Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-23-2013, 03:17 AM   #16
jberryj17
jberryj17
jberryj17 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 10
Just thought of something - - just in case the Diesel site won't let me download the books, does anybody happen to have /know of a valid UK address (and does Kobo require a phone number or any other UK specific information?) would that I could use just to set up a Kobo account?

I would really appreciate it if someone could help--I'm on a mission to get these books, darn it!! lol So if you could PM me or something, that would be wonderful! :-)

I'm still waiting /hoping for some input on the Diesel issues referenced in the above post before I actually 'buy' series them bc I don't want to mess up my chances of it working, FYI, so once again, any help would just be a lifesaver! :-) Of course, it's the middle of the night here, so I'm sure it will be a while before many of you even wake up! lol:-)
jberryj17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #17
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
You can use a UK hotel address for an Amazon UK account. If you do pick a nice upscale one.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
jberryj17
jberryj17

Haha, too funny! :-) I actually DID create an Amazon UK account several years ago to purchase a different series of books that once again weren't available here. Ironically, the person who told me to do it was the Amazon.com rep that I was on the phone with at the time!! LOL :-) He said 'wait, try putting in this zip code' and gave me what I guess was a London zip code. I was able to buy like 3 of the books, but then it blocked me because I had to use a credit card, which was obviously a US card.

I think I would run into that problem again - - there's no way to pay with PayPal or anything besides a credit card with the Amazon.com or Amazon UK sites, is there?

I just find it SO ridiculous that someone in the US has to jump through such hoops just to totally overpay for books - - especially in the case of titles that are 20-plus years old! It's just silly. I wish I wasn't forced to use an ereader all the time - - bc I'm sure I could find the Rowan books for a couple bucks at the local used bookstore. :-\ However, I DO love my tablet to death - - it's just so darn convenient, not to mention not taking up the vast amount of space that 'real' books would - - I read SOOOOO much that I would literally be buried!! haha :-)
Old 05-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use my Am Ex Card with my UK account all the time.
Apache
Old 05-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #20
jberryj17
jberryj17

I tried a Visa, MC, Discover and got busted each time... don't have an Amex, usually just use debit for everything anyway lol. Wouldn't it be sad if I have to get an Amex just to buy UK books? lol:O
Advert
Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
Apache
Readaholic

I have noticed that some places do not accept American Visa/MC cards or even their gift cards.
Apache
Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #22
jberryj17
jberryj17

hmm... wonder if it would work if I bought myself an Amex evict card--do you think that would work?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberryj17 View Post
Just thought of something - - just in case the Diesel site won't let me download the books, does anybody happen to have /know of a valid UK address (and does Kobo require a phone number or any other UK specific information?) would that I could use just to set up a Kobo account?
9 Downing Street
London
SW1A 2AG

Or use the Royal Mail postcode finder, and just pick yourself an address.

http://www.royalmail.com/postcode-finder
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #24
jberryj17
jberryj17

I may be wrong, but isn't 10 Downing St where the PM works? LOL wonder if Diesel would notice... ^o^
Old 05-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #25
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I may be wrong, but isn't 10 Downing St where the PM works? LOL wonder if Diesel would notice... ^o^
Yes. Usually the PM also lives at 10 Downing Street (There's a flat above the offices). And 9 Downing street is the Chief Whip's Office, and 11 Downing Street is where the Chancellor of the Exchequer works and lives.

I beleive there are people in the UK who 'live' at the White House for similar reasons in reverse.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #26
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes. Usually the PM also lives at 10 Downing Street (There's a flat above the offices). And 9 Downing street is the Chief Whip's Office, and 11 Downing Street is where the Chancellor of the Exchequer works and lives.

I beleive there are people in the UK who 'live' at the White House for similar reasons in reverse.

Apache
Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
hmm... wonder if it would work if I bought myself an Amex evict card--do you think that would work?
One idea might be to try an Amex gift card. One can pick those up in various drug stores and grocery stores.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #28
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Quote:
Side note : there is another series that I began reading, but for some reason, only the first 3 books out of the 12-book series were available here in the US (it's just mind boggling how many books are restricted for the US, but are available in THE UK - - does anyone happen to know WHY this is, just out of curiosity?). Anyway, the series is the 'Poldark novels' by Winston Graham. They are best classified as historical fiction, but they are also pretty much character studies. The series starts off a bit slowly and seems like it won't be very interesting, but once I get into them, I just really couldn't put them down!

Jamie
If you're a Poldark fan then you may be interested to know that a new TV series has been commissioned here in the UK. I can't remember all the details, but I think this new series takes off where the old series ended.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote