.

I'm not going to discuss the mass of inline styles but using Sigil's RemoveInlineStyles plugin worked to clean them up.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-22-2018 at 11:11 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:20 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Ferro, I agree with @DNSB. The errors in the book are causing this. In fact, the errors are such that is not a valid epub. If there is a bug in the firmware, it is that the book is not rejected. When I opened it in the editor, ran the error check, the first error was about a missing namespace. Fixing that allowed the device to open the book.

And, as @DNSB asked, how did you convert this? There is absolutely no way it was done with calibre. Nothing about the result suggests this. Unless it was version 0.1 or something like that. And even that, I doubt. But, the real fix is to run a conversion in calibre. That should fix most of the problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2018, 04:47 AM   #6
Ferro

Thanks for the support. The problem was Calibre, I converted all eBooks using the version 2.21, because it was the suggested version for the plugin that breaks Amazon's DRM. I've updated Calibre to 3.26.1, then I converted all eBooks to ePub and now they work!

I also removed the link of the copyrighted eBook.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:16 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
Thanks for the support. The problem was Calibre, I converted all eBooks using the version 2.21, because it was the suggested version for the plugin that breaks Amazon's DRM. I've updated Calibre to 3.26.1, then I converted all eBooks to ePub and now they work!

I also removed the link of the copyrighted eBook.
Sorry, I've been using calibre for enough time that there is no way that book was produced with calibre version 2.21. It had none of the signs of a calibre conversion in it. It doesn't really matter now, but there is something strange happening.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote