Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
weatherwax
Guru
weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650 (red), Kindle PW2, Galaxy Note 8
Where are the foreign language posters?

There is quite some activity with people posting English and German language books. But hardly anything in French, Italian or Spanish (or other languages).
Where do the frankophones, Hispanics, Italians, Dutch, Czech etc post their books?
weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
For French, there's Ebooks libres et grautits
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
jacy
writing thesis on eBooks
jacy is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 3
I'm wondering the same about Portuguese and Japanese e-Reading communities and eBook sources. I'm trying to help some colleagues decide if it's worthwhile for them to get eReaders. Anyone?
jacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ben on est là et comme sur le net pratiquement tout se passe en anglais, on finit par ne même plus se poser la question et l'on fait tout en anglais. Du coup on se fond dans la masse anglophone et on en oublies que l'on est francophone. C'est du moins mon impression.

Oops sorry. I was saying we are there but since most everything on the net is in English one does everything in English without even thinking about what one is doing. As a consequence one merges with the English speaking masses to the point that one forgets one is in fact French speaking. At least that's how it is for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherwax View Post
There is quite some activity with people posting English and German language books. But hardly anything in French, Italian or Spanish (or other languages).
Where do the frankophones, Hispanics, Italians, Dutch, Czech etc post their books?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
As a consequence one merges with the English speaking masses to the point that one forgets one is in fact French speaking. At least that's how it is for me.
But don't you read French anymore? Don't you look for books in French? Don't you wish free French books were uploaded somewhere?

I've also mostly switched to English for the internet, but I still want and read books in other languages (and I've uploaded a few here). I wouldn't read a book originally written in a language I can read in an English translation (except, maybe, "The Forging of a Rebel", which was written in Spanish, but first published as an English translation; by the time it was published in Spanish, the original manuscript was lost, and it had to be back-translated to Spanish).
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes of course I read in French and I do have paper books in French. The thing is the ebook revolution has not yet hit the French speaking world and while a few French ebooks can be found, there are nowhere as many available as can be found in English.

By the way I happen to speak Spanish too so would you happen to know where I could find ebooks by Gabriel García Márquez ?
Especially Cien años de soledad.
Cheers dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But don't you read French anymore? Don't you look for books in French? Don't you wish free French books were uploaded somewhere?

I've also mostly switched to English for the internet, but I still want and read books in other languages (and I've uploaded a few here). I wouldn't read a book originally written in a language I can read in an English translation (except, maybe, "The Forging of a Rebel", which was written in Spanish, but first published as an English translation; by the time it was published in Spanish, the original manuscript was lost, and it had to be back-translated to Spanish).
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
French and Spanish are tough to find.

I'm tackling an Arthur Conan Doyle (non-Holmes) in French, which is working well for reading practice; Spanish is proving more challenging, but Calibre's output of the Spanish newspaper "El Pais" is truly impressive; I have a few copies queued up. Both languages' dictionaries have had almost all of the words I've tapped so far.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
For French, there's Ebooks libres et grautits

See also https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117407

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-31-2011 at 05:42 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:45 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Note that the original post was not about where to get books in other languages from (free or commercial), but where do users post the books they create/format/convert in other languages, the way it is done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos
By the way I happen to speak Spanish too so would you happen to know where I could find ebooks by Gabriel García Márquez ?
There are three books here, they might add Cien años de soledad some day
Old 01-31-2011, 05:49 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Oops sorry. I was saying we are there but since most everything on the net is in English one does everything in English without even thinking about what one is doing. As a consequence one merges with the English speaking masses to the point that one forgets one is in fact French speaking. At least that's how it is for me.
And for me...

Quote:
Naturally, I can't speak of French books, but, for Dutch books: I wouldn't care. The Dutch language has changed so much the last 70 years, that I find out-of-copyright books difficult to read. I find 70+ year old books in English easier to read than 70+ year old books in Dutch...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 AM   #11
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Note that the original post was not about where to get books in other languages from (free or commercial), but where do users post the books they create/format/convert in other languages, the way it is done here ...
Thanks for pointing that out. Oh well, perhaps the list that I posted will be of interest to someone.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
And for me...

Naturally, I can't speak of French books, but, for Dutch books: I wouldn't care. The Dutch language has changed so much the last 70 years, that I find out-of-copyright books difficult to read. I find 70+ year old books in English easier to read than 70+ year old books in Dutch...
The grammar (structure), or the vocabulary? I understand that Japanese is such now with loan words (from English mostly) that grandparents have great difficulty following their grandchildrens' discussions.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Cheers dude
At the following stores spanish ebooks can be bought and downloaded:
Fnac
Leer-e
El Corte Ingles
Casa del Libro
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Cheers dude
As far as I know there do no Gabo ebooks exist, neither in Spanish nor in English nor German nor any other language.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
As far as I know there do no Gabo ebooks exist, neither in Spanish nor in English nor German nor any other language.
Check post #9 again