Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-10-2005, 02:49 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Palm or Pocket PC: Which to choose?

This is always a hot topic so we're always glad to pass on more info to those that are interested. The newest entry into the analysis is "eugenia" with a post at TuxTops. If you just can't get enough articles about advantages and disadvantages of each, this one is just for you!

(via Slashdot)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
5. PalmOS doesn't let you install applications on built-in storage or flash cards, at least not without third party, nasty, hacks. Only data can be installed on flash cards.
Uhhh... Since when can't I do that? I've got apps running off the Memory Stick on my Clie just fine. Some of them don't, but the vast majority do run, well.

I've got a 8 MB memory stick (whee, small app size for PalmOS!) with about 15 games on it (Space Trader, some random other freeware/open-source ones, etc.), running fine (not even using the entire 8 MB!). Don't those count as apps running on a flash memory card?
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
That's the problem with comparisons between Palm and PPC OS stuff like that. The reviewers, are usually only one sided or heavily sided on one platform or another.

In Chaos' point, he's right. Palm OS DOES allow you to install applications to the memory card directly, and without using third party applications. Going through the HotSync versions, Palm OS 4 and corresponding Desktop Software (Palm hardware model) you were required to use third party software, but it could be done. But when Palm went to OS 5, it was a whole new game. And they quickly worked out the glitches, too.

Now the issue that I have, now that I'm on PPC platform myself, is that with PPC, you have a Registry on the handheld. In theory, it's a GREAT and wonderful concept. Heck, in most situations it's even nice. But the software in practice and application however, heavily uses that registry. This is a PAIN in the butt, because, if you install an application to the SD card, for example, and Hard Reset your handheld, you STILL HAVE TO REINSTALL THE APPLICATIONS ON THE CARD. This is a waste of time, in my opinion. Note: I have not extensively tested this, so there may well be a lot of applications that dont fit in my example.

And this is where I fit in to my own example at top. I'm still heavily PalmOS centric, despite now having switched to a PPC handheld. Go figure. :-)
derekweb is offline   Reply With Quote