Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
boskyout
boskyout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
My new Kindle Touch cannot get jailbroken!

Hi all,

I bought my first Kindle Touch yesterday. Immediately as I got it, I wanted to jailbroke it as Yifan Lu wrote. However, when I was jailbreaking, it will display the screen saver several seconds after I press the jailbreak button. I found that the version of my KT is 5.0.1, and I guess this is the question. What's your opinions and how to settle it?
boskyout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
How do you know it didn't work if you never tried to install a package?
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
MatzeMatz
Enthusiast
MatzeMatz began at the beginning.

My devices also had 5.0.1 out of the box - and I was able to Jailbreak them without hassle.

So why do you think it did not work?
MatzeMatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
miguelos
Enthusiast
miguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toys

Device: K3-3G, KT SO
If you used search, or just read whole jailbreaking thread you would FIND I made the same stupid mistake
miguelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
lkewei
lkewei began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boskyout View Post
Hi all,

I bought my first Kindle Touch yesterday. Immediately as I got it, I wanted to jailbroke it as Yifan Lu wrote. However, when I was jailbreaking, it will display the screen saver several seconds after I press the jailbreak button. I found that the version of my KT is 5.0.1, and I guess this is the question. What's your opinions and how to settle it?
You can try to ssh access, your KT should be rooted already.
lkewei is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The Kindle displaying the screen saver shortly after the jailbreak is not a bug, but a feature -- i.e. a part of how the jailbreak works.

At least, install usbnetwork and try to connect to your device before you claim that the jailbreak doesn't work.

Look at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking for explanations.

(@all: yeah, blatant marketing of the Wiki page, I know. I still think it's useful ;-) )
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
boskyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The Kindle displaying the screen saver shortly after the jailbreak is not a bug, but a feature -- i.e. a part of how the jailbreak works.

At least, install usbnetwork and try to connect to your device before you claim that the jailbreak doesn't work.

Look at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking for explanations.

(@all: yeah, blatant marketing of the Wiki page, I know. I still think it's useful ;-) )
So, you mean that as long as this feature appears, my KT has the jailbreak already?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
boskyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelos View Post
If you used search, or just read whole jailbreaking thread you would FIND I made the same stupid mistake
OK, and I think I know the fact. Thank you! I will try it and give you the result back.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:23 AM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boskyout View Post
So, you mean that as long as this feature appears, my KT has the jailbreak already?
Yes. You have installed the jailbreak, but you will of course have to make use of it to actually see any effect. Note that the jailbreak is generally of not terribly much use if you don't know hot to install and use usbnetwork.

You may still want to try out the GUI launcher (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...g#GUI_Launcher). Other than that, I guess you'll have to dig deeper to see what you can actually use the jailbreak for. The jailbreak is currently primarily useful for developers, not for users (yet).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
boskyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Yes. You have installed the jailbreak, but you will of course have to make use of it to actually see any effect. Note that the jailbreak is generally of not terribly much use if you don't know hot to install and use usbnetwork.

You may still want to try out the GUI launcher (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...g#GUI_Launcher). Other than that, I guess you'll have to dig deeper to see what you can actually use the jailbreak for. The jailbreak is currently primarily useful for developers, not for users (yet).
I have used the usbnetwork already and replaced the fonts to what I like. Btw, I love the Kindle Touch very much. I want to learn be a kindle touch developer, could you show me some ways to approach it? I have some C skills, what should I learn first to be a developer? @yifanlu.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
@boskyout: downloading and reading the GPL source code from amazon is a good place to start. It is written in C.

You can also study the scripts in the /etc/ folders in your kindle.

There is also some javascript code, and HTML5, and various configuration files inside your kindle that are worthy of study, depending on what interests you and what kind of projects you want to work on.

Another thing to examine is the source code and scripting distributed with most kindle hacks.

And there are some kindlets available as well, written in Java.

Another rich source of valuable information is the IRC channel archive:
http://kindle-synchrone.dotcloud.com

And of course, there's the wiki page:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking

It looks like you have a lot of reading ahead of you.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-31-2011 at 07:55 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
boskyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
@boskyout: downloading and reading the GPL source code from amazon is a good place to start. It is written in C.

You can also study the scripts in the /etc/ folders in your kindle.

There is also some javascript code, and HTML5, and various configuration files inside your kindle that are worthy of study, depending on what interests you and what kind of projects you want to work on.

Another thing to examine is the source code and scripting distributed with most kindle hacks.

And there are some kindlets available as well, written in Java.

Another rich source of valuable information is the IRC channel archive:
http://kindle-synchrone.dotcloud.com

And of course, there's the wiki page:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking

It looks like you have a lot of reading ahead of you.
Much thanks. I have read the Kindle_Touch_Hacking firstly and try to translate it to my country's language. I will learn the materials you mentioned above and be on the way to developing kindle softwares. And I think it will do good to deepen the understanding of Operating System and JAVA. Sound good. Aha..