Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
batchelor22
batchelor22 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hello from BC, Canada

Hi Everyone,

I just ordered a Sangria Red Sony PRS-505 after someone on this site gave me a link to a great deal in Canada. Are there any must have accessories that I should be looking at? Really looking forward to being able to travel with a selection of books.
batchelor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello batchelor22
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by batchelor22 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just ordered a Sangria Red Sony PRS-505 after someone on this site gave me a link to a great deal in Canada. Are there any must have accessories that I should be looking at? Really looking forward to being able to travel with a selection of books.
Hello batchelor22, and welcome to MobileRead from another BC'er.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your PRS-505. I like the one I have and the only accessory I need is the A/C charger, so that I can recharge the battery in under two hours. I bought the one specifically made for the Sony eBook reader, but a less expensive PSP charger works just fine and is readily available.

It sounds as if you already know your way around MobileRead, so just let us know what you're looking for and someone will direct you or offer some good advice. Others will be envious of your choice of Sangria Red, although some might argue their blue one is nicer.

If you haven't already, you can download the latest version of the Sony eBook Library software and start populating your library with free or purchased eBooks.

Again welcome, WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi batchelor22 and welcome to MobileRead. Good advice from Wetdogeared about an AC charger. I find it very useful. I also have MEdge Leisure and Executive Covers which I like. The Leisure cover is handy for the beach, pool, travel etc. It's padded with a clear plastic cover that you zip shut. Although not waterproof, it is water resistant. Details about them are here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=medge.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
batchelor22

Thanks Everyone,

I will pick up the AC charger next week when I am by the Sony Store. I agree with the comment about the blue being a nice color, I just decided that I would rather purchase in Canada than deal with shipping from the US. I will be asking you all for some book recommendations soon. Again, thank you!
Advert
Old 05-02-2009, 02:31 AM   #6
Fathermole
Connoisseur
Fathermole began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
hooray another Canuck !!! EH! Welcome aboard
Fathermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Welcome! Hope you find all you're looking for here on Mobile Read!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Your best accessory will be to download Calibre and start acquiring an ebook library of free ebooks from here and other sites. Then when you get your reader you can have books loaded on it in minutes.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #9
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Hi, and welcome to the forums. I would recommend the lightwedge for an accessory. I'm so glad I bought that, I use it all the time even when it's light. It's so nice to have that extra bit of light. And the batteries in the lightwedge (seem to) last quite awhile. It is kind of expensive though, but I shopped around and was able to find it for $49.99. If that's too much, alot of people just use regular clip on lights.

I agree with the people who have mentioned the free ebooks. I've downloaded several from here, as well as the sony website. I check the freebies section of this website everyime I log in to see if there is anything new.

Happy reading!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
Go Canucks go!
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
batchelor22

Thanks for all of the great suggestions everyone, I have the book and AC adapter but am having trouble using Calibre. Is there a quick online guide that tells me how to use it? I thought I read somewhere that it conflicts with the Sony program and cannot be used at the same time. I looked into the cover suggestion but the shipping is $27 to Canada so kind of defeats the purpose of an affordable splash-type cover. Everyone's input is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:37 AM   #12
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
You are correct. Calibre and Sony software cannot be used at the same time. Just make sure that one program is completely closed before opening the other and you will be fine. As to a user guide, there is one on the Calibre website but I have never read it. What problems are you having?
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
bbesse
bbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with others

Device: PaperWhite WiFi, Kindle 3 WiFi!
Hello
And Welcome. Its nice to see another BC person join the fray.
Where did you get your Sony? You mentioned a good deal. I am still looking around but I like the Sony PRS700.

Cheers!
bbesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
batchelor22

I ordered mine online from RBC Computers, somewhere in Ontario. It was $269 with GST only and shipping. I could not find a better Canadian deal, it was shipped and to me in 5 days. Very good customer service and response.