Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 12:49 AM   #226
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I think maybe you guys had some really high expectations for the Vox being a high functioning tablet right out of the box. I think the fact that Best Buy has them in their eReader section and you can return in within 30 days (not the usual 14 for PCs, tablets and the like) is very telling.

I like what I see so far. I think as long as mine doesn't start freezing and acting funny, I'll be happy. I am not so heavy on all the apps, so I won't be disappointed...just as long as I can get my library books to work and I can start using Pulse and Reading Life, I am going to be a happy camper.

I must say though, I will never 'leave' my Kobo WiFi. I love it too much. I am going to use my Vox for more colour-oriented reading and the odd surfing when my son is hogging my laptop!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:56 AM   #227
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandel717 View Post
I didn't mean to load my statement! Just that comparing it to something like the Kindle, which seems more customized for the use of it, it's obviously some off-the-shelf hardware from one of the many manufacturers of these types of devices, located in China/Taiwan. I suppose I could have just said an existing tablet model...
I get the essence of what you’re saying, but it's all just conjecture as you don't really know the degree to which this was a custom design for Kobo verse a more reference design the OEM had, nor should it really matter in the scheme of things. As I said the Kindle Fire is being made by Quanta another Taiwan OEM and from all reports apes the RIM Playbook, which I speculate helped with costs as the more custom you go, the higher the costs. With the BOM looking to be rather tight I doubt there is much scope if these companies wish to hit the $200 price points.

It will be interesting to see what the Nook Color refresh looks like as the original had a much more striking design.

Also I agree with pokee to a point, I think people’s expectations of a $200 tablet might be a little high. That said, as I said earlier it still sounds like the quality control just isn't up to snuff.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 05:59 AM   #228
brettm
brettm is on a distinguished road

Device: kobo vox
Darn, I had preordered one and looking at the responses it doesnt look good. I checked with customer service and there is a no return policy which is unfair since if I bought it at Future Shop it can be returned. It better work!
brettm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:21 AM   #229
ronin688
Enthusiast
ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: REB-1100/ EBW-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettm View Post
Darn, I had preordered one and looking at the responses it doesnt look good. I checked with customer service and there is a no return policy which is unfair since if I bought it at Future Shop it can be returned. It better work!
I think it's a bit early to get really worried. I went to Chapters today and played with the display model and it worked well. It's not an ipad, or even a playbook, but for the price point and considering it's primarily an ereader I still think it's quite nice.

The screen with a book on it is beautiful and crisp, the page turns are instant and it didn't take long to load up a book or comic. Youtube worked fine for me, and the browser loaded right up.

Any issues we're seeing now are likely software based. Until I see widespread reports of crashes/freezes I'm not going to be worried. As of now it's still a "buy" next week.

That being said it seems like there are kinks to be ironed out, and Kobo could have done a better job with the setup and initial charge procedures at the very least.
ronin688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #230
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Screen works great outside, and the viewing angles are as good as advertised.

Back plate's a tad creaky, but after a few resets (and the Kobo app locking up on a book purchased from Kobo), it's running nice and quick, and not locking up after charging. Not yet, anyways. Kobo should look into the QC at the plant, though, given some of the issues reported here.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #231
robinwood
robinwood began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
well my daughter had lots of issues in the last week or so with hers -Kobo support person said "wait 24 hours and try again" - are they kidding ? anyway it has gone back with 3 days left in the 30 day return - she did get a KObo Touch which seems fine -
robinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #232
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
I am confused how is it false advertising?
Getjar has the 150000 apps but you can load any .apk app you can get your hands on me thinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
That "Read freely on any open reader" is truly insulting and misleading... What does Canadian False advertising tort say again?
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #233
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
It is annoying not to have an android market login but you can find apps elsewhere, appcenter, slideme, amazon appstore, annoying paid download or 20 second wait websites et al
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #234
wilybird
wilybird began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Kobo Vox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
About six weeks or a month ago an e-commerce site announced Kobo would be out with a android tablet called "Vox". The supposed launch date was 10/17. Since then pretty much absolute silence.

Anybody know whats going on with this product?
I was at Indigo book store last night and I asked one of the staff whar was happening with the VOX. He told me that it has been taken off the market due to all the problems thay have had with it. Was he telling me the truth or trying to sell me something else. I has asked him because I haven't heard a word about VOX for a long time. I have one and if you try to do anything other than read a book you can run into glitches.
wilybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #235
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilybird View Post
I was at Indigo book store last night and I asked one of the staff whar was happening with the VOX. He told me that it has been taken off the market due to all the problems thay have had with it. Was he telling me the truth or trying to sell me something else. I has asked him because I haven't heard a word about VOX for a long time. I have one and if you try to do anything other than read a book you can run into glitches.
The Vox has been replaced by the Kobo Arc which was released just last week. The Arc is a far superior piece of hardware.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #236
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
The Vox has been replaced by the Kobo Arc which was released just last week. The Arc is a far superior piece of hardware.
More importantly, it's actually got specs that are competitive with the modern crop of tablets. The Vox, on the other hand, was basically a year out of date for most of its hardware (the screen being the exception) at the time of release.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #237
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilybird View Post
have you done the updates though, while at the beginning I had issues, but now its great, having access to googleplay is great.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote