Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
geordietastic
geordietastic began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
More Recent Science Fiction Authors

I havent read much in years but started again recently. I started with a writer i remembered always enjoying, Arthur C. Clarke.

His stories seem almost dated in terms of technology to me. I was wondering if anyone could suggest any authors who are more recent or have a more modern feel to them.

Thanks
geordietastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll start with one... John Scalzi.

Check out the page for him at Fantastic Fiction.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/john-scalzi/
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
geordietastic

thanks muchly
Old 08-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
Off the top of my head:

Iain M Banks, Alastair Reynolds, Peter F. Hamilton, Dan Simmons, James S.A. Corey, Dan Abnett, Stephen Baxter. Errr, and me!
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by dworth View Post
Off the top of my head:

Iain M Banks, Alastair Reynolds, Peter F. Hamilton, Dan Simmons, James S.A. Corey, Dan Abnett, Stephen Baxter. Errr, and me!
That's a good starting list!
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
How about Larry Corriea?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
A new author with only one incredible book out - John Love - "Faith"
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I'd suggest Robert J. Sawyer, he is one of my favorite authors. It depends on what sort of book you are looking for, he writes both hard scifi and scifi/mystery crossovers.

For a stand-alone, I would perhaps start with Factoring Humanity or Starplex (if you are looking for space Opera). He has also written three trilogies, The Neanderthal Parallax about a parallel earth where Neanderthals survived and Homo sapiens got extinct, and his more recent WWW trilogy about the world wide web developing conscience.

Other people have already mentioned Stephen Baxter, whom I enjoy, too. He has written a great sequel to H. G. Wells's The Time Machine: The Time Ships.

I also like about anything by Jack McDevitt.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
I'd suggest Robert J. Sawyer, ...

He has also written three trilogies, The Neanderthal Parallax about a parallel earth where Neanderthals survived and Homo sapiens got extinct, ...
Good author, yes.
Good trilogy, yes.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I think geordietastic needs to define what he/she means by a "more recent" sci-fi author. No doubt the author needs to be alive, how about the number of books that the author has written, David Weber is still with us however he has published quite a few books, is he still "more recent"?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Charles Stross has been on my list to read since someone nominated Halting State in the book clubs.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Yes, I second Stross. Also Neal Stephenson, Vernor Vinge, and Cory Doctorow as futurists who, um, stay current, lol.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Ok, my feelings about Clarke are that he writes slightly rubbish stories with weak characters and great ideas. I'm not sure who the modern equivalent of that is.

From the other recommendations in here, I'd give my unreserved backing to Iain M. Banks and Alastair Reynolds, both space opera with some nice big leaps of imagination, and my reserved backing to Peter F. Hamilton (who entertains and infuriates me about equally), Dan Simmons (Hyperion is great, but he's reportedly gone off the rails), Neal Stephenson (later works too long, struggles with endings) and Stephen Baxter (some of his are a bit dull - he's maybe closest to Clarke, though.)

Corey, Stross, Sawyer and Scalzi I don't particularly rate, based on what I've read so far. The others I haven't read enough of to form an opinion, except maybe Weber who writes entertaining, undemanding military SF.

A couple more: Kim Stanley Robinson has a major new book out this year (which I haven't read) and Ian McDonald probably hasn't written a bad book.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by dworth View Post
Iain M. Banks, Alastair Reynolds, Peter F. Hamilton, Dan Simmons, James S.A. Corey, Dan Abnett, Stephen Baxter. Errr, and me!
Almost exactly the list I would have written myself, except for that last geezer whom I've not read yet.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
geordietastic

Wow thanks for all the replys, that should keep me going for some time