Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
JoshLessard
Enthusiast
JoshLessard began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kindle 3???
Folders or collections?

Does the Nook support sorting books into folders and/or collections for easy navigation and searching?
JoshLessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Nope. Not yet. Unless you softroot.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
JoshLessard
Enthusiast
JoshLessard began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kindle 3???
I've heard of softrooting. What exactly is it?
JoshLessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

http://nookdevs.com/Main_Page have a look over here.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Amazingly enough, BN has gotten to v1.4 of the firmware and still hasn't built in folders/collections. Which makes me wonder if the developers actually use the Nook themselves.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
nashira
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
Amazingly enough, BN has gotten to v1.4 of the firmware and still hasn't built in folders/collections. Which makes me wonder if the developers actually use the Nook themselves.
They've said several times that there's a want/need for tags or folder support on the device and they seem to plan to implement it. But they really should get on with it.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post
They've said several times that there's a want/need for tags or folder support on the device and they seem to plan to implement it. But they really should get on with it.
Maybe their gameplan is to let Nookdevs develop features first, then just copy them into the official BN firmware.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
Maybe their gameplan is to let Nookdevs develop features first, then just copy them into the official BN firmware.
Nice observation, I do notice with each new version of firmware, they borrowed some good idea from nookdev. You would think by now, they should have come up with some decent folder structure, I am sure it's coming on the way as this is the most noticeable feature that is missing compared to the softroot version.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
nashira
Addict

Ha. I'm still waiting for them to realize that the people in other countries who want the damn nook aren't fiction! We do exist! XD

That being said, they should just save themselves some trouble and adopt the nookdevs and give them lots of nice money. >.>
Old 06-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
Sylver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post
Ha. I'm still waiting for them to realize that the people in other countries who want the damn nook aren't fiction! We do exist! XD
nashira, just curious, if B&N is not available in Australia and you cannot purchase ebooks from B&N's US site, what exactly interests people there to buy a nook? And is 3G function useful to you guys at all then or you are looking more of the wifi only version (because of the price drop) as a basic reader to read your own content which is what I get a nook for.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #11
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
you can buy epub books from any other supplier and sideload them. There are very easy ways around the Geo Restrictions that have been put in place, I have no problem buying books from B&N. As for the 3g side of things (I don't find it useful) but after you root your nook you can change the 3g sim card form a local provider and install alwaysVPN software on to the nook and you can now use the 3g to buy books from B&N straight from your nook.

If we didn't find ways around geo restrictions and sideload our books in we would not have any ereader but the Kindle or the Kobo.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #12
nashira
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
nashira, just curious, if B&N is not available in Australia and you cannot purchase ebooks from B&N's US site, what exactly interests people there to buy a nook? And is 3G function useful to you guys at all then or you are looking more of the wifi only version (because of the price drop) as a basic reader to read your own content which is what I get a nook for.
I have about as much interest in a reader with 3G (which has big-brother potential issues - Amazon did it once. Someone will do it again.) or ebooks with DRM as I do with catching the plague

I'm guessing, but I think I'm right, the only reason B&N won't sell outside of the US with their nooks is because their ebooks can't be sold outside of the US. Basically it's "oh well. Lets pretend only America exists" week. Sony kind of does this too - the 300 aside most of the PRS readers are shockingly hard to get here. And expensive when you do.

The nook has several things that make it appeal, the form factor not being the least of them. It's uncluttered and undistracting. Plus it's an epub reader and I do love me some epubs. Price is also a factor. Even at the former price... compared to some of the options locally? It was fairly cheap. The Australian consumer electronics market has a whole lot of interesting stuff. If you really want to pay premium for it. If it's available at all. One of our major bookstores, Dymocks currently stocks several readers. All over $300 or more. http://www.dymocks.com.au/Search/Res...P&Ns=Price_P|1

There is the kobo, of course... It's sold by Borders Australia and Angus & Robinson but I hold a reader with either hand, so I'm a bit out of luck when it comes to turning pages one handed if it's in my left. And I do think they're charging too much ($199 AUD) for a very simple ereader when I could get a nook wi-fi from the states for a little more than that, including the cost of the freight forwarder.

Plus the nook (unlike the Kindle2 which I could get without too much fuss from Amazon) has a user changeable battery which is potentially VERY important from a foreign customers POV and expandable storage. Very important for my sanity in case I run out of storage. I don't want to buy a new device if I run out of space, or have to take books on/off my device via USB all the time. I'm not the only one.

Even though B&N needs to sort out book licensing for foreign customers before they go to the effort of sending the nook out, it'd be nice of them to allow us to buy the device directly (even if they put up a warning before checkout for those unaware about the geographic restrictions on ebooks) if only to build faith in the international community that this is not yet another device we're going to have to find sneaky ways/troublesome ways to get and yes, B&N does care, a little.

...I went on for a bit there. Ahem.

Last edited by nashira; 06-27-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #13
Sylver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
There are very easy ways around the Geo Restrictions that have been put in place, I have no problem buying books from B&N.
Thanks iandix and nashira, interesting, not sure if there is any legal consequences for bypassing the geo restrictions if B&N catches you, but I for one don't understand the rationale behind such restrictions the first place. I had hard time understand why B&N keep potential buyers out. The device itself is so well built and the design very elegant compared to the ones I have seen in China which are selling at least as twice as expensive. One would think even if they don't have Chinese ebooks instock, just selling device alone will improve some cash flow and lower their manufacturing cost quite a bit.

Last edited by Sylver; 06-27-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #14
nashira
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
Thanks iandix, interesting, not sure if there is any legal consequences for bypassing the geo restrictions if B&N catch you, but for one don't understand the rationale behind such restrictions the first place. I had hard time understand why B&N keep potential buyers out. The device itself is so well built and the design very elegant compared to the ones I have seen in China which are selling at least as twice as expensive, even if they don't have Chinese ebooks instock, just selling device alone will improve some cash flow and lower their manufacturing cost quite a bit.
Pfft. Australians buy books from America all. the. time. It's cheaper.

It's not B&N's doing on the ebook side, btw. It's the publishers who don't have worldwide e-rights.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:04 AM   #15
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
nashira is correct B&N would love to sell books to everyone. But the publishers have their own reasons and it's all about $$$

It's not against the law for you to buy books or for B&N to sell them to you, it's just if they start selling books internationally on a large scale then the publishers could cut them off. Not all of Amazon's books can be sold internationally as well (many can just not all) B&N have been saying on their own boards that they are working on bring the nook to everyone. That seems to tell me they have a plan and maybe doing deals, but something this complicated takes time.

The publishers have a 19th century business plan and it is slowly being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

By buying my books from the US has saved me so much money it has paid for my nook, that alone makes it worth it.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote