Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I see an ad just above the 99c rentals.
Same here.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #17
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Nope, don't the $5 discount - probably because I'm in the UK.

I agree, that is a dreadful interface; anyone would think they weren't interested in selling books.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #18
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I buy books from them and am on the emailing list but the only specials they ever email to me are for movies, music or apps - never for books.

I agree it is not a good store to browse for books. You can search for something (such as "police procedurals" and get a bunch of books to look through, but it doesn't give you any way to sort them, such as by price, author, or whatever.

Usually I shop there after I discover a new author or series via the library but the library does not have the whole series, so I go shopping specifically for the missing book(s).

Sometimes I will click on the "books" category to see what's currently on sale.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #19
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
I decided to check more accounts and the deal is showing up on some of them. So I tried looking to find something suitable in science fiction...

That is one hideous interface. I can't narrow it down by price at all. I can select science fiction and fantasy and it gives me a list of sub-genres. Which seem partly random (there's Nebula award winners, not one for Hugo award winners, but a whole sub-genre for Warcraft?) and none of which show me more than a hundred books before stopping. (In fact, most only show me about twenty books.) Based on what I can get the store to show me from browsing, I would say Google sells a couple hundred science fiction and fantasy books total. I know that's incorrect, but it appears the only way to find books on Google Play is to already know what you want and search for it.

I gave up, Google can keep their discount.
I have kvetched about Google's interface, before, too. I don't see what the difficulty would be creating even a halfway useful sorting feature.

This is amazing to me, for the company whose name is synonymous with Internet search engine. But not all tech companies which have a great capability in one area have it in another. Take, for example Microsoft. It gave us the state of the art office suite; but it also gave us Bing.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:08 AM   #20
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I have kvetched about Google's interface, before, too. I don't see what the difficulty would be creating even a halfway useful sorting feature.

This is amazing to me, for the company whose name is synonymous with Internet search engine. But not all tech companies which have a great capability in one area have it in another. Take, for example Microsoft. It gave us the state of the art office suite; but it also gave us Bing.
I suspect their focus on search is the problem. It works fine if you search for a particular author or book. If you want to browse, it's hideous. Seems like someone's been thinking "people will only want to search for books" and designed it accordingly.

The problem for them is search isn't always the answer, especially for any kind of shopping. A lot of times people want to browse to find something interesting.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2016, 01:20 AM   #21
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
I suspect their focus on search is the problem. It works fine if you search for a particular author or book. If you want to browse, it's hideous. Seems like someone's been thinking "people will only want to search for books" and designed it accordingly.

The problem for them is search isn't always the answer, especially for any kind of shopping. A lot of times people want to browse to find something interesting.
I agree.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #22
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
One of the frustrating things for me with Google Books (aside from the search functionality) is that you cannot combine credits with other forms of payment. So, I have the $5 off promotion plus $5 of credits, but I cannot buy the book I want because it's $10.33 with tax. Google won't allow you to just pay the extra $0.33, but instead you cannot use any of your credits and must pay the full $5.33 difference.

I'm holding out in hopes they reward us with one more $1 credit before the end of the year.
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #23
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyFDR View Post
One of the frustrating things for me with Google Books (aside from the search functionality) is that you cannot combine credits with other forms of payment. So, I have the $5 off promotion plus $5 of credits, but I cannot buy the book I want because it's $10.33 with tax. Google won't allow you to just pay the extra $0.33, but instead you cannot use any of your credits and must pay the full $5.33 difference.

I'm holding out in hopes they reward us with one more $1 credit before the end of the year.
Have you installed Google Rewards?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aidtasks&hl=en
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #24
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
Ooooh, I have not. Thank you for pointing that out!
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:28 AM   #25
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Receive $5 off any book priced at $5.01 and above. Works on the Big 5 titles also.

https://play.google.com/store/books
Thanks for posting! I just got a $9.99 book I wanted for $4.99. Great stuff, since it was a book I needed to complete a series.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #26
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Nope, don't the $5 discount - probably because I'm in the UK.

I agree, that is a dreadful interface; anyone would think they weren't interested in selling books.
I'm in the UK. As soon as I went onto the books page I was offered £3.00 off a small selection of books, none of which appealed
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #27
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I'm in the UK. As soon as I went onto the books page I was offered £3.00 off a small selection of books, none of which appealed
When the $5 US offer popped up for me there was also a small list of books, none of which appealed, so I typed the name of a book I actually *wanted* into search, bought that and got the credit.

Can't guarantee that it will work the same in the UK tho...

But I'm pleased with Google, aside from this bonus, as a Project Fi customer, they also gave me a $10 credit over the holidays. All going to books!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #28
bookmarked
Addict
bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Nexus 7, iPod Touch 4, HP TouchPad
I just got a second $5 Credit on any Book Over $5 offer from Google Play. This one expires a day earlier than the first one - 3/31 vs 4/1. I redeemed the first offer but haven't used it yet. Both offers show up in my account under Rewards.

This new offer showed up in the banner (item 4 of 7) at the top of the "Entertainment" page, aka the "Movies, Music, Books" page in the Play Store app.

These offers are usually targeted to specific accounts, so YMMV.
bookmarked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #29
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Thank you! I used the credit to complete a series.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #30
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmarked View Post
These offers are usually targeted to specific accounts, so YMMV.
They don't love me!
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote