Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
Was the starborn reference in one of the other books? I don't recall it, but I haven't read them in a while.
Star Born was referred, but I think this was the first time it we were actually told what it meant.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:14 AM   #17
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Star Born was referred, but I think this was the first time it we were actually told what it meant.
Also, Harry does starborn stuff without knowing any better, right from the beginning when he banished He Who Walks Behind that Justin summoned to kill him. Except that time it was a lucky accident.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2020, 11:02 PM   #18
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished up Battleground. Since the title of the thread says spoilers, I'll assume that also applies for Battleground.

All in all, I thought that Battleground was a very good book, like a lot of basically two part books, the first was the set up and the second was the payoff. Fairly obviously, this sets up the series to go off in a somewhat different direction. From that standpoint there a similarities between this one and Changes.

I'll put spoiler around the next part

Spoiler:

Obviously killing off Murphy, the engagement to Laura, the fact that Justine was taken over by a watcher and the upcoming battle between Dresden and the White Council are the big changes that point to the new direction of the story arc. The revelation about Marcone is another big change.

One piece of speculation I would make is that there will be a break in the White Council and a group of wizards will join Dresden in his new abode, otherwise, why would he need the Castle? We will see.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:46 PM   #19
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All in all, I thought that Battleground was a very good book, like a lot of basically two part books, the first was the set up and the second was the payoff.
Thank you. In your opinion, is Peace Talks and Battleground together a complete book when compared to the previous ones in the series? As in case finished, big story arc progressed, but wide open. Has the editing improved a little bit from Peace Talks?
Old 10-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Thank you. In your opinion, is Peace Talks and Battleground together a complete book when compared to the previous ones in the series? As in case finished, big story arc progressed, but wide open. Has the editing improved a little bit from Peace Talks?
Yes, I think it best to think of them as one long book, thus them getting published with in 2 months of each other.

I never really noticed the editing issues in Peace Talks. It has to be really bad for me to notice. My brain just fills in what it should have been without me really noticing.
Advert
Old 10-01-2020, 09:18 PM   #21
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, I think it best to think of them as one long book, thus them getting published with in 2 months of each other.

I never really noticed the editing issues in Peace Talks. It has to be really bad for me to notice. My brain just fills in what it should have been without me really noticing.
I will treat them as one long book instead of two short ones. As for the editing, other than abruptly ending, Peace Talks had a good flow to me, but frequently typos and grammatical errors snuck in that I don't recall as badly from older books. If you didn't notice, possibly I was too critical.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:03 AM   #22
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
the thing is, they're pretty long each for half a book. it worked out well for me. but i wouldn't read battleground first. on the other hand, i couldn't read changes after ghost story, either.

peace talks and battle ground i'd say do conclude but have opened doors for more changes within the large arc.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:50 AM   #23
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

So, no one else read these books and wanted to comment on them?
Old 10-31-2020, 09:12 AM   #24
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
So, no one else read these books and wanted to comment on them?
I have it on hold - should get to it next month...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #25
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Seems to me Butcher Jim has not really but the series to bed, but left it open to create a follow up series.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #26
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
He's said for a long time that he has a 20 (21?) book arc planned out for this, so it doesn't surprise me that the series doesn't feel completed.

I'm not sure if his number has increased by 1 with Battle Ground or if this was always intended though.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:51 PM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
He's said for a long time that he has a 20 (21?) book arc planned out for this, so it doesn't surprise me that the series doesn't feel completed.

I'm not sure if his number has increased by 1 with Battle Ground or if this was always intended though.
I get the impression that Peace Talks/Battle Ground was intended to be one book. Assuming it doesn't expand more, that implies 3 or 4 more books in the series. To a certain extent, he's running into the Superman syndrome, i.e. as Dresden becomes much more powerful, he requires much more powerful enemies.

IMPO, the series feels like it's approaching a wrap up. Most of the on going story lines seem to be wrapped up - Murphy for example. We still have the outsiders as the main issue. With a few other issues that I think get wrapped before the outsiders - i.e. the Winter Court, the White Council, his brother, his daughter and the 3rd knight.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:59 PM   #28
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
Seems to me Butcher Jim has not really but the series to bed, but left it open to create a follow up series.
I wouldn't be shocked if he has stories set in the same universe. I think a lot depends on how the other series goes, i.e. does the Cinder Spires series sell or not. If I recall correctly, he's under contract for 3 books in that series.

The other thing to consider is that he's been writing for 20 years and is almost 50. A lot of writers slow down a lot after 20 years or so, especially if they are pretty successful and don't need the money.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:08 PM   #29
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I get the impression that Peace Talks/Battle Ground was intended to be one book. Assuming it doesn't expand more, that implies 3 or 4 more books in the series. To a certain extent, he's running into the Superman syndrome, i.e. as Dresden becomes much more powerful, he requires much more powerful enemies.
That has been true ever since the first book. Harry has always been dealing with too strong opponents, and it is usually small versions of something much bigger. Storm Front is mini Changes as the same bloodline curse is used. Dead Beat will be a mini finale with his death curse "die alone." Doesn't necessarily mean we will see him die, but that there won't be anyone left he cares about. While gathering power he will need to get a few goodies yet. Unfortunately also means more deaths coming. There is no way he won't end up with the Blackstaff being the Blackstaff, but that would probably only work through Ebenezar's death.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 11-16-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:33 AM   #30
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Just started listening to Peace Talks as an audiobook. James Marsters is once again the one, true narrator for the Dresden Files. One aspect of audiobooks is that it's difficult to go into scan mode when things are a bit slow. Peace Talks with the whole "wow, it's so great to be a dad" stuff and the somewhat unexplained confrontation between McCoy and Dresden starts a bit slow. Some of it I suspect was a set up for the break between Dresden and the White Council, but I think that it's also a set up for something to come as Dresden consolidates power from the White Vampires, Winter Court and lesser magical talents. We are still waiting for that 3rd Knight of the Sword.