Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
But what about the Kindle's Reading Light?

I haven't seen anyone comment on it, but I could easily have missed it in the furor. I recall that the leaked documents that we had a year ago included details of a clip on reading light, but I don't see any mention of it on the current Amazon page for Kindle.

Does there appear to be a connection point for it on the Kindles that folks have now? Is there any mention of it in the documentation that comes with the Kindle, or perhaps it has just been designed out?

This has been such a big concern for the various e-ink devices we've had so far, I'm just wondering where we are on it with the Kindle.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
groch
groch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I see no connections for a light, and there is no mention of one in the documentation.

Too Bad, I got a cheap Fulcrum clip on light, and it does not want to clip on...the top of the Kindle is too narrow. Anyone have success with a light for these things
groch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
There's a recommended light on the Kindle page from Amazon. I bought it...it has 2 leds (you can choose one or both) and it clips onto the case nicely.
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Not only does there appear to be no custom light, but Amazon is promoting this generic one for the kindle:

Mighty Bright XtraFlex2

It even appeared in my Gold Box yesterday at an extra 5% discount. It is now out of stock.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Might Bright still has them, in multiple colors yet! They also have a passel of other lights that might be of interest to folks.

Bummer that the connect on one seems to have been designed out.
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Might Bright still has them, in multiple colors yet! They also have a passel of other lights that might be of interest to folks.
Yeah, that double-headed one looks good -- as did past reviews/photos on it here! But I got in on the Gold Box deal for the single headed one so will see if that suffices for the limited low light reading I do.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Isn't that the one we dubbed the Bug Light? Or was it Alien Light ...? I can't remember, but yeah, several people really liked that one.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
groch

The Fulcrum Multiflex light I bought from Amazon looks nearly like a clone for the Might Bright Ultraflex2, but it will not clip to the Kindle, or maybe I am just too ignorant to know how. I try to clip it too the top, but it only has rubbery no skid stuff on the bottom of the clip, hard plastic on the top clip, so it slips.

Can anyone confirm this clips solidly to a Kindle before I order....and where do you clip it?

George
Old 11-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Get the Mighty Bright Full Spectrum. Trust me it's the most uniform and easy on the eyes.
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 AM   #10
groch

Apparently the clip type book lights are designed to clip to the leather cover, NOT the Kindle itself. If you fold the cover backwards and secure it with the elastic band, then the booklight clips solidly to the back of the cover. The description for the Xtraflex 2 now describes it in the Amazon blurb.

I have no problem with that, as I do not think the Kindle is uncomfortable to hold in the cover, but others have felt it was not comfortable or secure.

A light designed to clip to the Kindle itself would be nice, and perhaps they will come up with one if strong sales continue.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I bought the light and you definitely have to clip it to the cover. I fold the front cover all the way back, securing it with the elastic band and then clip the light on the folded back front cover. It's possible to actually clip it to the Kindle in upper right hand corner but the light makes the Kindle awkward to hold that way.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:28 AM   #12
vagelis
vagelis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle1, kindle2 & kindle dx
I bought the Amazon light as well.
Not Impressed; the LEDs will not illuminate evenly.

I ended up buying this:
http://www.verilux.com/full-spectrum-booklights/travel-book-light

Full spectrum Light, with 2AA that can be recharged via USB.
(You supply your own rechargeables, USB cable and case included)

Much better full spectrum light coverage; my Kindle and Eyes love it
vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #13
suzyq
suzyq began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Vagelis,

Does the verilux clip on to the Kindle or to the cover? How heavy is it?
suzyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Hey, suzyq! Welcome to MobileRead from a fellow (ex-pat) Texan. My wife almost took a job at ACU a few years ago, but she's ended us up in Tennessee, which is working out quite well for us so far.

The Verilux would pretty much have to clip to the Kindle's cover, its clip is pretty narrow. However, I heartily agree about those Full-Spectrum CCFL lights for e-ink, they're simply the best game in town, in my opinion.

The Verilux is fairly heavy because of its battery load, AA's just aren't all that light.

I have the Mighty-Bright full spectrum CCFL light which I like. It's at least as heavy as the Verilux, using 4 AA batteries, but I found that if I clip it to the lower right edge of the cover so that it lies along the bottom edge of my Sony Reader the weight helps hold it up-right when I'm reading. The Mighty-Bright puts its CCFL bulb on a swiveling arm, so it's easy to position the light well from that unlikely location.

I don't know how much of that would transfer to the Kindle, but nearly as I can tell from the pix, it looks like it'd be pretty close.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:36 AM   #15
vagelis
vagelis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle1, kindle2 & kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyq View Post
Vagelis,

Does the verilux clip on to the Kindle or to the cover? How heavy is it?
It ends up not being that heavy. It is easier to fold the top kindle cover backwards and attach the Verilux on the (now) back cover.
This way the Verilux clip does not push the Kindle upward and the little grey plastic piece of the Kindle cover can still hold the Kindle's back in place.

Much more even light and perfect for reading with all other lights off.
vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote