Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
TheDJ89
TheDJ89 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Epub validation problems..

First of all, sorry for posting this - you must get billions of questions like this everyday.

I've finished my ebook, I wrote it in word, converted it to epub, and did a bit of editing (in book view) in Sigil. I wanted to upload the book to Lulu, but it said that it had errors, so I went away and ran it through the threepress epub validator, which said:

ERROR: tumblingtales.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(8): unfinished element
ERROR: tumblingtales.epub/OEBPS/Text/Section0024.xhtml(48): attribute "type" not allowed at this point; ignored
ERROR: tumblingtales.epub/OEBPS/Text/tmp0.html(38): attribute "type" not allowed at this point; ignored
Check finished with warnings or errors!

I have absolutely no conception of what any of that means, so in an attempt to make it clearer I did a bit of research on the internet, and I read that FlightCrew gave error messages out in a clearer way, so I tried that, and got:

Line 3 - the language element is missing
Line 48 - attribute element is not declared for element "div"
Line 38 - attribute element is not declared for element "div"

That seems to make a bit more sense to me, but I really have no clue whatsoever about anything like this..if anyone could offer some advise on how to fix/make this better I really would be very, very grateful?
TheDJ89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
TheDJ89

Oh, and also..

I don't know if it makes any different but I can read the ebook perfectly fine on my iPad, I tested it on their first for formatting and stuff..
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDJ89 View Post
That seems to make a bit more sense to me, but I really have no clue whatsoever about anything like this..if anyone could offer some advise on how to fix/make this better I really would be very, very grateful?
Let's go piece by piece:

Quote:
ERROR: tumblingtales.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(8): unfinished element
Line 3 - the language element is missing
The language is a compulsory piece of metadata that must be included in the .opf file. With Sigil, I believe there is a "metadata editor" where you can just add the language of the book. epubcheck complains about an "unfinished" element because it's expecting a language, and it doesn't find one, so it sees the metadata as unfinished.

Quote:
ERROR: tumblingtales.epub/OEBPS/Text/Section0024.xhtml(48): attribute "type" not allowed at this point; ignored
Line 48 - attribute element is not declared for element "div"
It seems you have something like <div type="whatever"> in your code. Specifically in Section0024.xhtml, line 48. Edit the file and delete the 'type="whatever"' part.

The same for tmp0.html, line 38.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
TheDJ89

Wow, fixed! Thankyou so much! Seriously, thanks! I've never been happier to see a "no problems found" message in all my life
Old 03-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
FlightCrew is so much easier to use then ePubCheck. I use it all the time and it's really helps having error messages in English.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the <div type="whatever"> problem, it helps having both FlightCrew and epubcheck, though
Old 03-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
For the <div type="whatever"> problem, it helps having both FlightCrew and epubcheck, though
Definitely. In the examples given, Epubcheck identifies the file, line number, and offending attribute. FlightCrew identifies the file, line number and the element containing the offending attribute (what is meant by "attribute element", goodness only knows!). Each of them leaves out one bit of info, so having both is extremely useful.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
TheDJ89

Yeah, having both of them seems to be the way - I still had no idea until I came on here, but at least I had more information to hand!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:57 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Future versions of epubcheck might be more useful, see here.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #10
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Oh wow! That looks like an excellent improvement to epubcheck. Thanks for the heads up, Jellby.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That does make ePubCheck look like it will be a lot more useful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, errors, validation