Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Happy April 7th Everybody!

Today is officially the last day of the first week of April, that means we will get the cybook update today! Bookeen has proven themselves dependable and trustworthy and wouldn't dream of disappointing thousands of their customers, so I am positive it will be here before midnight.

Anybody know what time it is in Paris?
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
The same time as in Amsterdam, at this time 21:20. The only escape they have is: The first full week of April. And that one started today. Last week started on March 31st
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
The same time as in Amsterdam, at this time 21:20. The only escape they have is: The first full week of April. And that one started today. Last week started on March 31st

Yeah, well, I'm cutting them some slack because we've been through this often enough that I'm figuring we'll see it by the end of the THIRD FULL CALENDAR WEEK. If it arrives before then, I'll be pleasantly surprised. If it arrives before this Saturday, I'll be MASSIVELY surprised.

Derek

P.S. And, yes, I'd rather they got this update correct more than on time.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I think we'll see it later on in the week.

If they come out with it on friday then I'd suggest people be ultra cautious. If there's a critical bug in it they won't be around to fix it over the weekend.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
Today is officially the last day of the first week of April, that means we will get the cybook update today! Bookeen has proven themselves dependable and trustworthy and wouldn't dream of disappointing thousands of their customers, so I am positive it will be here before midnight.

Anybody know what time it is in Paris?
Hmm... in the US calendar the first week of April ended on the 5th... first business week ended on the 4th.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

The first week of april = april 1 - april 7.

Last edited by cmbs; 04-07-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post

If they come out with it on friday then I'd suggest people be ultra cautious. If there's a critical bug in it they won't be around to fix it over the weekend.
But we have the first update that works so you could probably not break it.

But I have lowered my expectations. In the interview that was quoted they said it was a bug fix firmware release. So I do not expect any new features and I would not be surprised if the release is nearly identical with the 538 build but with a better installer.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
cmbs
non-believer

Quote:

As if they would fix a critical bug in two days if it weren't a weekend. Because they are so concerned about customer satisfaction and quality service. What if they tested it before posting it? What if they didn't say it was going to be posted when it isn't? (gasp!)

But seriously. Save your system folder to your computer's hard drive. If the update sucks (which wouldn't surprise me at all), then you can just switch it out for your current system folder.

I know, I'm a freaking genius.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I don't know anything about how they do anything. But, at our shop before we "release" something it has been put through QA and beta testing and controlled release. You would hope the bookeen has done at least some of this so there is confidence about the release.

Not being a CyBook owner I would ask, do they have a history of releaseing updates that cause problems or are worse than the previous version?

BOb
Old 04-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As if they would fix a critical bug in two days if it weren't a weekend. Because they are so concerned about customer satisfaction and quality service. What if they tested it before posting it? What if they didn't say it was going to be posted when it isn't? (gasp!)

But seriously. Save your system folder to your computer's hard drive. If the update sucks (which wouldn't surprise me at all), then you can just switch it out for your current system folder.

I know, I'm a freaking genius.
That would imply it'd simply be a software update rather than a firmware update. There's surely some way to update the firmware, and if they cock that up, then simply restoring the software isn't going to cut it.

Edit : As far as I know they've only released one update, which I believe was just software.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That would imply it'd simply be a software update rather than a firmware update. There's surely some way to update the firmware, and if they cock that up, then simply restoring the software isn't going to cut it.

Edit : As far as I know they've only released one update, which I believe was just software.
There may not be any of the reader's functionality in a firmware. The "firmware" may be only the embedded linux OS... or maybe even not and the "firmware" is only BIOS.

(In other words it may more follow the PC model than the TiVO model.)

BOb
Old 04-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
Halk
Fanatic

Yep. But there's still a chance of it, so I'll sit back. It's not as if it desperately needs the update anyway.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There may not be any of the reader's functionality in a firmware. The "firmware" may be only the embedded linux OS... or maybe even not and the "firmware" is only BIOS.

(In other words it may more follow the PC model than the TiVO model.)

BOb
The firmware contains it all. Well, let me rephrase that. If one gets the update which is larger than 9MB, it contains EVERYTHING. But an update of 5MB or less, just contains that part of the firmware that is changing. The OS an app, combined, are quite small-footprint.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
The firmware contains it all. Well, let me rephrase that. If one gets the update which is larger than 9MB, it contains EVERYTHING. But an update of 5MB or less, just contains that part of the firmware that is changing. The OS an app, combined, are quite small-footprint.

Derek
I guess it depends on your definiition of firmware. A system folder on the devices non-volitile RAM drive could be called firmware. I usually think of firmware as code stored in a ROM chip.

For example, in a PC, the BIOS is firmware but the OS is software... the only real difference is where it is stored. Also firmware is usually specific to a specialized piece of hardware.

BOb
Old 04-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #15
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
The first week of april = april 1 - april 7.
Those are the first seven days

On my calender a week starts at Monday.

So the first real week in April = April 7th - April 13th
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote