Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
plasticarmyman
plasticarmyman began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz Reader 101
[WIP] Themeing the PE

Sorry, I am not going through all of these threads to find someone who has pulled the kernel out of this device, I just recently purchased a PE and i want to try and overclock the CPU which i know means we need an OC'd kernel...so the best way to do so is to compile it from source, i have never done this before but i am willing to try it out...so if anyone has the source available please let me know...otherwise i will attempt to get it out of my PE by myself...*shrug* just figured that someone might as well attempt something around here because it seems kind of dead/slow around here and i know a OC'd kernel would be awesome...

also, if anyone has attempted this please let me know..i would love your input and help if you are willing to provide it

Last edited by plasticarmyman; 05-29-2012 at 08:45 PM.
plasticarmyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
You do have a spare PE for when the one you overclock dies don't you.

The CPU is underclocked for a reason over and above extending the battery life, there are other components that are dependant on that clock speed.

If you use the search function you should find a thread where someone upped the clock rate without any real gain.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Might be a little risky, but what isn't LOL. At any rate make sure you look up the threads on building the serial cable as you'll no doubt need that in the event you hose your PE and need to get it back to working condition.

What I always wanted to attempt was a kernel with a working save to SD card (not sure what is missing on the PE and I don't know enough about Android kernel dev to know what's required either). I'm guessing it should not be too difficult to do though like when I replaced the existing wpa_supplicant with one that can connect to adhoc connections. It worked I think because both were compiled against the same kernel version. At any rate I think that most of what may be missing from our PE's beta ermine (I'm assuming you are using that version on your PE) can be installed in a similar fashion.

Any way welcome and enjoy. I'd love to get some development going if you know what you're doing.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
plasticarmyman

no i do not have a second PE...but i can get one easily off ebay, not a big deal.

As for the other thread...of course they didn't get any result, you cannot truly overclock an android CPU without having an Overclockable kernel...

I do not know how to do this, i've never done it before, but i've done quite a bit of android modding, so i figure i might as well give it a try.

as for the serial cable, I will for sure figure that one out...that would be helpful beyond belief.

I would just like to try and get some Rom's on this device if possible, and i understand that it is damn near impossible....because of the split screen.

But the lovely Dev's over on XDA sucessfully rooted and installed ADW on the Nook Simple Touch which is also an E-ink device..so i figure we can go ahead and give it an attempt.

so, anyone have the source?...or know where i can find it?....

and anyone know what operating system the e-ink side uses?

i know i'm asking a lot of question that have probably been answered elsewhere...but i'm tired of crawling through threads and ending up at deadends.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
To answer some of your questions. There is NO source code available for Ermine. There is the old source for Dingo about somewhere but I doubt it will be any good to you.

For information about the e-ink you should send the developer of lcd2eink a PM he might be able to give you some information.

All I can say is, good luck with your endeavours.

One thing I should add - plug 'serial cable' into the forum search and you should come up with the instructions on how to make one.

Last edited by ivanjt; 05-23-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: add info re serial cable
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

I would think that another kernel would be possible. I'd hope that the differences in a standard android kernel and what we have may have more to do with the changes entourage wanted to make and not the eInk side itself since the code that deals with the eInk are seemingly standalone applications (binaries not installed via the standard Android apks, but included in the original "rom" update.zip).

That being said, I wonder if just using a "stock" kernel would work then add the entourage binaries/libs to that would get a somewhat "working" update.zip for the PE. The worst that should happen in the event that it doesn't boot is to "flash" with the working update.zip again since the "bootloader" code that loads the android image is not replaced during the update.zip procedure.

Last edited by tekknogenius; 05-23-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
plasticarmyman

we could always just try and use the flash image gui to flash over a kernel, and i am planning on trying to do all the compiling and testing on a virtual Android machine on my laptop...

but anyways, just got my PE in yesterday, had a bit of trouble with the updating and flashdrives, but figured it out and i'm now on Allmine RC3..i'm going to mess around with it a little bit and let you all know what the progress is...
Old 05-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
tekknogenius
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticarmyman View Post
we could always just try and use the flash image gui to flash over a kernel...
What is the flash image gui? For flashing you may want to look at the update.sh file within the update.zip file you used to "flash" to Allmine. That will give you an idea of how the PE does it's flashinig. You do not want to overwrite the wrong portion of the existing ROM.

Good luck. Looking forward to your results.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
plasticarmyman

it's an apk that allows you to flash over a rfs.img or kernel via an in app user interface...so without having a recovery mode we could possibly flash over a recovery image....but i do not know if that could brick the device or not...especially if we do not have a stock recovery which i am trying to find out...
Old 05-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
plasticarmyman

and first step....theme's :P people love themes
Old 05-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
tekknogenius
Groupie

Again, I suggest looking at the update.sh file in the update.zip to see how the PE does it's flashing. I really think it would be a big help.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
plasticarmyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
Again, I suggest looking at the update.sh file in the update.zip to see how the PE does it's flashing. I really think it would be a big help.
it does it's flashing similar to many other Android devices....you can start with the UOT theme kitchen and uploading the framework-res.apk from inside the update.zip and flashing it over....it's a decent way to customize the look for yourself...

as for overclocking and undervolting...sorry, but i'm now going to have to back out because i sold my PE to a friend...
Old 05-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
tekknogenius
Groupie

Too bad! I was looking forward to some kernel development. I'll take a look at the framework-res and the UOT theme kitchen to see what you're referring to.

Sorry to see ya go.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
plasticarmyman

i really wanted to keep it, but i have a nook color...and she gace me an offer i couldn't refuse on the PE...i'm going to try and get another one asap and i'll be back here....i'm also going to try and see if i can get a virtual PE machine running on my laptop and possibly do some dev work from there
Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
plasticarmyman

oh, about the uot kitchen...

this is how you can go about themeing with it...

unzip the allmine.zip into a folder (let's call it allmine from now on) and find the framework-res.apk...i think it is in system2...upload it to the uot kitchen and then proceed to do the mods you would like to do...

place the modded framework-res.apk back into the folder you found it and then use winrar or winzip or 7zip or whatever you use to compress all the folders back into an update.zip again...the trick here is to use the lowest compression choice...in winrar you have the option to go as low as "store"...that is what i use...and then proceed to flash it over as you would any other update zip...

this should not brick your device in any way..it may modify it and make the tablet side unusable (by changing the size of certain things they may not fit the screen after the modding)...but you should be able to revert back to stock allmine just as easily...

i have not tried this, but the UOT kitchen is the best rom kitchen out there and i have used it for multiple Android devices without problem...

but anything that happens to your PE is not my fault...if you choose to modify the framework-res.apk...then it's your fault not mine...i hold no responsiblilty for your actions..or mine to be honest....