Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #121
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Really? That's so strange. I find the search on the Kobo website is absolutely horrendous. I was curious as to when JK Rowling's new book is coming out and how much. I did a search and entered - Casual Vacancy. I got 141 returns and the first book is Sex and the Stranger: A Collection of Casual...., second was a book called Casual Sex, third was a book on grilling. I stopped looking. Their search function is awful. I just hate it. That's not the first time their search has yielded tons of useless returns for me.

I instead went to Amazon to get the info I wanted immediately....
Just don't enter the search terms "Kindle strap" into their search engine.

Signed,

The Voice of Experience.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #122
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Sony has been there from the beginning..

And no, until it is announced we wont know anything about the OS.
Yes, I think they were the first to market with eInk unless I'm mistaken. I saw the first one in a Borders bookstore, but didn't actually buy one until I picked up a refurbished PRS-600 from woot. I had previously been using an RCA REB-1100 which was nice, but not as portable as I'd liked. I also tried the Franklin eBookman, a Handspring Treo 90, and a Dell Axim x5. My PRS-600 still works, but I caught a good deal on the PRS-T1 a few months ago and find I'm using it even more than I used the 600.

And yes, I suspect it will be Android as well. Sony has made a pretty big commitment to Android and is using it in many of its devices.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #123
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiheaka View Post
Does anyone know what software this reader will use?

Thanks in advance.
The core firmware for the existing T1 (and almost certainly for the T2) is Android. On top of it they have their own proprietary adaptation of Adobe's Digital Edition Mobile reader software. The reader app is on the lean side compared to other epub-capable readers but they do offer one of the better PDF viewers.

The T1 can be easily hacked to open up access to the Android OS which allows for a few extra reading apps to be added (Coolreader3--highly recommended for DRM-free ebooks!, Kindle for android, etc).

Latest word is to expect the formal announcement and the NDA'ed reviews to pop up late this week. We'll have a better idea then what the T2 is like.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #124
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
any idea about T1 - are they going to be discontinued after the new model just like great PRSx50 series had been?
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #125
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
any idea about T1 - are they going to be discontinued after the new model just like great PRSx50 series had been?
No reason not to think so. They haven't kept a reader series for more than a year since they introduced the 500.

Gotta make more money, y'know. Convince everyone to upgrade and upgrade, and naturally none of the covers from one model ever fit the other models.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #126
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
I'll be quite interested to see if there's any significant updates to the home screen and reader apps, and if they can be run on the T1 without too much difficulty - ie, just pulling the apk's from a T2 and installing them on a T1. (Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this yet in this thread.)

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #127
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
I'm perfectly happy with my T1. I would be hard pressed to get the latest and greatest if there is really nothing different about it other the buttons on the front of it.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #128
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
I do hope they will allow selection of books by file explorer like. Once you get over a 100 stored books, the collection principle becomes almost useless.
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #129
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
I do hope they will allow selection of books by file explorer like. Once you get over a 100 stored books, the collection principle becomes almost useless.
The only way i manage that is by getting calibre to make collections by author. That makes it easier to find what I am looking for.
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #130
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
The only way i manage that is by getting calibre to make collections by author. That makes it easier to find what I am looking for.
Untill you get over 20 authors. Collections is just a mess when you've got lots of titles (fiction/non-fiction, literary, various languages, disciplines subjects, etc. It simply doesn't work. Sub-collctions and sub-sub-collections are necessary. In other words: you need a tree structure.
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #131
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
According to the J&R website link that was posted in this thread, it appears they may have removed the glossy frame/bezel. That is the only Plus that I consider may make me want to get the T2. Otherwise I am happy with the
T1.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #132
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
Untill you get over 20 authors. Collections is just a mess when you've got lots of titles (fiction/non-fiction, literary, various languages, disciplines subjects, etc. It simply doesn't work. Sub-collctions and sub-sub-collections are necessary. In other words: you need a tree structure.
I definitely have more than 20 authors, and I do end up scrolling through the pages so I agree it is not always ideal. It certainly help to have collections, I also make collections in series, ie detective etc
Old 08-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #133
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
It's live on the Sony site, thanks to Nate sharing the info.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #134
thomasn75
Groupie

from what i can see only diffrence is the slight change in shape and matte finish

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...specifications
Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #135
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
For those concerned about the cases: the T2 is listed at the exact same size as the T1.
Most cases should fit. One less gripe, right?

The pic for the white reader on the sony site makes the buttons look like rubber chiclet buttons rather than flush capacitance switches. No audio, six dictionaries, no mention of Facebook or Evernote. The homescreen is tweaked but still lists Recently Added and the last opened. Below are three icons for Bookshelves, store, and Applications.

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-16-2012 at 08:07 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote