Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can Zoom on a kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:54 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figwit View Post
I have never had occasion to use Amazon support either but it is reassuring to me to know that if I did, I would not be further stressed by having to deal with an unfriendly, unhelpful service. I firmly believe that Amazon deserves my support and loyalty because they put in an extraordinary effort into customer satisfaction. I get warm fuzzies just reading how helpful they have been to other people.
Good customer service is about more than simply when things go wrong. Eg, Amazon allow you to return an ebook within 7 days of purchase. Sony, Kobo, etc, do not; all sales are final. I haven't availed myself of this service very often, but I have on a few occasions when a book is very poorly formatted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have called Amazon to return books (before they put it on the Manage my Kindle page) and to report a missing Kindle. They were great. My MIL had to return her first K2 due to the sun fade problem that was common with K2's when they first came out.

I hope to not need Customer Service on a regular basis but it is nice to know that it is there if I do need it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Kindles are good readers, Sonys are good readers, Nooks are good readers. I don't know about any others. I did have to work with customer service at Sony when the T1 first came out. I had no problems. They were the first support personal I have dealt with.

If you like your Kindle stay with it. I know it is fun to try out many devices. That is probably why I have a reader from 3 companies. BUT I buy them & keep them. If I don't want to keep any of them I sell them to another person.

But I have found for the most part they all have their advantages & disadvantages. Good luck!

P.S. I do like Amazon's easy return policy. I've never used the 7 day return but have used the immediate return when I accidentally bought a book. I did that twice on my K3 but not on my Kindle Touch. The other stores (B&N & Sony) are not so accommodating.

Last edited by Pomtroll; 04-07-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #20
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
You can Zoom on a kindle.
No one was debating that. JSWolf was responding to an incorrect comment stating that Kindles allowed the user to zoom in on graphics but ePub readers did not. I own a few Sony Reader and a Kindle and have played with the T-1 as well. I think I know what JS means by what he said.

We don't have to agree on which kind of reader is better. We need agree only on the things each device is able to do technically.

However, if it were important to me to enjoy navigable images of maps with good resolution, I'd pick up a tablet, not an e-reader with an e-ink screen.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-07-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
advice, epub, ereader, kindle, mobi