Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
They had almost two years to make the delete button work

And what does it do ??????????

When you use it it deletes the book (.mobi or .prc) and it leaves the cover image (.t2b) and the bookmark-file (.mbp) on the reader.......

Really WAY TO GO bookeen

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 01-12-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: calling names wasn't nice... this is strong enough
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
That's the same for ePub books.
I delete book so seldom that well, I don't really care.
I didn't noticed the delete button didn't worked until some when whining about it, I never tried to used it.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 01-12-2010 at 03:55 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
But, it does delete directories recursively. (so, switch to folder view )
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
That's the same for ePub books.
I delete book so seldom that well, I don't really care.
I didn't noticed the delete button didn't worked until some when whining about it, I never tried to used it.
You're right, I never missed the feature myself either. But being a software developer myself (as a profession) I really fell from my chair laughing seeing such an amateuristic implementation.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
You're right, I never missed the feature myself either. But being a software developer myself (as a profession) I really fell from my chair laughing seeing such an amateuristic implementation.
What can I say? Software developer too and laughing a lot
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
This is a feature, not a bug!

Whenever you re-upload this eBook, the Cybook still will remember where you've been the last time. Especially when you finished it and end up on the last page ...
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Those remaining files are usually too small to matter - and when you can see them, you can delete them anyway.

But yes, if it was polished software, it would allow the user to decide whether he wants to delete those files as well, possibly through some configuration options.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:24 AM   #8
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I think they more likely add this "feature" to stop people whining about it than thinking it will be usefull. So I think that largely sufficient that it delete the book. And anyway flash file system generally doesn't be happy to be written/erased too often, so deleting very small files can be see as a way to save the flash
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
I think they more likely add this "feature" to stop people whining about it than thinking it will be usefull. So I think that largely sufficient that it delete the book. And anyway flash file system generally doesn't be happy to be written/erased too often, so deleting very small files can be see as a way to save the flash
I'm terrible sorry. I think it's the lamest excuse I've listened about a SW bug (and I've listened a lot ).
Old 01-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
If they reacted at all to "people whining", and they don't understand the need themselves, why didn't they ask those people to explain to them why it's important?

Deleting files usually changes only the contents of directory node for directory in which the files are. Erasing three files from the same folder rarely results in more flash writes than deleting one file.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Hum it seems that some people doesn't understand jokes... (but you are wrong about the filesystem, especially on FAT, and you don't seem to know the difference between a standard disk sector and a flash eraseblock)
Old 01-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hum it seems that some people doesn't understand jokes... (but you are wrong about the filesystem, especially on FAT, and you don't seem to know the difference between a standard disk sector and a flash eraseblock)
Perhaps no, I'm sorry about that but... what can I say? That small flash card has been with me for three years deleting books (it wasn't virgin when arrived to my Cybook )

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 01-13-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
Godzil

The flash inside newer Cybook (400Mhz one) is not the same beast as the SD Card or USB Flash Drive. NAND Flash is "raw" flash. SD or USB "flash drive" have some complexe and sophisticated hardware to handle raw NAND Flash. There is actually no real solution for FAT filesystem under linux for such a thing, and actually I predict that a lot of device will become problematic in a short time. I know that Bookeen work on this problem for the 1.5/2.0 release and it seems that was one of the reason that delay the update.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The flash inside newer Cybook (400Mhz one) is not the same beast as the SD Card or USB Flash Drive. NAND Flash is "raw" flash.
OK, I understand. I know now why it isn't a problem for me: I don't use the internal memory for books, only the SD Card.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:01 AM   #15
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
@ Godzil: In short you're saying "Leave the internal memory alone, use it for firmware updates only and keep your files on the SD card"?
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote