Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2015, 01:58 AM   #1
AccioHogwarts
AccioHogwarts began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo touch won't charge?

I have not used my Kobo Touch ereader in a while and when I got it out today it displayed "Please Charge Your eReader", however when I plugged it into the mains nothing happened. I waited a while and pressed a few buttons and it didn't respond, so I tried plugging it into my laptop. The same thing happened (or, more accurately, didn't happen). I tried putting a pin in the hole on the back but nothing happened then either (presumably because it doesn't have any power in it to reset).

Has anyone has this problem before? What can I try to get it to start responding? Or at least acknowledge being plugged in?
AccioHogwarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:39 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Try a different cable & charger leaving it overnight, but if "a while" is "months and months without charging", it may unfortunately be completely dead.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
+ to plugging it into a mains charger and leaving it overnight.

I recently did this with a Kindle Keyboard that I had given away to someone. They'd used it for a month then just left it lying in a drawer for six months or so. A few weeks ago I got it back thinking the battery would be dead, but after an overnight charge, it's working again just fine.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
AccioHogwarts
AccioHogwarts began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I've now had it charging for about 24 hours and nothing has changed. Tried a different charger this time but it doesn't seem to have worked.

Is it a lost cause?
AccioHogwarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:44 AM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It's possible the battery has discharged to too low a voltage to allow recharging in the device. Or that something has locked up -more likely the battery voltage is simply too low, which can damage a lithium battery pretty badly if allowed to discharge too far. If you're comfortable, you might try opening it up and disconnecting the battery cable from the pc board for a few seconds, reconnect and see if it'll charge then, but chances are you have a bigger problem.

Failing that, you can disconnect the battery and briefly charge it with an external source like a regulated power supply if you're extremely careful and limit the current and voltage while monitoring battery temperature. If you really find yourself in a bind three AA or better yet AAA(to limit available current) batteries in series might be safely used to jump start the charging process if used for a brief series of pulses to bring the battery voltage up to the point where it can be safely recharged. Frequent checking with a meter between brief charging "pulses" and noting of battery temperature would be advisable. Ideally you'd want to charge the battery just enough that the reader's internal charging circuitry can start up and recharge it safely. You need to be sure you understand what you're doing because you can easily blow a lithium battery up with nasty results. This is not for the uninitiated. Do not attempt this unless you understand all the risks and have the proper safeguards in place. Whatever you do, do not leave the battery charging directly off a power supply!!! Battery go boom, magic smoke get out, and may lead to more smoke and Firemen knocking on your door with an AXE! Saavy?

Last edited by TechniSol; 03-01-2015 at 04:53 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, kobo touch, not responding