Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #91
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
Flash is a known issue, but my understanding is Adobe stopped Flash support for all android devices, so it's not just a Nook thing.

You could try using BN's Flash plugin, this worked for me for most content.

Before you add the plugin, login to BN.com to edit your BN account info to a USA address, if it isn't already. Unfortunately, you'll have to provide credit card info for this 'free' purchase.

Puffin browser in the play store (get the free version to try) also comes with a 2 week trial of whatever version of flash they use.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #92
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Strange. If you load a book and click on it, do you have the option to open it in "Reader" in addition to whatever else you might use such as Cool Reader?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #93
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedtea View Post
Flash is a known issue, but my understanding is Adobe stopped Flash support for all android devices, so it's not just a Nook thing.

You could try using BN's Flash plugin, this worked for me for most content.

Before you add the plugin, login to BN.com to edit your BN account info to a USA address, if it isn't already. Unfortunately, you'll have to provide credit card info for this 'free' purchase.

Puffin browser in the play store (get the free version to try) also comes with a 2 week trial of whatever version of flash they use.
I did try downloading the plugin, but it hasnt done anything.
My B&N account has a US address, even my credit card details have a US address.
The plugin is showing in my B&N account, I just dont know how to install it. There is no install button.
Same as I have 2 game apps in my B&N account that I 'bought' when they were free. They show in my account but I cant get them to install or download. Theres no link to do so.

All B&N account settings are US, but even when I use TunnelBear on my Nook, I cant get those few things to install.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #94
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Strange. If you load a book and click on it, do you have the option to open it in "Reader" in addition to whatever else you might use such as Cool Reader?
I'm not sure. I vaguely think I might have had that as an option (although I'm not completely sure) but I think I checked a box to set a default reading app, and now my books just open and I dont know what app they are using.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #95
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
I did try downloading the plugin, but it hasnt done anything.
My B&N account has a US address, even my credit card details have a US address...
Ok, I think this is what I did to get it working, it was a while back:

Go to your apps list on the nook, and see if the plugin is listed (it should be if your 'purchase' was successful.) Open/click on the plugin, I think this step is needed because the web browsers (except Puffin, which uses its own flash) don't seem to automatically detect it. (?)

Also, I added the plugin while logged into the bn site in a browser, not through their 'shop' button on the nook itself - don't know if that makes a difference. And I logged out afterwards.

I don't think Chrome supports flash at all - it (the plugin) worked for me with Dolphin browser.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #96
Chapter One
Screen Swiper

Thanks Icedtea, I appreciate your help.
I have been playing around with all sorts of settings, and I think I now have flash working. At least I can now watch videos on the TVOndemand app.
One thing I changed was to uninstall Tunnelbear and try Spotflux instead, that may have made a difference.
Certainly with Spotflux running I can now access the B&N shop through my Firefox browser and buy from them.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #97
lifer109
lifer109 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard and now Nook HD+
Do a search for my other posts, There is a way to get flash working, along with other android programs.
John
lifer109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:10 AM   #98
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
BN Flash plugin works with Firefox browser.
As for the reading app I don't think you actually see it in the app list. Open Library and click on a book and it should take you to the reader.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #99
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
To get flash on the HD/HD+, you can also download the Adobe flash plugin for Android directly from the Adobe site and then sideload it to your device. It is archived on this page:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...hived_versions

Then just install a browser that supports flash and you're good to go. Chrome does not support flash, but Firefox does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
I'm not sure. I vaguely think I might have had that as an option (although I'm not completely sure) but I think I checked a box to set a default reading app, and now my books just open and I dont know what app they are using.
You can clear it in CC by going into Settings and clicking on "Clear default reader apps." The menu of readers should then pop up when you click to read a book. The native B&N reader is simply called "Reader" in the list.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 11-02-2013 at 08:19 AM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #100
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
To get flash on the HD/HD+, you can also download the Adobe flash plugin for Android directly from the Adobe site and then sideload it to your device. It is archived on this page:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...hived_versions

Then just install a browser that supports flash and you're good to go. Chrome does not support flash, but Firefox does.
I installed an app that told me I needed flash to use it, so I just went to B&N and downloaded something called 'Flash Plug-in' app. It took a few minutes for it to sync to my HD+, but then the app worked fine.

(When I tried to install the Adobe flash plugin, I got a message that B&N had it blocked).

Is there an easy way to turn off 'sync' messages that flash when I'm watching Netflix? I can't find where it is. I'm a true Luddite

ETA: It might be 'updating' messages that annoyingly flash when Netflix is playing. They aren't on the screen long enough to even click.

Last edited by DianNC; 11-03-2013 at 10:56 AM.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #101
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post

(When I tried to install the Adobe flash plugin, I got a message that B&N had it blocked).
In order to sideload apps to the stock ROM it has to modified. I used one from a thread over at XDA. Here is the link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613

The mod works very well, and afterward, you can install a ton of apps that are initially listed as incompatible with your device in the Play store.

Quote:

Is there an easy way to turn off 'sync' messages that flash when I'm watching Netflix? I can't find where it is. I'm a true Luddite

ETA: It might be 'updating' messages that annoyingly flash when Netflix is playing. They aren't on the screen long enough to even click.
I have watched entire movies in the Netflix app on my HD+ and I don't recall getting any messages popping up on the screen while watching. I do have Auto-Sync turned off in settings, but am not sure if that's the reason why because only a small portion of my apps are listed underneath that.

What do the messages say? If you pause the movie when that happens and then go into your notification center, it may tell you what message just popped up.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #102
alekhkhanna
alekhkhanna began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Just bought a Nook HD+ !

Hey guys,
So, quite literally, bought a new Nook HD+ a couple of weeks back. With the international shipping and all (I stay in India), should get it in a couple of days. Pretty excited as I've heard good things about the screen, plus the expandable memory is a boon. I mainly plan to use it as a go-to comic reader (I'm 29 BTW ) and occasionally play movies/shows (loads of travel due to work). *Might* read some books on it as well, though I do prefer my physical books very much.
Just thought of saying "Hi" to all fellow Nook-ers. Discovering the site slowly. Seems like a pretty awesome community !
For those reading comics, which one's better: the native Nook Reader or ComicRack (or some other app from Play Store) ?
alekhkhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #103
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by alekhkhanna View Post
For those reading comics, which one's better: the native Nook Reader or ComicRack (or some other app from Play Store) ?
Moon+ Reader Pro will read almost anything.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nreaderp&hl=en

I use it on my HD+ to read cbr & cbz & pdf comics and it is superb. There is a free version to play with but that doesn't have pdf.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...onreader&hl=en

Connects directly to a Calibre server which is also great.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #104
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alekhkhanna View Post
Hey guys,
So, quite literally, bought a new Nook HD+ a couple of weeks back. With the international shipping and all (I stay in India), should get it in a couple of days. Pretty excited as I've heard good things about the screen, plus the expandable memory is a boon. I mainly plan to use it as a go-to comic reader (I'm 29 BTW ) and occasionally play movies/shows (loads of travel due to work). *Might* read some books on it as well, though I do prefer my physical books very much.
Just thought of saying "Hi" to all fellow Nook-ers. Discovering the site slowly. Seems like a pretty awesome community !
Good buy! I'm quite happy with mine. The screen res IS terrific, and while it is not the fastest tablet out there, it's quite adequate for reading and simple gaming/browsing.
Welcome to the club.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #105
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
In order to sideload apps to the stock ROM it has to modified. I used one from a thread over at XDA. Here is the link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613

The mod works very well, and afterward, you can install a ton of apps that are initially listed as incompatible with your device in the Play store.
Thanks, Pat! I read over that and it looks a bit advanced for me, but maybe I can get my teenage neighbor to help me.

Quote:
I have watched entire movies in the Netflix app on my HD+ and I don't recall getting any messages popping up on the screen while watching. I do have Auto-Sync turned off in settings, but am not sure if that's the reason why because only a small portion of my apps are listed underneath that.

What do the messages say? If you pause the movie when that happens and then go into your notification center, it may tell you what message just popped up.
I forgot about that -- but there they were, a bunch of messages about 'updating' apps like Chrome, Google, Google+. I finally found what to turn off in settings -- I guess I can just leave it like that? I turned off 'message notifications' and Auto-Sync.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote