Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #1141
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Sorry mgmueller,
I think that Kindle DXG sports the most outdated firmware between the 9,7" devices on the market at present.
I don't get how can you be so happy with it: it has no reflow! It means no pdf with complex layout, because you just can't really use that kind of zoom.
And it's so slow when you load files of 400-500 pages, even if not bigger than 50 MB. Takes up to 5-6 seconds to turn a page.

I find it incredible that it's still full-priced!

Did you ever try Pocketbooks (902, 3, 12), Boox m91/92, enTourage edge (rip)?
I don't read PDFs on any of my Kindles. I agree, total disaster.
For PDFs, I still have my iRex 1000 for example.

But for now, I don't read any "professional" documents (text books, contracts, SLAs, ...) on any of my readers. Sometimes I do so on some of my tablets, but usually I simply use my highly mobile (and beloved) MacBook Air.

On Kindles I solely read my Amazon content, ca. 500 original books I've bought in the last ca. 18 months via the excellent Kindle store.
I still like the Kindle DX Graphite for various reasons:
- Pearl display. I don't see any need for another unit display-wise.
- Great battery duration.
- Free 3G. I always run out of SIM cards, so I love the integrated one. And I even can use it globally on my trips without caring about costs or provider.
- I still consider the Amazon bookstore (one of) the best. I don't download any pirated books, I buy every single one. Some of my favorite books I've bought even more than 3 times: nook, Kobo, Amazon, ...

I have the PocketBook 360 and I really liked it. Especially the extended firmware with turning pages vie G-accelerator.
I briefly thought about PocketBook 903.
But quite frankly: I already have 23 eBook readers and 16 tablets (if I count Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy Note as tablets). I don't need too many more dedicated readers. Already I can't handle the existing ones. Whenever I open any of my closets, half a dozen of my units again has run out of battery.

So, when buying new readers, I mainly focus on the content.
I have >> 1.000 of bought books for Kobo, nook and Kindle. So I've ordered exactly those 3 (the Kobo I already got) as the touch versions. For the moment I like the touch versions (weight, single handed usability) best and those 3 manufacturers make most sense for me.

BTW: I absolutely HATE ePUB.
Yes, it still may be the widest spread format.
Yes, it basically is the only format you can use on numerous readers/manufacturers.
But still: I have so many activations that I permanently run out of them. Whenever I buy a new gadget, I can't read my ePUBs because I have to request another activation from ADOBE.
Why is their DRM scheme that annoying? Why do I need 3 activations for example, when using 3 ADE DRM-apps (txtr, Bluefire, ...) on iPad or another tablet? Why can't the activation be bound to the MAC address for example? Meaning: 3 apps, but on the very same tablet = only a single activation.
Hating ePUB that immensely, I'm attracted even more to Kindle.
Yes, I know, nook and Kobo are using ePUBS as well. But I don't need my ADE account for them.
Yes, I could strip the ePUBS from DRM (I do so for archiving, but I'm rarely "working" with the DRM-free ones) and convert them. But why bother if there's no real advantage?

I have the BeBook Neo, which basically is Onyx Boox. I can't imagine myself buying another Onyx unit. I've used the BeBook Neo maybe 5 hours in total.
To me, those units are gadgets, not tools. Mainly I use them for fun and as a collector, I don't need them "professionally". And Onyx Boox to me was "typical Chinese" (sorry, no foul intended). Meaning: Great features, some very interesting ideas. But unbelievable ugly, cheap feeling and no fun at all.
Yes, it had some outstanding features. But I just want to read and enjoy the gadget in my hands. I never did so with BeBook Neo/Onyx Boox.

I've never seen any Entourage Edge live. But I didn't like the looks of it. Way too bulky. And again: No need for me.

What am I doing with my gadgets:
- Reading on the train, usually around 4 hours per session. iPad and other tablets are a bit heavy for that. I want to hold the unit with a single hand, usually in the right bottom corner. So I like the touchscreen units, where I can turn pages with my right thumb. I don't like page turning buttons on the right edge, you often can't reach them with your thumb.
I don't need a unit >6" for that and I find enough content in most of the bookstores. I'm perfectly fine with Kindle, nook or Kobo for that.
- Giving presentations. In small circles (2 or 3 people) I can do so on my tablets. In bigger circles I use my MacBook Air or simply hand over a memory stick.
- Writing presentations, contracts, reports, ...
MacBook Air 11" is a bit small. Maybe I should have gone for the 13" version. But I love the 11" portability, not much more bulk than an iPad.

To summarise:
I didn't buy any dedicated reader for maybe 18 months. Now I'll add 3 touch units: Kobo, nook and Kindle.
It's cheap low end units. But I didn't choose them because of the price, but because I've already got > 1.000 bought books for them and love the convenience of single hand use. For the stuff I'm reading on them, they are more than adequate.
For any other needs I have tablets, notebooks and desktops.

I would go for a flexible display, such as Plastic Logic Que, anytime though...

On my trips, I still will take my Kindle DX Graphite with me. Plus 2 or 3 tablets. Plus MacBook Air. And from now on, probably 1 or 2 of those small touch units.
(I'm known for my luggage. Sometimes I have an entire suitcase full of gadgets with me. On vacation I often even need a second suitcase for all the power supplies and cables .)

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-01-2012 at 12:32 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #1142
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
No one would reasonably suggest that the DXG is a good reader for complex, multi-column PDF files. However, it is my favorite for books....
Ditto.
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #1143
mgmueller
Member Retired

Asus DR-900

I'd like to have a touchscreen reader >8" (without need for a stylus).
What has happened to the Asus DR-900?
Looked extremely promising and seemed to be more than vaporware. But I haven't seen anything of it in the last 12 months or so. Did I miss something?
I've seen some reports from early adopters about a year ago, but nothing since then?

I've ordered Kindle touch and nook touch in the US, should be here around March 10th. Kobo touch I already have and intensively will compare those 3 touch units of course.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-01-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #1144
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Hi, just popped in to ask if you ever tried the Kyobo eReader (or any of those branded mirasol eReaders)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post

BTW: I absolutely HATE ePUB.
Yes, it still may be the widest spread format.
Yes, it basically is the only format you can use on numerous readers/manufacturers.
But still: I have so many activations that I permanently run out of them. Whenever I buy a new gadget, I can't read my ePUBs because I have to request another activation from ADOBE.
Why is their DRM scheme that annoying? Why do I need 3 activations for example, when using 3 ADE DRM-apps (txtr, Bluefire, ...) on iPad or another tablet? Why can't the activation be bound to the MAC address for example? Meaning: 3 apps, but on the very same tablet = only a single activation.
Hating ePUB that immensely, I'm attracted even more to Kindle.
Yes, I know, nook and Kobo are using ePUBS as well. But I don't need my ADE account for them.
Yes, I could strip the ePUBS from DRM (I do so for archiving, but I'm rarely "working" with the DRM-free ones) and convert them. But why bother if there's no real advantage?
You hate... Adobe DRM? I can't understand why you'd blame that on ePub. I don't understand why you'd say there is no real advantage to stripping ePubs of DRM when you just spent a whole paragraph explaining why you find DRM is so annoying.
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #1145
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
Hi, just popped in to ask if you ever tried the Kyobo eReader (or any of those branded mirasol eReaders)?

You hate... Adobe DRM? I can't understand why you'd blame that on ePub. I don't understand why you'd say there is no real advantage to stripping ePubs of DRM when you just spent a whole paragraph explaining why you find DRM is so annoying.
I should have phrased it differently, you're right.
I hate ADE DRM, I don't mind about ePUB per se.

Quite frankly, for the books I'm reading (biographies, business/finance, history, self help, thrillers, ...) I simply don't see a difference whether it's Mobipocket, ePUB or even the long dead Microsoft .lit format (probably with the exceptions of PDF or TOPAZ formats). I'm fine with all of them (as long as there aren't too many annoying errors in the content).
But I hate the ADE DRM scheme. And I find this only for ePUBs and PDFs.
PDFs I usually wouldn't buy as an eBook format. And yes, there are DRM-free ePUBS. But most ePUBS you buy, unfortunately will have the ADE DRM.
Hence, I try to avoid buying ePUBs.

To me, it's okay to strip my ePUBS (or the other formats) from DRM, to archive them for potential future use. But I simply stopped bothering to convert them. Way too much work. Just consider: I'm a collector. I'm buying way more eBooks, games, movies, TV shows, ... then I actually need or use at that time.
In a "good week", I'm buying 30 or 50 eBooks (plus 10 movies, plus 20 TV episodes, plus 5 games, plus...). I'm pedantic. So converting them would mean, to often fix the author ("Umberto Eco" vs. "Eco, Umberto" vs. "UMBERTO ECO" vs. "some guy" [no kidding, I found such phrases at least 10 times in legally purchased eBooks], ...), think about margins and such. Way too much effort...

I haven't tried the Kyobo reader. For the last 15 months or so I've focused on readers with a directly linked bookstore, preferably accessible on the reader itself without needing a PC (quite handy, when you're stuck in a hotel and don't want to bother about WiFi or your MiFi).
I find Mirasol very interesting. But it's not that important for me. If I want to have color, I'm fine with my tablets.
For my typical books I don't need colors. I'm not reading comics. The only material would be magazines or some newspapers. Those usually aren't that time consuming (maybe 30 to 60 minutes vs. 8 hours or more for a book when not speed reading), so I don't care about weight or battery consumption of tablets for these kind of materials.
I certainly would buy one though, if it's either from a major player or has some standalone features.
But I'd be way more interested in a flexible display...

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-01-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #1146
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
...I don't understand ... when you just spent a whole paragraph explaining why you find DRM is so annoying.
I find the ADE DRM that annoying, because I often can't activate my new gadgets (exceeding activations all the time). If I'd side load DRM-free ePUBs, I wouldn't have to activate, that's right. But I wouldn't be able to buy content directly on that gadget. And this I hate.
For Kindle, I buy books on iPad, MacBook Air, Samsung Galaxy Note, Sony Tablet P, ...
For some books I have to stick to 4 activations at a time with Amazon, but I can manage those activations myself (kill an old one, add the newest one) on the Amazon website.
With ADE DRM, I have to request another activation from Adobe. So far, I've always got them. But it takes a week or so.
I can "kill" activations, but this doesn't free one up for another gadget.
For some time, I've proactively requested another activation, very well knowing I'll buy another gadget in a few weeks. But it's still very annoying...
Old 03-02-2012, 03:04 AM   #1147
XMasterrrr
XMasterrrr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey, well thank you for this chance to ask

i'm a programmer, most of my time is on the pc, but i need an ebook reader that is portable so i can work without stressing on my eyes more and more...

i was thinking about Kindle DX because of the large screen (for me larger is better) , what do you think about it for technical PDFs, as i know there is a hack around here for it to transfer into Kindle 3.X frameware

Thanks and you may like to recommend other devices please
XMasterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #1148
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMasterrrr View Post

i'm a programmer, most of my time is on the pc, but i need an ebook reader that is portable so i can work without stressing on my eyes more and more...

i was thinking about Kindle DX because of the large screen (for me larger is better) , what do you think about it for technical PDFs, as i know there is a hack around here for it to transfer into Kindle 3.X frameware

If you can live with the limitations: PB912 and Onyx M92, possibly Ectaco Jetbook Color.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #1149
XMasterrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
If you can live with the limitations: PB912 and Onyx M92, possibly Ectaco Jetbook Color.
Thanks for replying i can live with limitations if i can get a well educational readers

this readers are better than Kindle DX, aren't they?

do you recommend any other readers (9.7") or little higher?

what do you think about each device of them? which is better in your opinion?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #1150
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Thanks for replying i can live with limitations if i can get a well educational readers

this readers are better than Kindle DX, aren't they?

do you recommend any other readers (9.7") or little higher?

what do you think about each device of them? which is better in your opinion?

Thanks
Why don't you check the threads in this forum, you can form your own opinion then ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #1151
XMasterrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Why don't you check the threads in this forum, you can form your own opinion then ...
You're right

thanks for the help
Old 03-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #1152
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:

I didn't use technical PDFs, but contracts, SLAs and such.
Same problem for all those documents:
There are formulas, graphs and things like that integrated in the text.
So far, I haven't seen a single reader or tablet, that's able to handle such demands adequately via reflow.
Reflow is great for text only and the only way to change font size and such.
But most of the additional info simply gets lost: Formulas are broken down incorrectly, graphs get lost entirely and so on.
So obviously the only way to handle complex PDFs is by zooming.

I prefer, being able to zoom freely.
Meaning: You mark the area of interest, most conveniently with a stylus. This area gets blown up to fullscreen.
Given the speed and responsiveness of the screen, this obviously can be done more efficiently on tablets (iPad, Xoom, Galaxy Tab, ...) than on dedicated readers.
The "Goodreader" app for example is handling any kind of PDFs more or less perfectly.

For tablets, you can't go wrong with any of the big players. Basically it comes down to the question "iOS or Android".

If you want to have a dedicated reader instead, the display size should be as close as possible to the original.
It simply is too painful, trying to read a DIN A4/letter size original on a 6" reader. You only can see about half the page and permanently have to zoom and pan.
I'm using iRex 1000 for this, which is close enough to DIN A4 size.
Would I buy a new one, it probably would be PocketBook 903.
Kindle DX, as much as I love it for my casual reads, isn't a good choice for PDFs. Options for zooming and such are way too limited.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-03-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #1153
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
SQL DBA , programmer and engineer here.
Agree with what Mg said. I gave up and sold my Kindle DXG. I find that for computer books or PDFs, the ipad it's the best. Any other 10 inches tablet, let's say Android, would do the trick add well.

The DXG works as long as your book is linear. If you have to jump among chapters or zoom, things get slow and complicated.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #1154
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
SQL DBA , programmer and engineer here.
Agree with what Mg said. I gave up and sold my Kindle DXG. I find that for computer books or PDFs, the ipad it's the best. Any other 10 inches tablet, let's say Android, would do the trick add well.

The DXG works as long as your book is linear. If you have to jump among chapters or zoom, things get slow and complicated.
I see you've got the Kindle Fire.
Being Amazon/Kindle fan, I'm extremely interested in it.
In comparison: Would you say it's about on par with iPad and the likes?
Any idea, how much of the Amazon content I could use outside of the US? I guess, eBooks shouldn't be a problem. But movies and other multimedia content probably not respectively only via PC?
I've read, Kindle Fire's interface very much is built around the Amazon content. I'm not sure, whether it would kill the fun, if I only could use, let's say, 25% of the interface and the rest would lead to frustrating messages such as "not yet for your region"...
What's your gut feeling about this? Kindle Fire still fun outside of the US or totally frustrating?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #1155
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I see you've got the Kindle Fire.
Being Amazon/Kindle fan, I'm extremely interested in it.
In comparison: Would you say it's about on par with iPad and the likes?
Any idea, how much of the Amazon content I could use outside of the US? I guess, eBooks shouldn't be a problem. But movies and other multimedia content probably not respectively only via PC?
I've read, Kindle Fire's interface very much is built around the Amazon content. I'm not sure, whether it would kill the fun, if I only could use, let's say, 25% of the interface and the rest would lead to frustrating messages such as "not yet for your region"...
What's your gut feeling about this? Kindle Fire still fun outside of the US or totally frustrating?
"Outside your region", a simple VPN should cover that?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test