Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I just want to read books and delete them!

Obviously I can't on unrooted nook. I just rooted, everything looks fine. I downloaded the nook reader for android - it shows up. I sent a book to the sd card - it shows up. But I can't read it. I open the nook reader and it can't find the book. I open the app Books and it can't find it. I find the book through file explorer, when I try to open it, I get a list of apps - Nook for android is not one of them. If I press Books, I get the Book app and it doesn't show the book.

I have looked through all of Developer's Corner and no one else is having this problem. I feel really dumb! Is there a how to for dummies?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Ok, just spent 4 hours reading google comments to find answer. Best answer - use a different reader, aldiko suggested - otherwise side load to SDCard/Nook/MyDocuments folder and then go to the main page of the Nook app. Click on "My Files"

Lyn

Last edited by peaceridge; 07-10-2011 at 07:10 PM.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Okay I will try to help.

I download the Nook app but didn't like it I prefer Coolreader.

Anyway as I recall I had to put my books under sdcard/nook/mydocuments. I think that is the only way to sideload a book so it can be read from the NC app.

Have you tried some of the other readers?
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Okay I will try to help.

I download the Nook app but didn't like it I prefer Coolreader.

Anyway as I recall I had to put my books under sdcard/nook/mydocuments. I think that is the only way to sideload a book so it can be read from the NC app.

Have you tried some of the other readers?
Thanks so much for answering. I just now downloaded Coolreader. If that doesn't get it, I'll try moon plus next.

Do you know if any of the readers leave something in the task bar so you can go directly to the last book you were reading?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Thanks so much for answering. I just now downloaded Coolreader. If that doesn't get it, I'll try moon plus next.

Do you know if any of the readers leave something in the task bar so you can go directly to the last book you were reading?
With Aldiko you can place book shortcuts on the desktop. You can do the same with other reader apps but would need to use Desktop Visualizer.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I've noticed that the Kobo reader app lets you sort by "still open" books. That's kinda nice.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I've noticed that the Kobo reader app lets you sort by "still open" books. That's kinda nice.
I wish the app offered a Sepia background. I would use it more if it did. There are other shortcomings (compared to the iThing apps) as well, but this is at the top of the list for me. It's version 3.#.# and still missing much.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I wish the app offered a Sepia background. I would use it more if it did. There are other shortcomings (compared to the iThing apps) as well, but this is at the top of the list for me. It's version 3.#.# and still missing much.
I can't switch over from Moon+ until the Kobo app lets me "share" all my highlights with any text-input programs (evernote, email, etc.) and not just facebook.

Which is a shame because I REALLY like the stats and the clean look of the app.

Then again, I'm so in love with my Moon+. The brightness-left/text-size-right swipes are SO gosh darn convenient.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I can't switch over from Moon+ until the Kobo app lets me "share" all my highlights with any text-input programs (evernote, email, etc.) and not just facebook.

Which is a shame because I REALLY like the stats and the clean look of the app.

Then again, I'm so in love with my Moon+. The brightness-left/text-size-right swipes are SO gosh darn convenient.
We're in the same camp with Moon+. I was referring to using the Kobo app [more] for my Kobo books. I tend to reach for my Kobo Touch when I would normally reach for the tablet in certain lighting conditions.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
We're in the same camp with Moon+. I was referring to using the Kobo app [more] for my Kobo books. I tend to reach for my Kobo Touch when I would normally reach for the tablet in certain lighting conditions.
My only dislike with Moon+ is that I wish the paragraph breaks were more customizable (I have BIG gaps) and since my phone is running Android, ah, 2.2., I believe, I have the "chapters over X kb size randomly break".

Lately, too, my highlights have been disappearing from Moon+. This, again, only happens with my phone (and not on my Nook Color), so I think it's an Android versioning issue.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
peaceridge
Guru

Thanks everyone,

Having tried Cool Reader, Moon + and Aldiko, I've decided that Aldiko works best for me.

Scion, I can get Aldiko on my desktop (using Zeam), but can't figure out how to get book short cut on there. The shortcut to Aldiko does get me to the current book I'm reading, but I often read more than one at a time. Is there a way to get several book shortcuts? Or even switch between books - I can only use file explorer to get to a different book, not Aldiko. Nevertheless, I do like this reader.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Thanks everyone,

Having tried Cool Reader, Moon + and Aldiko, I've decided that Aldiko works best for me.

Scion, I can get Aldiko on my desktop (using Zeam), but can't figure out how to get book short cut on there. The shortcut to Aldiko does get me to the current book I'm reading, but I often read more than one at a time. Is there a way to get several book shortcuts? Or even switch between books - I can only use file explorer to get to a different book, not Aldiko. Nevertheless, I do like this reader.
Oh, you're using Zeam launcher. ADW Launcher has a create shortcut option. You would long press on the home screen and one of the options to select is Shortcuts. Then select Aldiko and you'll be taken to the Aldiko Library where you would select the book(s) you want. You can do this for as many books as you would like to have shortcuts to. The book covers will be on your desktop.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Oh, you're using Zeam launcher. ADW Launcher has a create shortcut option. You would long press on the home screen and one of the options to select is Shortcuts. Then select Aldiko and you'll be taken to the Aldiko Library where you would select the book(s) you want. You can do this for as many books as you would like to have shortcuts to. The book covers will be on your desktop.
Thank you, thank you. It works so perfect! Since I'm just getting started, I'm not used to either home screen, so, I'll just switch over to ADW! I really appreciate your help.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
peaceridge
Guru

Scion,

Another question - hope you don't mind. I now have no problem creating shortcuts for books I'm reading, but how do I get back to the library itself to pick another book while still having some open? When I press on the home screen, I have to first choose an application and then it takes me to the library. Is there a direct way to get there?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Scion,

Another question - hope you don't mind. I now have no problem creating shortcuts for books I'm reading, but how do I get back to the library itself to pick another book while still having some open? When I press on the home screen, I have to first choose an application and then it takes me to the library. Is there a direct way to get there?
Which library are you trying to go to?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #15
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Which library are you trying to go to?
The Aldiko one. Thanks.

Lyn