Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The big question(s) does the CSS validate 100% at W3C and does your EPUB validate. (You can have 100% valid nonsense code, so check your logic. BTDT )
But due to a bug in Sigil, CSS with embedded fonts will not validate even if the code is perfect because Sigil is specifying the wrong CSS validation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #17
aterry13
Enthusiast
aterry13 began at the beginning.

Device: nook str
Nope... now it includes the ...Fonts/ part and still - fix the font. And, it is still not clear how - even without that - the italics and bold DID work. Only the normal font doesn't.
aterry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This current conversation does not fit in with the thread topic as it's about removing embedded fonts and not adding them in.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But due to a bug in Sigil, CSS with embedded fonts will not validate even if the code is perfect because Sigil is specifying the wrong CSS validation.
It works if you have to use (paste into) the W3C web page like I do because the inline tool does not function on XP
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
aterry13
Enthusiast

Quote:
Ahhhh, come on.... newbie here! You just went WAY over my head. I am completely self taught up to this point. Is there a way to FIX whatever you just said?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It works if you have to use (paste into) the W3C web page like I do because the inline tool does not function on XP
It's not due to XP. It's due to which validator is selected. the one selected does not validate embedded font code. So even if the code is correct, you get errors.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #22
aterry13
Enthusiast

The other thing that is strange is that this all came from one giant file. Remember, the other 6 parts came out just fine even with the mistakes that I made. So it is only these four.

This is at the top of each section... Might the problem be here? After this, the rest it mostly text OR stuff that I understand...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<link href="../Styles/page_styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>

<body class="calibre3">
<div class="calibre4">
<h1 class="toc-title" id="calibre_pb_0">Contents</h1>

<p class="toc-preface" id="toc-title"><br class="calibre2" /></p>

Is there something there that doesn't match with the style sheet? I think that the calibre3 body already says the right font, so I don't know what else to do....
Old 06-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #23
aterry13
Enthusiast

Quote:
This current conversation does not fit in with the thread topic as it's about removing embedded fonts and not adding them in.
Yes, I know. I actually edited the original comment out and started a new thread (it is back a few comments), but this was where someone was kind enough to answer so I kept going here. I apologize for any problems it may have caused!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by aterry13 View Post
Yes, I know. I actually edited the original comment out and started a new thread (it is back a few comments), but this was where someone was kind enough to answer so I kept going here. I apologize for any problems it may have caused!
You can't throw fragments around and expect anyone to troubleshoot YOUR problem.
Since you appear to have indiscriminately combined portions of various documents, you need to match each and every part of the problem on to the stylesheet.

There is NO SINGLE (magic) stylesheet output from a conversion. Each one is created based upon input the conversion engin gets. One book uses calibre3 for (basic) paragraphs, another for body and calibre 14 for (basic) paragraphs. That is a great reason for Sigil's go to link or style rightclick. It jumps you to that place, where you decide what is going on.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #25
aterry13
Enthusiast

Quote:
You can't throw fragments around and expect anyone to troubleshoot YOUR problem.
Since you appear to have indiscriminately combined portions of various documents, you need to match each and every part of the problem on to the stylesheet.

There is NO SINGLE (magic) stylesheet output from a conversion. Each one is created based upon input the conversion engin gets. One book uses calibre3 for (basic) paragraphs, another for body and calibre 14 for (basic) paragraphs. That is a great reason for Sigil's go to link or style rightclick. It jumps you to that place, where you decide what is going on.
I do apologize. I did not mean to indiscriminately do anything. I had a mystery that I thought was a matter of me just not looking in the right place. As I said, I am completely new to this, I only know what I have been able to figure out, and I was hoping someone might have seen the error that I was missing. I didn't "expect" anyone to do anything. I just thought someone else might have been intrigued by the mystery.

ALL the things that I posted were from the exact same document. As I said, all of this started as ONE document. I made a master copy. Deleted the things I didn't want (not style or fonts - just text) and saved it as part 1. Went back to the original, cut what I didn't want, saved it as part 2. And so on for 10 parts. 6 parts worked, 4 didn't. All the codes I posted were from a single part of that process - there was no switching and pasting from multiple documents. Why would I do that? How would that help? It's from one of the ones that didn't work. Perhaps the things that you saw that made you think they were from different documents is the problem. What doesn't make sense to me is that everything works (italic, bold, bold italic, larger font areas) and switches to the desired font EXCEPT the normal portions. I have gone through each and every line of code - I don't see where it doesn't work. I do see that there seem to be some sort of conflicting commands (use calibre3 here, then immediately following use calibre4) but I don't understand how that should be a problem since all say to go to the embedded font. So while I can see where you would think I haven't tried to go through the code - I have. I just didn't see anything that would prevent the font from embedding.

If you aren't interested in helping, I totally understand. I thought this was an open forum where people could brainstorm problems. I did not go into this expecting someone to "solve the problem" for me, but thought maybe someone more experienced would see something that I was missing with my inexperience. I apologize.

Last edited by aterry13; 06-09-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:23 AM   #26
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You did actually add the fonts to the ePUB did you?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:25 AM   #27
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
It is not a bug. The stylesheets used for ePUB2 are based on version 2.1 (or was it 2.0?), but not fully. The @font-face is not an official part of that.
Therefore the validation is correct in that it is labeled as an error. However, checking against CSS 3.0 is worse, since that contains a lot of stuff that isn't part of the ePUB standard.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #28
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Therefore the validation is correct in that it is labeled as an error. However, checking against CSS 3.0 is worse, since that contains a lot of stuff that isn't part of the ePUB standard.
Given the "gracefully degrade" feature of CSS, that's arguable.

First, @font-face is not an error in ePub, even if it's not supported by CSS 2.1.

Second, you can use whatever CSS properties you want in your ePub, even invent new ones like "blinking-font", "text-decoration: super-wavy-fancy-line", and that's still not an error, they will simply be ignored by any compliant reader. Using CSS3 properties is not forbidden, so I don't think it wouldn't be "worse" to check against CSS3; after all rendering in actual readers is going to be hit-and-miss anyway.

My opinion is that the W3C validater should not mark as errors the usage of unsupported properties (like @font-face in CSS 2.1), but rather as warnings. And then we'd need a validator that recognizes the CSS subset defined for ePub.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The problem is that FlightCrew needs updating so there would not be a need to use the W3C CSS validator. The problem with the validator level that's being used is that it's telling the user that perfectly valid @font CSS code is an error and if the person is not experienced enough, this could cause no end of trouble trying to get the CSS to validate without error. So the way to do this is to either change the CSS validation level or fix FlightCrew.

However, what could also be done is if anything is in the CSS like @font that won't validate with 2.x, use 3.x and if nothing is in the CSS that won't be an issue to 2.x, use 2.x.

But don't do anything that tells the user that valid code is in error.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #30
aterry13
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You did actually add the fonts to the ePUB did you?
By this you mean adding the fonts into the fonts folder, correct? If so, yes, I did do that. Also, the font was added to the styles sheet CSS and the page style CSS.