Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #46
MichaelV
Edge User

The main issue is that Entourage is either ill advise or living in the past. Did the update patched the security holes? NO! Did the update made the things more difficult for developers, YES. This is saying everything.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #47
robot
Edge User

I suspect that the real problem is that EE has no control over situation...
Entourage Systems is small company with about 25 employers, most of which are just managers.
All real work outsourced...
The real manufactor is: HON HAI Precision (Taiwan), which lead to foxconn (china)...
The Reader software mainly programmed by Adobe...
Java (android) programming -- outsourced to one group...
C (kernel, e-ink) programming -- another group...
Drivers -- propriative code -- programmed by manufactor...
as I see there were some traces that some developers located in India, Pakistan, China...
e.t.c.
Too many different groups.., too few people who "know how".., lack of communication, and no real control over all.

Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #48
MichaelV
Edge User

I think 25 is a lot, you are looking more to 2-5!!! it is a very disjunctive body over 3 continents!

Old 09-05-2010, 05:27 AM   #49
robot
Edge User

No, 20 people is absolutly minimum to make such company work...
CEO board: at least 3 people
software\hardware designers: at least 2 people
hardware enginers: at least 2 people
programmers: at least 3 people
financial: at least 3 people
PR: at least 1 people
Marketing: at least 2 people
Sales: at least 2 people
Logistic: at least 2 people
web forum and customer support: at least 5 people (as I see registered here )...
Totally 25 people...

Old 09-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #50
MichaelV
Edge User

2-5 people max. Everything apart CEO board is subcontracted. But this is beside the point. Who is doing the "Political" decision regarding GPL source, Rom protection, etc. The CEO board or the developer on the Indian continent? The board may not understand the technicalities and also I do not think they fully understood the implication of the GPL violations. I think the reason they release the partial code in the end was to avoid negative publicity.

Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #51
robot
Edge User

Even if everything will be subcontracted, they must to have managers who "know how" and can controll and test the work in place. CEO board is usually marketing and financial part only.., so 25 people is reasonable number IMHO.

p.s. also I forgot to mention legal adviser - 1 person.., but not sure if they have one

Old 09-06-2010, 12:43 AM   #52
jcase
Edge User

Entourage Systems has at least 25 employees, I suspect more.

http://www.linkedin.com/companies/entourage-systems-inc.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #53
PonMan
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
PonMan, LOL. Sorry, but it's so lamish....

Didn't You thought that _at first_, you need at least to make an option to SELL apps on Your market?
Um no. We were interested in our users having the ability to download and install apps; to extend the usefulness of their eDGe. Many users are not as savvy as the people on these boards and would not understand how to get apps without either the Google Market or from us. Selling them is obviously a goal, but initially as least we are just trying to meet customer needs.

Quote:
LOL, it takes 5 minute to:
a) download apk, from your site WITHOUT using EE.
b) or to copy paid apk from devices
c) or to copy installed apps.
and it takes another 2 minutes to:
a) patch odx/apk,
b) or to patch firmware.
c) to install in private envirement
And all those steps doesn't requre root.
This is simply not true. You do require root access to copy protected apks from /data/app-private/. It might only take YOU a few minutes to root your eDGe or change your user-agent so you can download apps directly from a PC browser, congratulations.

Quote:
LOL, So EE is the PHONE??? Why there's no google market then?
Phone ships blocked for simple reason: to not allow users to use phone as mobile hotspot (internet sharing). And to protect phone from dumb users. In first case they also patch some internal code to block tethering bu default. In second case they leave some options to enable adb for advanced users (voiding warranty by enabling it).
You assume. I guess you were not into Android when the dev G1 came out and all of the application developers were screaming about how easy it was for the dev phones to steal their apps. Google even stopped selling paid apps to dev phones due to this.

Google blocks paid market apps from dev phones

And getting the Google Market on a 10.1" tablet is easier said than done.

Quote:
P.S. yip, it's not problem to root device. But it's takes time. Not much time, but it makes me upset, as time mean money.
...I'm glad not much of your time was wasted. When we release our SDK, all the tools to develop on the eDGe will be available.

Currently our apps download directly into the download folder. This could result in users "sharing" (read: pirating by accident) paid applications they have downloaded. This would need to be changed with a market app that can download apks directly to /data/app-private/. Now, YOU might still be able to access these apps because you have rooted your eDGe. But we as a company have done our due diligence to prevent that.

Last edited by PonMan; 09-20-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #54
PonMan
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelV View Post
2-5 people max. Everything apart CEO board is subcontracted. But this is beside the point. Who is doing the "Political" decision regarding GPL source, Rom protection, etc. The CEO board or the developer on the Indian continent? The board may not understand the technicalities and also I do not think they fully understood the implication of the GPL violations. I think the reason they release the partial code in the end was to avoid negative publicity.
2-5 people? LOL

It's clear that some people on these boards understand what it takes to make a product and others, well...they provide the comic relief.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #55
pat.indie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonMan View Post
2-5 people? LOL

It's clear that some people on these boards understand what it takes to make a product and others, well...they provide the comic relief.
Come on PonMan, be realistic! If Steve Jobs can run Apple single handed (poor soul even has to make presentations at product launches!), 2-5 is too large a number for Entourage.

I think you guys should think about scaling down a bit (although I do hope you keep your job).

Old 09-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #56
MichaelV
Edge User

I bet PonMan is a contractor working from the Asian continent. not that is anything wrong with this....

Old 09-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #57
MichaelV
Edge User

PonMan is mistaken. you do not need root to install apps on your edge. just mark accept application from untrusted sources in settings. copy e.g. astro explorer apk on your sd card. use library to browse for the file. double click!! or use ES explorer to open apk. rooting takes 5 minutes as well.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:42 AM   #58
robot
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelV View Post
PonMan is mistaken. you do not need root to install apps on your edge. just mark accept application from untrusted sources in settings. copy e.g. astro explorer apk on your sd card. use library to browse for the file. double click!! or use ES explorer to open apk. rooting takes 5 minutes as well.
PonMan talked not about apk installation, but about copying (hijacking) paid apk from phone... so at some point he is right, BUT...

Quote:
This is simply not true. You do require root access to copy protected apks from /data/app-private/. It might only take YOU a few minutes to root your eDGe or change your user-agent so you can download apps directly from a PC browser, congratulations.
If YOU don't know how to copy apps from private WITHOUT root, it doesn't mean that it's impossible

Quote:
Many users are not as savvy as the people on these boards and would not understand how to get apps without either the Google Market or from us.
lol. People learn things fast, so even if thay are not savvy, they are not so dumb.

Quote:
Um no. We were interested in our users having the ability to download and install apps; to extend the usefulness of their eDGe. Many users are not as savvy as the people on these boards and would not understand how to get apps without either the Google Market or from us. Selling them is obviously a goal, but initially as least we are just trying to meet customer needs.
But I'm talking not about users, but about developers. There will be no good developers unless you give them an easy way to make money. Learn from Apple and their market success. Google android market is not a good example and they will use another sheme in future.

Quote:
You assume. I guess you were not into Android when the dev G1 came out and all of the application developers were screaming about how easy it was for the dev phones to steal their apps. Google even stopped selling paid apps to dev phones due to this.
You're right I'm not into android scene, but I'm close to security scene and Google inside. So the real problem is cookie cutter programmers which doesn't know how to really protect their apps. Learn from some russian devs like NTZ whose GPS/Navigator software for android is selling for 1 year (most popular navigator in Russia and Ukraine), but there's still no crack, or other way to bypass license )

Quote:
Currently our apps download directly into the download folder. This could result in users "sharing" (read: pirating by accident) paid applications they have downloaded. This would need to be changed with a market app that can download apks directly to /data/app-private/. Now, YOU might still be able to access these apps because you have rooted your eDGe. But we as a company have done our due diligence to prevent that.
It's not right to threat users as pirates. And I think You _as company_ must do your best to attract more users and developers (how many eDGe were sold in september? )

Last edited by robot; 09-22-2010 at 04:13 AM.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #59
MichaelV
Edge User

Notion ink adam will wipe any chance of success from edge. Also look at their attitude re: Developers. Devs are welcomed not alienated.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #60
MichaelV
Edge User

I mean you can backup apps with astro explorer from your phone / edge, even you are not rooted!!!! sorry if I was not very clear! so what good PonMan protection does?