Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2017, 06:10 AM   #46
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
The phrase that drives me into a rage is when I am told that a certain character's "world is turned upside down."

I can never bring myself to read past that point.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:32 AM   #47
E.M.DuBois
Connoisseur
E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S9+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
'World Building.'

It's use is the sign of a muddy mind. Or of a teen-aged face with pimples.
Why does it bring those images to your mind? "World Building" is simply creating the setting and how your story will fit into it. It's what all authors do, especially fantasy, sci-fi, and alternate-history writers.
E.M.DuBois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #48
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
The phrase that drives me into a rage is when I am told that a certain character's "world is turned upside down."

Just turn the book upside down and everything should be fine.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #49
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M.DuBois View Post
Why does it bring those images to your mind? "World Building" is simply creating the setting and how your story will fit into it. It's what all authors do, especially fantasy, sci-fi, and alternate-history writers.

Oh, I know what the word means.

I just think it's one of those concepts wherein the signified is no longer associated with its signifier, mainly due to over-use brought about through lazy-thinking writers and critics.

It's a tired, trite, and clichéd way to describe something, like using a mirror to initiate the description of a character.

"The world-building in this story is really great...." [My unifinished review.]
Old 09-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #50
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post

Every rule must have its exception. In this case the exception comes in the form of an animated short film by the name of Harvie Krumpet. Now, when I hear that phrase, I automatically think of poor Harvie, whose world was turned upside down and inside out again.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #51
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M.DuBois View Post
Do it but don't announce you are doing it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:32 PM   #52
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
"grab"

The character had to grab lunch on the way.
They were gunning up so he had to grab his pistol.
They grabbed a rental at the airport.
They didn't have time so they grabbed a quick kiss.

I don't mind the word when it's used to show haste, or to indicate the vernacular. I object when it's used too often.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #53
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
"grab"

The character had to grab lunch on the way.
They were gunning up so he had to grab his pistol.
They grabbed a rental at the airport.
They didn't have time so they grabbed a quick kiss.

I don't mind the word when it's used to show haste, or to indicate the vernacular. I object when it's used too often.
He grabbed her b u t would be appropriate. She then slapped his face or inserted her knee or elbow where it counts.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #54
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
He grabbed her b u t would be appropriate. She then slapped his face or inserted her knee or elbow where it counts.

He grabbed her what?

I insert letters into words. I don't know if I've ever inserted an elbow into a character. That sounds rather painful. For the character, I mean.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #55
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
He grabbed her what?

I insert letters into words. I don't know if I've ever inserted an elbow into a character. That sounds rather painful. For the character, I mean.

Obviously you have always been a good boy or you would have cringed at my elbow or knee comment.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #56
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
He grabbed her what?

He grabbed her Krumpet, but she turned his world upside down when she told him that although she lusted after him, she'd been convicted of a crime she hadn't committed, trying to world-build for her destitute cousins, who needed money.

Sorry, it's just too compelling to pass up. I can't put it down!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #57
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
He grabbed her Krumpet, but she turned his world upside down when she told him that although she lusted after him, she'd been convicted of a crime she hadn't committed, trying to world-build for her destitute cousins, who needed money.

Sorry, it's just too compelling to pass up. I can't put it down!

Hitch
Have you been trolling my Facebook page?
Old 09-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #58
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Is Krumpet the name of her dog or something? Why is it capitalized?

(I didn't say "cat" on purpose. It would have been way too easy.)
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:14 PM   #59
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Is Krumpet the name of her dog or something? Why is it capitalized?

(I didn't say "cat" on purpose. It would have been way too easy.)
GMW brought up Harvie Krumpet. As I am homaging all the dreck here, least I could do was capitalize the K.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:58 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Mother of God.

My favorite review was the guy who posted a 2 star review, complaining that after spending his money, he still doesn't know how to moon people. Priceless.

Hitch
I like this one:

Quote:
Moon People has reshaped my literary perceptions. After reading the heroic story of Captain David Braymer, 1st Science Officer of the space ship USS Lunar Base One, I feel as if I have been unbound from the restraints put in place by a dozen English teachers. "Amazing", I said to myself, when I realized the linguistic flexibility that comes from releasing character speech from its quotation marks. There is a certain joy that comes with exercising the freedom to end a sentence on any punctuation, even a comma. Question marks needn't be for interrogative statements! Must we bind every interjection to an exclamation point?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote