Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Not remembering last book opened etc.

As of yesterday afternoon, my 302 has decided (full battery or not) to not remember my last opened books. This is applying to books on the internal memory itself, not the SD card. As well, when returning to the book through the library interface, it does not remember the place in the book either.

This was not a problem through yesterday morning, and seems unrelated to its' periodic not-able-to-read-external-memory-card issue.

Any suggestions?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
I would check the internal memory for errors.

If you got a windows machine, connect the reader. The right click on the device and choose "Properties" (? My windows is German. The option might be called something else). In the property window go to the "Extras" tab and use the error check.

The memory can get corrupted when disconnecting the device without using "safely disconnect". Some reader react to corrupted memory parts with write protecting the memory.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Thanks for the suggestion.

No errors were found on internal or external memory, though.

Since it's not been connected to the computer in over a month to load books, and I've been able to delete books after I read them easily, I don't think it's bee marked protected. This would have been a nice solution though. :/

Looking in the "lastopen.txt" file (\system\state) gives me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastopen.txt
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
As does the .af0 file for the book I'm reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booktitle.af0
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
EDIT: I may have spoken too soon. While no errors were found, the I was able to copy files to and from the internal drive, [at least some] files were marked as read only. I changed that and have had at least one successful boot back to an open book. Fingers are crossed. Thanks for getting my brain working in that direction

Last edited by guyanonymous; 02-05-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
guyanonymous
Guru

Hmmm... I wonder if this is something that happened while the battery was at 3 bars. I've another problem that keeps me from letting it drop below 3 bars - it intermittently stops being able to read the external drive. Perhaps things are related.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
Hmmm... I wonder if this is something that happened while the battery was at 3 bars. I've another problem that keeps me from letting it drop below 3 bars - it intermittently stops being able to read the external drive. Perhaps things are related.
I noticed that this may happen when you use Linux and don't eject the reader properly. Could be the same thing happening to you.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
guyanonymous
Guru

Alas, no.

Apart from being charged (AC adapter), the book's been connected to nothing for a month or so.

I'll put it down to one of the many unexplained issues that have crept up on various 302s (due to inconsistent hardware/assembly?), such as people getting different results depending on the firmware they use.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
I had a similar (or the same?) issue once. A hardware-reset helped.
Be aware, that your settings and data will be lost, so try saving them first.
Sorry, it's been a while, so I forgot the procedure, but the search function (or google) will be your friend about this.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
guyanonymous
Guru

I found success by changing the attributes for the folders (and all files/folders within) to make sure they were not set to Read Only.

I'm not sure how that flag had been changed, but all the files I checked were set to Read Only, which, I suspect, was what cause my problem.