Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Angry Why Is Basic Formatting So Difficult?

Hey guys, first time poster. I've recently ordered a Kindle 2 and in anticipation I've been converting my existing collection of LIT and PDF files to PRC.

I realize no conversion process will be perfect, particularly for PDF files. But I don't understand why no converter seems to get even LIT files formatted properly. All I want is something to preserves the indentations and spacing between paragraphs... yet they all fail to varying degrees. I've downloaded the ABC LIT converter, the Mobipocket Reader and Creator, Mobigen, Book Designer, even BD2MOBI, and they all help the conversion process in various ways, but none of them very well.

Is there ANY simple method for converting LIT to PRC/MOBI while preserving basic formatting? Or do I always have to edit HTML by hand? Why is this so difficult? (And PDF I realize has its own issues... but I'm not asking for embedded diagrams and graphics; just simple formatting.)
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I use Book Designer and Mobipocket Creator.
I find that one has to do some editing, but that Lit is one of the most straightforward conversions.

You might have a look at theis list of BD hints and tips:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36908
Set the language to German. Check your settings in Configuration/settings, so as to preserve formatting and keep empty lines.

And if BD isn't doing what you require then do try Calibre.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, it seems like ConvertLIT is what I was looking for. It seems to convert to the OPF much better than the ABC LIT converter, and then Mobipocket Creator does the rest. Finally, success! But why can't one program do all this?

And PDF conversion is sitll annoying. :P But I've made progress. It just really shouldn't be this difficult to convert between formats.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Actually, it seems like ConvertLIT is what I was looking for. It seems to convert to the OPF much better than the ABC LIT converter, and then Mobipocket Creator does the rest. Finally, success! But why can't one program do all this?
lit2mobi (part of MobiPerl) convert in one step and has some special flags to handle strange HTML code.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur

Thanks, but I'm not going to install Perl on Windows just for that.
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm not going to install Perl on Windows just for that.
There are Windows binaries. I do not know which process is best. I think using MobiPocket Creator is better for some files and using lit2mobi is better for some files.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur

I looked for Windows binaries on your website and all I could find were links to Perl binaries to use with your scripts. Just to be clear, there's no GUI "lit2mobi.exe" or the like.

Last edited by sirbruce; 02-10-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Calibre (which has its own forum here) can do this in one step. Import the DRM-free LIT and export DRM-free MOBI. Calibre will probably be able to automatically copy the MOBIs to your Kindle 2 via USB as well (it already does this for the Kindle 1). If you get a different device in the future, Calibe will most likely support it too.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur

Calibre seems pretty awesome! Don't know how I missed it before.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I looked for Windows binaries on your website and all I could find were links to Perl binaries to use with your scripts. Just to be clear, there's no GUI "lit2mobi.exe" or the like.
The correct web page is:

https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/mobiperl/

and there is a download link on that page:

https://dev.mobileread.com/dist/tompe/mobiperl/

The windows binaries are there. lit2mobi is a command line program so very suitable for converting a lot of books at the same time.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:50 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
And PDF conversion is sitll annoying. :P But I've made progress. It just really shouldn't be this difficult to convert between formats.
PDF was never intended to be an eBook format - it was intended to be a representation of a printed page.

A PDF file just contains instructions at the level of "draw a letter 'A' at coordinates x,y on the page". It knows nothing about paragraphs, lines, or even words. That is why PDF conversion is problematic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote