Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #46
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I nominate The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories by Ernest Hemingway. At 160 pages, it's much more suitable for holiday reading than the massive 600+ page Complete Stories.

Amazon US / Barnes & Noble / Google Play

Spoiler:
The ideal introduction to the genius of Ernest Hemingway, The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories contains ten of Hemingway's most acclaimed and popular works of short fiction. Selected from Winner Take Nothing, Men Without Women, and The Fifth Column and the First Forty-Nine Stories, this collection includes "The Killers," the first of Hemingway's mature stories to be accepted by an American periodical; the autobiographical "Fathers and Sons," which alludes, for the first time in Hemingway's career, to his father's suicide; "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber," a "brilliant fusion of personal observation, hearsay and invention," wrote Hemingway's biographer, Carlos Baker; and the title story itself, of which Hemingway said: "I put all the true stuff in," with enough material, he boasted, to fill four novels. Beautiful in their simplicity, startling in their originality, and unsurpassed in their craftsmanship, the stories in this volume highlight one of America's master storytellers at the top of his form.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-23-2013 at 02:58 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #47
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Great nominations this month! I'm looking forward to reading whatever book wins.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #48
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You could do worse than The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I nominate The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories by Ernest Hemingway. At 160 pages, it's much more suitable for holiday reading than the massive 600+ page Complete Stories.
Could we combine these two nominations, I mean of course, if this would be okay with Kenny?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #49
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Fine by me and yes, Complete is big, but since it's short stories this month no need to necessarily finish it to discuss stories in it.....

Besides it seemed to me that desertblues was suggesting "The Elephant Vanishes: Stories" by Haruki Murakami which besides the title story it has The Second Bakery Attack and Barn Burning

Quote:
With the same deadpan mania and genius for dislocation that he brought to his internationally acclaimed novels A Wild Sheep Chase and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Haruki Murakami makes this collection of stories a determined assault on the normal. A man sees his favorite elephant vanish into thin air; a newlywed couple suffers attacks of hunger that drive them to hold up a McDonald's in the middle of the night; and a young woman discovers that she has become irresistible to a little green monster who burrows up through her backyard.
http://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Vanis...phant+vanishes

I could withdraw my nomination and suggest this one for DB
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #50
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Fine by me and yes, Complete is big, but since it's short stories this month no need to necessarily finish it to discuss stories in it.....

Besides it seemed to me that desertblues was suggesting "The Elephant Vanishes: Stories" by Haruki Murakami which besides the title story it has The Second Bakery Attack and Barn Burning

Or if the two are combined into one that would make three votes for Hemingway short stories? And that makes 10?
Advert
Old 11-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #51
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Or if the two are combined into one that would make three votes for Hemingway short stories? And that makes 10?
Even if I 'withdraw' mine?

Whatever though....I love short stories.

I just think Tom was surprised at how long short stories can be.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #52
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I think that makes sense - then people can choose whether they want to read the shorter collection or work their way through the whole lot.

I don't think that elephant was planning on vanishing - it had co-ordinated its outfit beautifully to match that of desertblues, so it wanted to be seen.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #53
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I think that makes sense - then people can choose whether they want to read the shorter collection or work their way through the whole lot.

I don't think that elephant was planning on vanishing - it had co-ordinated its outfit beautifully to match that of desertblues, so it wanted to be seen.
Thanks to the two of you. He, he....I was a bit puzzled by this twist of the discussion....but the penny dropped eventually.....still lagging 4,5 hours behind in India.....
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #54
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Could we combine these two nominations, I mean of course, if this would be okay with Kenny?
We could, but it would defeat my purpose in nominating it. I am not going to read 600 pages of Hemingway between now and next month. 160 pages is doable.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #55
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
We could, but it would defeat my purpose in nominating it. I am not going to read 600 pages of Hemingway between now and next month. 160 pages is doable.
and 650 + 170 is actually 820!!

do whatever is right, nominate, vote, read or .....

and besides, The Elephant Vanished....
Old 11-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #56
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Tom, I've understood your purpose. My idea was to change Kenny's nomination to the shorter version and have it supported by you and me so that it is already fully nominated. That's why I asked if this would by fine by Kenny.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #57
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll third Shifu. For those Amazon readers, I don't think it available from Amazon as an ebook.

Does that make 10.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #58
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

And that makes 10. NOMINATIONS are now CLOSED. The poll will be posted shortly.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #59
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Poll!

Let the games begin!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #60
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think I'll vote for "Dubliners," since I would like the participation to be one conducive of respect toward other member's opinions.

If this choice wins, then I can be absolutely assured of that.

Too, I read this years ago and would like to have the opportunity to re-read it.

Excellent: The poll is closed and "Dubliners" it is.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-05-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote