Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
Other epub fonts Opus

I just got a Cybook Opus -- which so far I like because it's so light -- and updated the firmware. Here are some observations:
1. Unfortunately, the Opus doesn't see the chapters of the fb2 files, but I can change the fonts.
2. If I use Calibre to generate an epub edition, the Opus sees the chapters but I can't change the fonts. It says it's changing the font, but the font doesn't change.

My question: is there something I can add to Calibre so that epub doesn't use only a default font but allows the font to be changed? I found one epub book that came with the Opus that allowed me to change the font.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:03 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can only change the font if it's not "hard-coded" in the ePub file. You'd need to edit the CSS (or the HTML) of the book, and remove the font definition for the "body" text.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can only change the font if it's not "hard-coded" in the ePub file. You'd need to edit the CSS (or the HTML) of the book, and remove the font definition for the "body" text.
Even if it's hard-coded, you can sometimes change it, I think you can if it is coded in a "body { }" CSS directive.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
1. Unfortunately, the Opus doesn't see the chapters of the fb2 files, but I can change the fonts.
2. If I use Calibre to generate an epub edition, the Opus sees the chapters but I can't change the fonts. It says it's changing the font, but the font doesn't change.
If FB2 to ePub via Calibre prevents font changing, the font must have been specified in the FB2 file. I don't know much about the FB2 format, but it is plain XML and so you should be able to see what it is doing. This might be a Calibre bug, since font changing in a FB2 does not sound all that likely. It might be specifying sans-serif or something like that though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
After more experimentation, the best way I've found to format non-drm'ed books is the following:
Open the file (rtf, htm, txt, lit, etc.) in Book Designer and create a table of contents. Save the file in Sony Reader format. Add that to Calibre and output the epub file for Bookeen Opus. You need to remove lines after paragraph (an option in Calibre). I also find the text easier to read if the line size is set to 20. This process enables font selection and TOC. And you can change some other things (e.g. margins) if you wish in Calibre. I bought the opus because Frys had it for $149, and thought I'd probably return it. But it's grown on me -- the size, feel and design of it are quite nice.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert