Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
Oldgeek
Oldgeek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard
OldGeek needs some help

Hello all, oldgeek here and I hope this doesn't sound too ignorant or stupid. I have a Kindle 3 keyboard and I was wondering if it is possible to hack it in order to use it to browse the internet and send and receive email. My wife has an iPad and I just got wondering if it could be possible to use my Kindle like her iPad. Thanks for your kind help.

Ray
Oldgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Welcome! I'm sure you'll get some pretty good answers, but I'll try to start off with a quick and easy one to try.

The built-in browser, although "beta," works pretty well. No need to hack. And you just need to access an email provider with a decent mobile/simple webmail. I use yahoo. You can sign in at http://mlogin.yahoo.com/ , and then check your mail at http://m.yahoo.com/w/ygo-mail
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgeek View Post
Hello all, oldgeek here and I hope this doesn't sound too ignorant or stupid. I have a Kindle 3 keyboard and I was wondering if it is possible to hack it in order to use it to browse the internet and send and receive email. My wife has an iPad and I just got wondering if it could be possible to use my Kindle like her iPad. Thanks for your kind help.

Ray
the K4NT has an experimental (menu hint ) browser.
work OK for small screen aware pages (Calibre Content server) ansd those that don't require Flash.

See if the K3 has the same sub menu
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Oldgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Welcome! I'm sure you'll get some pretty good answers, but I'll try to start off with a quick and easy one to try.

The built-in browser, although "beta," works pretty well. No need to hack. And you just need to access an email provider with a decent mobile/simple webmail. I use yahoo. You can sign in at http://mlogin.yahoo.com/ , and then check your mail at http://m.yahoo.com/w/ygo-mail
Thanks for your help but can you tell me how to access the built in browser. I'm not sure where I can enter the url. Where is the address bar located. How do I get to it? Sorry for my ignorance. Just learning this stuff. Very interested though.

Ray
Old 10-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I see. Back up a few steps.

First, I'll assume that you've been able to join wireless networks. If that's not the case, send another note, and we'll back up a little more.

To access the browser, press the "Home" key on the keyboard, and then the "Menu" key. You should see a menu pop up on the right hand of the screen. Push the "down" arrow on the directional pad (the lower segment of the squarish ring at the far right of the keyboard) until you see the word "Experimental" underlined. Then press the square at the center of the directional pad (this is equivalent to "Enter.") The Web browser should be the first choice, and "launch browser" should be underlined. If not, use that directional pad again until it is, and then press "Enter" again.

You can use the pad to select any of the pre-existing bookmarks (press Enter for the one you like.

Once you have a page loaded, you can directional-pad up to the top (URL entry field), press the "Del" button on the keyboard and enter your new URL with the keyboard, and "Enter" when done.

Experiment around with it for a while, and then come back here and ask more questions!

Update: I forgot the easy way. When in the browser, just push the "Menu" button again. From this menu you can select "Enter URL," "Add Bookmark" or "access Bookmarks." that's a lot easier.

And if you need to enter a number as part of your URL, they are the "Alt" keys on the top row of letters. For 1, press the "Alt" button, then "Q." 2 is "Alt W," etc. all the way to 0 is "Alt P." Or, you can press the"Sym" key to get access to numbers and other characters like @, parentheses, ampersand, question mark...)

Last edited by curtw; 10-04-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Thought of more
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Oldgeek

CurtW, you are the man. Thanks so much for your help. I'm sure I will have many more questions but for now, I have plenty to work with. Do I understand correctly that I can go to any website as long as I have the url? I sure hope so, This is so cool, Thanks.

Ray
Old 10-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgeek View Post
CurtW, you are the man. Thanks so much for your help. I'm sure I will have many more questions but for now, I have plenty to work with. Do I understand correctly that I can go to any website as long as I have the url? I sure hope so, This is so cool, Thanks.

Ray
Yeah, you're not going to see anything that runs Flash, but mostly it's good. The pre-installed bookmarks will give you a flavot. The New York Times is WAAAY to crowded, but the browser gives you a decent zoom tool. Sometimes you have to "hunt" with the directional pad to find links, but when the arrow changes to a hand, that means you can click to jump to the linked site.