Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
What should I install on it?

I'm planning to ask for a 360+ review unit, and I had a question for y'all.

I know that there are apps for it and that there are some customizations but I don't know what's good. What should I try?

I'm asking becuase I want to write a review that reflects all that the 360+ can do, not just what I can do with the stock firmware.

Thanks!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Doom II
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
while we wait for a user to respond to you (I have a "basic" 360), you may want to ahve a look at this thread.
This was befoer the new firmware (I think) but hopefuly both fbreader with wrist page turn (you can download the latest version here)and themes should work, and so should coolreader (the latest version has wrist page turn, too), though you have to install the "Pro" version as far as I know (the 360+ firmware should be based on the same firmware used by the Pro models, rathher than the old 360). As for the themes, if you get adventurous you can create your own, or modify the existing ones. Once you install the additional readers, you have to modify the configuration file accordingly, but all instructions are in the links above.

There is also a hacked version of Adobereader that allows you to set your CSS style files.

As I said, I am not sure that all the above work in the latest firmware, but hopefully some current user will be able to tell you soon. Looking forward to your review!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. i hadn't found that thread yet.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Doom II
Certainly. Got a link to where I can download it?
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Dunno but it's been done before http://www.slashgear.com/pocketbook-...ideo-07144892/
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Certainly. Got a link to where I can download it?
I am afraid you would have to contact developers from Kiev headquarters.

You might want to have a look here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=32
of course going through translate.google.com
I had a look, but I didn't find link for download.

There are, however other interesting things there.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I am afraid you would have to contact developers from Kiev headquarters.

You might want to have a look here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=32
of course going through translate.google.com
I had a look, but I didn't find link for download.

There are, however other interesting things there.
I have contacts with a number of different parts of Pocketbook so that won't be a problem.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I know that there are apps for it and that there are some customizations but I don't know what's good. What should I try?
The question is: Is the firmware descendant of the PB301 and PB360 firmware, or is it based on PB602 ... 903 firmware?
If the firmware of PB360+ is based on PB360 firmware then all kinds of goodies, such as themes from PB360 might work. If you consider that PB602 ... 903 are manufactured by Foxcon and 360+ is still manufactured by Netronix - just like "good ole'" PB360 was, there is good chance the firmware is backward compatible concerning themes and other stuff. Also the new PRO models PB602 ... 903 have widget interface and PB360PLUS doesn't.

I was trying to get my hands on a review unit of PB360. That was exactly half a year ago, but so far PB360+ has only been sold in USA and Russia and Ukraine. Here in Europe we are still waiting for the PLUS model. I can't understand why European distributor of PocketBook decided to postpone the introduction of the new model for more than 6 months, but I gave up trying. In the meanwhile there have been very interesting models from other manufacturers (such as T1).

I have posted THE very first review of PB360 - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61908 (that has been as a #1 result from google for two years when you search for string "PocketBook 360 review"), so I thought I could do well informed review for the PLUS model as well. I was also secretly hoping I might get unit with Doom pre-installed

Have a look at threads
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69185
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80518
There are quite a few tricks that might work for the new model.

PB360 has been *extremely* well designed model, software and hardware wise. Even after three years (the firmware began the life as firmware for the PB301!) it has many features that their competitors lack.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I received the 360plus this morning. I haven't really looked at it yet but I was surprised by how little it weighs (compared to the 903 it's like a feather). Should I buy a micro SD card for it, and if so: how big?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
MicroSD?
Probably.
How big? Depends on your usage pattern and ebook collection size.
You may want to give a thought to the *speed* of the card, too.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Size: max 2 GB, that is more than 2000 epub or other standard ebook formats and a lot of PDFs

Speed: keep it cheap, class 2 or 4 will be sufficient, processor speed won't get more out of higher classes
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I suspect 2GB might be small for some people.
Note that the 360 lets you store fonts and dicts on the SD card.

Me, I tend to go with the biggest fastest cards I can afford at the time because I expect the cards to outlive whatever hardware I buy them for. When I got my 360, I picked up an 8. (It's now running a 16GB I got for my media player; I wasn't using the extra space.) When I got the IQ, I went with a 32GB class 10. (It helped that it was on sale for $40. )

Of course, the Plus does have WiFi and a browser so it might be able to access a personal cloud for storage, rendering the whole card question moot. 0 GB might be enough.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #14
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Thanks for the suggestions. I bought it for travel because I love my 903, but it's not something that I would carry around with me every day. I don't want to depend on WiFi, so I'll probably get an SD card but now I need to figure out how big it needs to be.

I thought I would only read books on it, but to my surprise I can read articles without reflow or zoom (the only difficulty seems to be with the text on graphs).
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote