Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #361
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Thanks. I tried to look at some video reviews but all the ones I found are more interested in showing everything but the reading app. They quickly go through the reading app with very little detail. Oh well, I guess I'm left with no real options other than to continue using my Touch. The Fire was marginally okay in portrait but due to its weight I was more comfortable reading with it in landscape, but those overly elongated book pages are too much of a distraction. I sure wish Amazon would hire engineers that actually read on these devices, then we would get a lot more of the options we have been requesting.

The bezel is nicer on the HD. I am told easier to hold. I agree on finding a video review of the KF HD showing the reading part and it's features. I'm still trying to determine the personal documents cover issue that exists on the KFv1 is fixed on the new one or not. I've yet to even see a pic of that screen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #362
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
What a shame, but not a surprise really. Like I mentioned earlier, I really believe they all have issues. I'm convinced of it. No one has the elusive "good" PW.
Yep. Having looked at many customer images (including a lot that say "look, I have a perfect [pink and blue] screen!", I don't think good ones exist.

jswinden, sorry about your newest one. Let us know what happens. (I need a macro for this at this point, sigh.)

Unfortunately I have another unit for the SO shipping in...eight days now. He's way more optimistic than I am (by nature), and says he can live with the pink/blue, but I suspect he may not be as happy if they do actually fix this down the road and he's stuck with it.

Honestly, I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one right now, nor to bother trying for a another replacement. Either live with it for another week or two and see what happens, or just get your refund now and re-purchase later.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #363
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I'm so confused by this whole thing. I saw someone post this image online saying their PW has "no discoloration", with this photo as proof:

http://s1359.photobucket.com/albums/...004_192133.jpg

Is it possible we're dealing with some sort of weird/specific colorblindness in a given percentage of the population?

I'm pretty sure I voted I was happy with my screen in the very first poll here, because the sequence of events went like this:

1) Read mobileread forums while waiting for delivery. Oh, people are complaining about shadows from the LED lights, weird. It can't be that bad.

2) Tear open box. Crank up light. Yeah, the shadows from the LED lights are totally tolerable.

3) Vote in poll. Post happy preliminary review.

4) Look back at the *rest* of the PW screen and note that it's all pink and blue.
I think that person is color blind, else s/he would've realized the photo does not look like the real thing and said something about it.

I wonder how many "no not happy" the poll would get if we allowed people who got a bad replacement to vote again.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #364
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The bezel is nicer on the HD. I am told easier to hold. I agree on finding a video review of the KF HD showing the reading part and it's features. I'm still trying to determine the personal documents cover issue that exists on the KFv1 is fixed on the new one or not. I've yet to even see a pic of that screen.
Yeah I noticed the wider bezel, and that is a good improvement. I've got a bit of carpel tunnel and holding the Fire in portrait mode put more pressure on my wrist than landscape mode did. I rested the Fire on my belly then balanced it with my hand, so that is why more carpel tunnel issues occurred in portrait than in landscape. In other words, portrait mode makes it taller and requires more energy to hold it upright when resting my hand and Fire on my belly. Sounds odd I'm sure, but it was an issue.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #365
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Unfortunately Replacement #2 is no better than Replacement #1. If anything it has a darker background when the light is turned to level 0. And #2, a designation which fits it if you get my drift, is definitely more pink especially around the screen edges with blue green shadows in the upper 2/3 of screen. Replacement #1 and #2 are very similar and its difficult to which is worse or better. Both are readable, but I don't care to read with all the inconsistent light shadows and discolorations. Just too distracting and I'm sure my reading speed has decreased significantly with the PW and my eyestrain has increased.

I read for a few hours with my Touch last night using the heavy MightyBrite clip on and realized how much nicer and whiter the screen looked than the PW. I hate having a clip on though, so I need to explore what options I have, if any.

I'm going to return both Replacements. I already returned the original a couple of days ago. I've got another unrelated UPS delivery coming tomorrow so I give them to the UPS guy to return.

Anyone have the new Fire HD 7"? Did they ever add two-page landscape mode? I know they added this to the Kindle for Android app, but in the past the Kindle for Android and Kindle for iPad apps were better than the native app on the old Fire.
Sorry to hear that. I am debating on whether to try replacement #2, and/or wait for the pre-ordered 3G version to arrive before making a decision to keep one or none.

I did not enjoy reading on the original Fire, but reading on the Nexus 7 is superb. If the new Fire HD is as lightweight and the resolution is as stunning as the N7's 1280x800, it would be an excellent alternative with ScreenDim installed.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #366
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've never returned a Kindle before, that is send it back without getting a replacement. Do they make you pay for the shipping?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #367
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
I've never returned a Kindle before, that is send it back without getting a replacement. Do they make you pay for the shipping?
You're returning it because of a defect, there is no shipping charge. If you're returning it because you changed your mind, then you pay for shipping.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #368
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
No, since it was defective, you won't have to pay.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #369
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
You're returning it because of a defect, there is no shipping charge. If you're returning it because you changed your mind, then you pay for shipping.
This. I have a feeling the system may not let you do without going through a rep, though. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've had no problems returning defective merchandise with no rep intervention before but it seems like the Kindle is different.)
Old 10-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #370
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This. I have a feeling the system may not let you do without going through a rep, though. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've had no problems returning defective merchandise with no rep intervention before but it seems like the Kindle is different.)
Right, you shouldn't need a rep. You just go on the order page for the item on the Amazon website, fill in that was defective in the returns section and they'll give you a mailing label to print out.

I just went and checked my order page to confirm. You don't need a rep. You just click on the returns/replacement button and follow the directions from there.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-11-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #371
Trauma Doll
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Right, you shouldn't need a rep. You just go on the order page for the item on the Amazon website, fill in that was defective in the returns section and they'll give you a mailing label to print out.

I just went and checked my order page to confirm. You don't need a rep. You just click on the returns/replacement button and follow the directions from there.
Oh, okay, this is really good to know. One of the reasons I'm still holding onto unit #2 (and haven't returned for refund) is procrastination for going through another troubleshooting script call. (I know it varies, but my first one took 40 minutes.)
Old 10-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #372
jswinden
Nameless Being

Thanks everyone, that's good to know. I think I'll call a rep anyway just in case that can get one or both of my PWs flagged to be sent to Cupertino for a post mortem. Let Quincy M.E. take it apart and see what is wrong with these things!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #373
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Let Quincy M.E. take it apart and see what is wrong with these things!
Now that's a great idea.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #374
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I voted I was happy with my screen in the very first poll here, because the sequence of events went like this:

1) Read mobileread forums while waiting for delivery. Oh, people are complaining about shadows from the LED lights, weird. It can't be that bad.

2) Tear open box. Crank up light. Yeah, the shadows from the LED lights are totally tolerable.

3) Vote in poll. Post happy preliminary review.

4) Look back at the *rest* of the PW screen and note that it's all pink and blue.
Me too. Plus the initial switch from NSTWGL to PW was a wow factor. Then I noticed the colors that night and thought I was going crazy. Now I can see the colors at night and during the day. Pretty sure my unit is getting worse.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #375
jswinden
Nameless Being

Both PWs are boxed up and ready for the UPS tomorrow. It feels strange since I've never had to return a Kindle model before. I kind of feel betrayed by on old friend here. I hope Amazon really does pursue this issue, but my gut feeling tells me it will simply get swept under the rug. Too many people are posting picks of their "perfect" PWs that have the same issues as ours, so I suspect with that many people happy with them Amazon won't take this issue seriously. Next years model will probably be the next hope of seeing a good PW.