Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
dlovely
Enthusiast
dlovely began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
I don't think it will ever be "days of use" like my kindle. I'm about to just keep it plugged in all the time with a right angle usb plug. It's a distraction to see it fully charged then while reading I can't help but notice bars disappearing so quickly. I'm no battery expert so I don't know how it could've been improved (larger?) but either way it's not portable from my perspective. I know comparing it to the kindle is apples to oranges but one would think it could survive for several hours without dipping down low.
dlovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #17
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
This update was only half of the software, there is another APM mode that is still planned for a future update. I agree though, they shouldn't have advertised "days of use" before APM was finished.
Yes, they said the hibernate(suspend-to-flash) consumes very small energy.. but it takes 10 seconds (according to them) to get back from hibernate. I won't use that while reading or note-taking...it's just a fast booting. So, it seems there's no way to achieve, say 24 hours, of reading.... that's not only less than their advertisement, but also significantly less than other devices.

In my view, they had to finish the software first, discover the problem, fix hardware/software together, and then sell the product. Maybe they could offer battery upgrade program like iLiad..but I don't know if DR has any more space..
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #18
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
even 10-12 hours would be much better for me. It is as if no apm functionality is active in my device. I'll have to give it a go with a few full discharges (one already happened last night.). let's see if calibration will work out (fingers crossed)
the device has become so usual for me, I'd not like to send it back for a battery replacement etc
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #19
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp_iliad View Post
Yes, they said the hibernate(suspend-to-flash) consumes very small energy.. but it takes 10 seconds (according to them) to get back from hibernate. I won't use that while reading or note-taking...it's just a fast booting. So, it seems there's no way to achieve, say 24 hours, of reading.... that's not only less than their advertisement, but also significantly less than other devices.
You're probably not going to be continuously reading for 24 hours. Their "days of use" advertisement is probably assuming that some of that time will be spent in hibernate mode.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #20
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
even 10-12 hours would be much better for me. It is as if no apm functionality is active in my device. I'll have to give it a go with a few full discharges (one already happened last night.). let's see if calibration will work out (fingers crossed)
the device has become so usual for me, I'd not like to send it back for a battery replacement etc
Your situation sounds unusual. If it doesn't get better, I'd open a ticket on their tech support site and see what they say about it. Maybe it's a bad battery or something didn't go right with the update in your case?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #21
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
I opened a ticket indeed. I was really looking forward to sleep functionality
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #22
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp_iliad View Post
... So, it seems there's no way to achieve, say 24 hours, of reading.... that's not only less than their advertisement, but also significantly less than other devices.
Do keep in mind that the screen is a bit larger than that of other e-Ink devices. It's really the only eInk device that provides for comfortable PDF/technical paper reading. Sure they aren't really providing what they promised but at least they're getting closer and right now with the new FM my feeling is approx 8 hours of reading is possible on the device which should be enough for most people's purposes.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote