Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Series

In genre fiction, series are common. One of the big issues that I've run into is how to mark them in Calibre. Recently, I was going through Calibre looking at a couple of series. Both series had a few omnibus books that didn't track with the actual order of the books. On one series, one omnibus book had books 1 and 4 of the series with a different omnibus book having 2 and 3 (the series had different authors/co-authors). The other series had multiple omnibus books, but one seemed to be a catch all for the ones not in the first 3 omnibus books. I personally prefer to read in chronological order rather than published order, so a bit of a problem.

Then, of course, you have series that branch off into sub tracks. The Honor Harrington books of David Weber are an example of that. Definitely a 1st world problem as they say, but something that can be a bit annoying when I'm trying to read the books in chronological order.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The way I do it for Calibre is to just keep the same series name and put them the order I want to read them. When you get an omnibus that's out of order, use the ePubSplit plugin to separate them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The way I do it for Calibre is to just keep the same series name and put them the order I want to read them. When you get an omnibus that's out of order, use the ePubSplit plugin to separate them.
Yep, this. Then I assign the split books x.5.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I usually split every omnibus as soon as I get it. The only one I can think of that I have not split is the three book series The Complete Hammer's Slammers Volume 1 through 3. I just have them listed as a separate series The Complete Hammer's Slammers. 1-3.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
There's a couple of omnibuses I've not split, but that's because the structure of the file means there's no break point. Otherwise, EpubSplit is your friend, especially as you now can mark common sections so you don't have to keep re-selecting them.

What I've also done for series with sub-series (or a connected universe) is to use custom columns for the sub-series and have a meta-series as the main series. Examples here would be the Foundation Universe (different series at different timelines), or Alan Dean Foster's Humanx Universe which have braided series. I find it useful to have the meta-series in date order (easy to identify the date with Humanx, not so easy with Foundation), then it's trivial to slot in new volumes.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2020, 07:44 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
ok, thanks y'all. I'll give that a try.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote