Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast
greyparrot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX/Kindle 2/Sony PRS-505
I have a problem with Igor's kindlefix.py

I'm trying to get Igor's script working. I have followed 'Wiki Visual Kindle Guide' to the letter and have kindlepid working and have my Kindle PID, but I cannot get kindlefix working. I downloaded 'Natural-583.prc' from
booksonboard.com in (OD) format and ran kindlefix but get this message.

The Kindleizer v0.1. Copyright (c) 2007 Igor Skochinsky
Encryption: 2
Mobi publication type: 2
Mobi format version: 4
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/users/greyparrot/ebooktools/kindlefix.py", line 157, in ?
sys.exit(main(fname, sys.argv[2]))
File "/users/greyparrot/ebooktools/kindlefix.py", line 134, in main
new_rec0 = find_key(rec0, pid)
File "/users/greyparrot/ebooktools/kindlefix.py", line 68, in find_key
temp_key = PC1(keyvec1, pid.ljust(16,'\0'), False)
TypeError: ljust() takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)

What is the problem?
greyparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyparrot View Post
I'm trying to get Igor's script working. I have followed 'Wiki Visual Kindle Guide' to the letter and have kindlepid working and have my Kindle PID, but I cannot get kindlefix working. I downloaded 'Natural-583.prc' from
booksonboard.com in (OD) format and ran kindlefix but get this message.

What is the problem?
It looks like your command line is the problem. What OS are you using? Can you show us the command line you used?

Also, you did put your KindlePID into the BoB bookstore BEFORE you downloaded this file right?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What OS are you using? Can you show us the command line you used?
Also, you did put your KindlePID into the BoB bookstore BEFORE you downloaded this file right?
BOb
Hi, Fellow Tampa Floridian

Mac OS X 10.4.11
Python 2.4.3
Yes, I did add my Kindle PID on BooksOnBoard before downloading the book.

grey parrot-powerbook-g4-15:~/downloads greyparrot $ /users/greyparrot/ebooktools/kindlefix.py Natural-583.prc <myKindlePID>
/users/greyparrot/ebooktools/kindlefix.py:61: FutureWarning: hex/oct constants > sys.maxint will return positive values in Python 2.4 and up
if off1==0xFFFFFFFF or off1==0:
Old 01-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi, Fellow Tampa Floridian

Mac OS X 10.4.11
Python 2.4.3
Yes, I did add my Kindle PID on BooksOnBoard before downloading the book.
Ok, since you are Mac OSx you are surrounding the PID with single quotes on the command line?

BOb
Old 01-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast

Quote:
Ok, since you are Mac OSx you are surrounding the PID with single quotes on the command line?

BOb
No I wasn't but I just tried it with single quotes and got the same error message. I had a BOB account and added the KindlePID to it, I wonder if the fact that other PID's are listed on BOB that could cause a problem. BOB will only let me delete one pid in 24 hours and I have three listed so I opened a new account with only the kindle pid. Nothing changed I still get the same error message.

Last edited by greyparrot; 01-04-2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Try taking the - out of the name of the book

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
From Paul Durrant in Simple guide to installing Python:
Quote:
The error

means that your version of Python is too old for this script. I think it was in Python 2.4 that the second argument was added to ljust().
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Try taking the - out of the name of the book
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
From Paul Durrant in Simple guide to installing Python:
Leep, I have the same problem with or without the '-' in the file name.

wallcraft, I have Python 2.4.3, is a newer version available for Mac OS X Tiger.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have Python 2.4.3, is a newer version available for Mac OS X Tiger.
Version 2.4 is supposed to allow 2 arguments. From Highlights: Python 2.4:
Quote:
string methods - strings gained an rsplit() method, and the string methods ljust(), rjust() and center() accept an argument to specify the fill character.
I'm not an expert on Python or the Mac, but see Python on the Mac. The download page for OSX 10.4 isn't very clear about what to download though.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
wallcraft, I have Python 2.4.3, is a newer version available for Mac OS X Tiger.
You should probably update to the latest version of 2.5.

http://www.python.org/download/mac/

Although, I thought Deb ran this on Tiger with 2.4 and it worked. But, I'm not a python guru.

You could also try ActivePython... which I think is just a single universal binary. http://www.activestate.com/activepython/

BOb
Old 01-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast

Quote:
You should probably update to the latest version of 2.5.BOb
I installed Python 2.6.1 and still have the same problem. I'm about to give up on this. BOB probably doesn't have anything that Amazon doesn't have and Amazon prices are lower. I'll keep watching this and other forums and some day I might find a solution.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
I installed Python 2.6.1 and still have the same problem.
I don't think it is possible for 2.6.1 to give this particular error. Perhaps /usr/bin/python is still pointing to the old version. I don't have a Mac, but (assuming it is like Linux) try in the Terminal window:
Code:
post content modified on Amazon's request
The which python command should tell you where python is located. If it is not /usr/bin/python, then the top line of the script may need changing (or invoke python explicitly as demonstrated by the 2nd and 3rd line above). A stand-alone python command opens up the python interpreter and the 1st line of output should tell you which version. Use quit() to exit. If the version is 2.6.1, then try the full python command line (with your ebook and PID), but first make sure that kindlefix.py is in the current directory (with the ebook). If the python version isn't 2.6.1, then your command path probably needs changing. I don't know enough about the Mac to help with this.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #13
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
I think its because you bought the book at books on board. The mobipocket server rejects kindle pids.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I installed Python 2.6.1 and still have the same problem. I'm about to give up on this. BOB probably doesn't have anything that Amazon doesn't have and Amazon prices are lower. I'll keep watching this and other forums and some day I might find a solution.
Yea, this really isn't needed to buy books. But, for library books and such that is really what it is for. Amazons prices/selection usually as good as or better than BoB.

Ok...

1. Are you sure you used python 2.6? Type python --version at the command line and see what it returns. If 2.4 is in your path first that will be used.

2. You could try mobidedrm instead.

BOb
Old 01-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #15
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast

Quote:
Yea, this really isn't needed to buy books. But, for library books and such that is really what it is for. Amazons prices/selection usually as good as or better than BoB.

Ok...

1. Are you sure you used python 2.6? Type python --version at the command line and see what it returns. If 2.4 is in your path first that will be used.

2. You could try mobidedrm instead.

BOb
I agree about BOB and Amazon.

1. Terminal returns Python 2.6.1
It's available at http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.1/

2. I'm not interested in removing DRM. My reason for pursuing this was for the rare case when a book was not available on Amazon and was on BOB.