Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
After Kovid (who created Calibre) replied to your question, this is a summary of your response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muellerbenjamin View Post

Well there is hardly something 'incorrect' in my Gmail config, ....

I think a more sober assessment would be...

You should explore .....

Ah, to be ignorant or rude...that is the question. Passive aggressive is a poor substitute for courtesy.
I stand by my original comment...oye!

Last edited by GoSharks; 10-18-2013 at 10:34 AM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #17
muellerbenjamin
muellerbenjamin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Ah, to be ignorant or rude...that is the question. Passive aggressive is a poor substitute for courtesy.
I stand by my original comment...oye!
Trouble is - you're not helping anyone. Why are you even on this forum? To hand out facepalms and pretend to be some kind of moral authority? I prefer contributors who help users solve functionality issues.

For starters, if you could be so kind as to explain what exactly is meant by 'Gmail configuration', that would be much appreciated. There is little to configure in Gmail, other than visuals, layout, forwarding rules, multiple inboxes etc. But I struggle to think of how my Gmail config could have anything to do with the issue at hand. As for the configuration of Gmail on my Calibre, the fact that I have tried to set up the e-mail functionality about two dozen times with three different email addresses should rule out any kind of configuration error there.

How about you re-read my OP, and subsequent posts, actually *think* for a bit, and *then* make a suggestion as to what the problem could be (shocker!). Let me guess: you won't have anything to offer other than another self-righteous observation that will make you feel smug and satisfied with your dinghy little life.
muellerbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Have you tried turning off your anti-virus to see if it is the problem? Some anti-virus programs consider calibre's heavy use of files suspicious. If that solves it, you might exempt the calibre directory from its scrutiny.

Is there any reason at all to have encryption going on in this particular use of your mail program? Could this be part of the problem?
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
As for the configuration of Gmail on my Calibre, the fact that I have tried to set up the e-mail functionality about two dozen times with three different email addresses should rule out any kind of configuration error there.
Since it seems at present that gmail works for everyone else in calibre it does not rule out this area. It is the single area where folks consistently make errors over and over again. If it isn't some odd firewall or virus checking issue your problem is with your setup in calibre.

If you have a single verification account and it says bad username or password then most likely you have done something incorrect.

I just setup for the first time on this install, email. I attached images of my process. In the Sharing books by email screen you can copy your username and password to place them as credentials in a web logon screen of gmail to verify they work.

You need to use your full username with the @gmail.com. Type this info in don't copy it from elsewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	setup gmail.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	113657   Click image for larger version

Name:	sharing books by email.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	113658   Click image for larger version

Name:	test email settings.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	113659   Click image for larger version

Name:	test email settings-2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	113660  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #20
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
make a suggestion....
Unfortunately, the only suggestion I could make to you would probably get me suspended from the forum. So I will do to you as I have done to all the other trolls that come and visit...introduce you to my ignore list. You will find five others of your kind there and I'm sure you will get along famously!

edit- Apologies, I just checked and there were only four people in my ignore list before you, which makes you rather a fifth wheel..... though I suspect you are used to that distinction.

Last edited by GoSharks; 10-19-2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Correction
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Some anti-virus programs
Which one's then ?
Quote:
consider calibre's heavy use of files suspicious.
Compared with what - a photo library manager, a music library manager, a programmers workbench - the products I use for those tasks are much heavier users of the file system than calibre is. In fact calibre is a relatively light user of the host file system, this due its single file database, use of techniques like delayed writes of opf's etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I had similar problems a couple of years ago, and I can't remember what it was that eventually fixed them. Seems to me it was a problem with my free kindle account configuration, not my gmail one.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #23
muellerbenjamin
muellerbenjamin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I just setup for the first time on this install, email. I attached images of my process. In the Sharing books by email screen you can copy your username and password to place them as credentials in a web logon screen of gmail to verify they work.

You need to use your full username with the @gmail.com. Type this info in don't copy it from elsewhere.

Quote:
Have you tried turning off your anti-virus to see if it is the problem? Some anti-virus programs consider calibre's heavy use of files suspicious. If that solves it, you might exempt the calibre directory from its scrutiny.
Thank you both for your suggestions. I followed them step by step and managed to get email functionality to work. Much appreciated - you two have solved a truly vexing issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Unfortunately, the only suggestion I could make to you would probably get me suspended from the forum.
That pretty much speaks for itself. You've clearly got nothing to offer on here other than being a punk. Maybe you should try make a friend out in the real world (pbly tough for you - I understand) instead of being a waste of space on the internet? Check out the work of MrMikel and DoctorOhh for an illustration of how one can make a positive contribution to this forum instead of quasi-posturing.
muellerbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #24
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thank you both for your suggestions. I followed them step by step and managed to get email functionality to work. Much appreciated - you two have solved a truly vexing issue.
You're welcome.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote