Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-26-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Mobile laptop computing in 2015 - an image gallery of guesses

We always want to know what's around the corner for mobile computing. And the guesses usually turn out to be remarkable wrong, unless we are talking about a 6 month window. So what's the point in guessing about 7 years forward? Not much, but it's still fun.

Check out ComputerWorld's attempt to look at the future of laptops in 2015, as well as their companion image gallery. At least it's some pretty fun eye-candy!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:48 AM   #2
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Has any company ever tried putting the keyboard on the back of a tablet so that you can type while gripping it on the sides? I always think that would be a great idea.
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yes! Believe it or not there's a prototype of a nifty and very forward thinking UMPC that hit the rounds a few months ago much like that. Can't remember the name of the company, though.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
cassle
Enthusiast
cassle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, iPhone
Waw... It looks cool... But, is it a solar panels? I mean, usually people use laptops in indoors not outdoors. I wonder if it'll still working..?
cassle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
15 years? We'll need floating devices, that run on salt water. From all the global warming, you see. But by then we'll have cybernetic implants and eInk tattoos. Now, where did I park my flying car?

I recently had a conversation with a friend who is working with a prototype for a gesture-controlled heads-up display (think "Minority Report", the movie).

In other news, don't tell me kids don't pay attention to the news. My young nephew asked me what we were going to do about the worms. He was very concerned about the worms' impact on the environment, and thinks we need a plan to fight global worming. [true story]
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
15 years? We'll need floating devices, that run on salt water. From all the global warming, you see. But by then we'll have cybernetic implants and eInk tattoos. Now, where did I park my flying car?

I recently had a conversation with a friend who is working with a prototype for a gesture-controlled heads-up display (think "Minority Report", the movie).

In other news, don't tell me kids don't pay attention to the news. My young nephew asked me what we were going to do about the worms. He was very concerned about the worms' impact on the environment, and thinks we need a plan to fight global worming. [true story]
ooh ooh i want a gesture-controlled heads-up display like from Minority Report !! that's the first thing i thought when i saw the video demonstration of the multi-input touch interface. tell your friend i could be a beta tester.

your nephew is a smart kid. we should all be worried about the worms. i know i am.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

most of those concepts look pretty amazing... i like the slider one particularly but then i have a weakness for spy-type gadgets that slide or fold or deploy or transform... however, i have to seriously question the idea of a computer which is designed specifically to sit on the steering wheel of a car. what kind of insane designer comes up with this ? the cell-phone drivers aren't dangerous enough, so they want to add *typing* and driving to the mix ???

[EDIT : i know, i know, supposedly it can only work when the car is stationary... you just know there will be someone too smart for his own good who will find a way around that...]

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 03-26-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nice to see a nice mock-up of the Canova laptop (control surface is actually a touch-sensitive adapting display, capable of being a keyboard or a customized control interface)... that's an idea I thought of years ago, and I still think it'll be the future of portable computing.

Makes a nice e-doc reader, too...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
The dual displays seems like a neat idea but I can't imagine touch typing for any length of time on a virtual keyboard. With no tactile response it seems like it would be very uncomfortable.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
eyoung
eyoung began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq rx3115
Yeah, we'll have those 2015....pfft! I'm still waiting for my flying car.
eyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Get in line! I've been waiting for my all-electric car since 1980.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoung View Post
Yeah, we'll have those 2015....pfft! I'm still waiting for my flying car.
Flying cars will NEVER be available for the public. Too much potential for terrorists. No need to hijack a plane if you can load your car with explosives and fly it into a building. Not to mention military base no fly zones, international borders, and the idiot that thinks he can make it to hawaii on a single tank.

TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...and thus the need for the ultimate travel device, the Transporter! I tried to build one out of a fax machine. All my volunteers were ok for awhile, but then curled up and turned yellow.

And yet another TRUE STORY: I got a call from a customer asking us to stop faxing a particular document. I asked my assistant why he kept faxing, he claimed the fax "didn't go through". Think about it... think about it... ok, laugh now.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

it's like the designer who requested the client email their visuel. in the email, the client requests the designer to "please email it back" when he finishes with it, because they might need it again in the future.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

@zelda: you'd love "content-aware image resizing", I think.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 03-26-2008 at 04:36 PM.