Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2017, 03:31 PM   #766
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by TisoKhan View Post
Thanks Ken! I've used the DOS Edit to insert the line on setting.reader.lua and it's working!!! I just didn't get how to make KSM always open as the main firmware.

I'm so glad for your help! Have a awesome day!
A part of the first post that you may have missed:

KSM is by default configured to run only after every second reboot, and nickel automatically runs after every other second reboot. This is a kind of security measure in case KSM does not properly run after installation (something that cannot be excluded with future firmwares or changed hardware). After KSM has started the first time, please change this behaviour:

•select "tools" > "activate" > "set runmenu settings.msh" > "always"

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #767
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
And that only bothers me about the REAL problem: I hate the Nickel. It's been a whole year that it doesn't open none of my ePUBS. Sometimes it opens the ePUBS that I got from the store, but never opens the ones that I transfered from my PC. It opens directly on the last page of all the files that I want to read. And it doesn't turn the pages back also. Since the harware is working fine when I run the KSM and the KO Reader, it makes me think that it's some kind of programed obsolescence. In the other hand, the alterate firmwares are doing just fine.
No, there is no programmed obsolescence in the Kobo device. If you look, there are people here still using the the original Kobo device which is three or four years older than your Glo. And my Touch is still running strong when I use.

The problem as described is most likely a corrupt database. Signing out of the Kobo account and back in will probably solve the problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #768
TisoKhan
TisoKhan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, there is no programmed obsolescence in the Kobo device. If you look, there are people here still using the the original Kobo device which is three or four years older than your Glo. And my Touch is still running strong when I use.

The problem as described is most likely a corrupt database. Signing out of the Kobo account and back in will probably solve the problem.
I already did it. And I went back to the factory settings (various versions) a dozen times. The issue goes back everytime after some days.
TisoKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #769
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Not programmed obsolescence exactly, but I think my H2O responded faster on the original 2014 firmware than on something from this year. This is particularly apparent because KOReader didn't used to feel significantly faster for the most part, just more elegant.

However, as a user of an old device you're actually in pretty good company because the newer devices are still basically just as slow. I suppose that's mostly for better (as far as durability goes) but given the huge evolutions in cellphones I do find it somewhat surprising as well that it doesn't really seem to have affected much of anything.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #770
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I already did it. And I went back to the factory settings (various versions) a dozen times. The issue goes back everytime after some days.
So, it works fine when you do a factory reset. Then a few days later it starts misbehaving. Did you check the database when it happened? The problem could be that the internal SD card is failing and causing problems as it goes.

The other possibility I can think of is problems with the books. I have seen exactly what you have describe with books that had errors. Different reader apps handle different errors in books in different ways. The epub renderer on Kobo's is particularly strict and will fail for a lot of things that others are OK with.
Advert
Old 08-25-2017, 01:55 AM   #771
domistr
domistr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20 edition 1
Kobo H20 ed.1 I have just installed the latest version of Koreader, and of course the Kobo Start Menu. When I start my Kobo I get to the KSM. All the options seem to work except START KOREADER. I have tried both the stable version of KOREADER and also the latest nightly version.
Also, when in Nickel when I click the Koreader icon it just displays a logo.
Koreader has been extracted to .kobo
I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction

Last edited by domistr; 08-25-2017 at 04:59 AM. Reason: typo
domistr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #772
TisoKhan
TisoKhan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
So, it works fine when you do a factory reset. Then a few days later it starts misbehaving. Did you check the database when it happened? The problem could be that the internal SD card is failing and causing problems as it goes.

The other possibility I can think of is problems with the books. I have seen exactly what you have describe with books that had errors. Different reader apps handle different errors in books in different ways. The epub renderer on Kobo's is particularly strict and will fail for a lot of things that others are OK with.
That's the tricky thing about this issue. I've tried to run the tests in a "Descartes way", by changing every variable. I never use SD cards anyway, and I've tried to see how it goes with totally different ePub collections from one time to another.

First it happens with the ePubs I put into the device using the USB connection. Everything goes fine for a week or two, and then it only opens the files on their last pages, refusing to turn the pages back. Two or three days later it affects the paid ePubs as well. It's weird to see in this thread that this issue are very unusual. I thought it was somewhat common.
TisoKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #773
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's the tricky thing about this issue. I've tried to run the tests in a "Descartes way", by changing every variable. I never use SD cards anyway, and I've tried to see how it goes with totally different ePub collections from one time to another.
I said "internal SD card". The Glo uses an SD card for its internal storage. These have been known to fail. I have replaced the card in my Glo when it started misbehaving badly. After that, everything was OK.
Quote:
First it happens with the ePubs I put into the device using the USB connection. Everything goes fine for a week or two, and then it only opens the files on their last pages, refusing to turn the pages back. Two or three days later it affects the paid ePubs as well. It's weird to see in this thread that this issue are very unusual. I thought it was somewhat common.
As I said, the description makes me think the database is being corrupted. Failing internal storage could be a culprit. There was also a problem KSM (with maybe particular firmware versions) that caused problems with the database and calibre. I'm sure that was fixed a while ago, but, if you haven't updated KSM recently, it could be the issue. I don't remember the details, I just remember things going back and forth over where the fault was.

What I would suggest is that the next time it happens, test the database. If you are a calibre user, my Kobo Utilities plugin has a function to do it. Otherwise, any SQLite management tool will be able to do it.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #774
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by domistr View Post
Kobo H20 ed.1 I have just installed the latest version of Koreader, and of course the Kobo Start Menu. When I start my Kobo I get to the KSM. All the options seem to work except START KOREADER. I have tried both the stable version of KOREADER and also the latest nightly version.
Also, when in Nickel when I click the Koreader icon it just displays a logo.
Koreader has been extracted to .kobo
I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction
Didn't the install of KSM8 create a .adds folder, with a kbmenu folder? Your "koreader" folder gets extracted from the download zip/targz file and placed into that ".adds" folder.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:32 PM   #775
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Do you use custom fonts? If yes did you try to see whether there is a relation between selecting a certain custom font and your problem. Next time you meet the problem open the font menu, change the font, and see whether it helps. If it helps, the books that you open for the first time after this will also work. The other books that previously did not work might still not work. I would delete them without opening them and then copy it anew to the device.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #776
roukah
roukah began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O Edition 2
Hello,
could we please have an update on the status of KSM for H2O2? It says on the KA1 fix post that the latest version of KSM08_aura_one fixes H2O2's screen orientation issue, but the post also says that this same patch doesn't work for H2O2. After trying it out myself, it appears that the patch doesn't fix the inverted screen issue.
Are there any plans to make a working version for H2O2?

Thanks
roukah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #777
Aelirenn
Bookworm
Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, KA1, KAH2O, Voyage, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Nope, KFMon doesn't work, File Monitor doesn't work either

I did try KSM08 with KA1 patch (after reseting to factory defaults and updating firmware) and it doesn't work. Nickel runs every time and KOReader never. Opening a .png doesn't start KOReader

Last edited by Aelirenn; 09-09-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: merging two posts
Aelirenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:04 AM   #778
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roukah View Post
Hello,
could we please have an update on the status of KSM for H2O2? It says on the KA1 fix post that the latest version of KSM08_aura_one fixes H2O2's screen orientation issue, but the post also says that this same patch doesn't work for H2O2. After trying it out myself, it appears that the patch doesn't fix the inverted screen issue.
Are there any plans to make a working version for H2O2?

Thanks
I will update the information as soon as the status has changed. For the problem that prevents KSM from running on H2O2 see this post.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:26 AM   #779
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelirenn View Post
Nope, KFMon doesn't work, File Monitor doesn't work either
I guess that translates to: KFMon and File Monitor do work, but koreader exits immediately and the error log shows "unidentified Kobo model" or something to this effect.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #780
tshering
Wizard

Yes, KSM 08 is most recent version.
(Somebody asked this. But I cannot find the thread, where she/he did.)