Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2019, 02:31 PM   #16
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I don't really want a significant update, all I want is better resolution than the PW2. I might try to buy a PW3. I've tried to find a refurbished one on Amazon UK, but found nothing, and don't trust ebay.

I might start a thread in Which One Should I buy.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:52 PM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I don't really want a significant update, all I want is better resolution than the PW2. I might try to buy a PW3. I've tried to find a refurbished one on Amazon UK, but found nothing, and don't trust ebay.

If you're considering the Paperwhites, either PW3 or PW4 are more than fine, imho. Both are 300 ppi and for myself, it's sharp enough to read manga on. Contrast on the PW3 is slightly better than PW4 but you kinda forget about it after reading for 5 minutes.

In the US, there's like an ongoing 20-25% off new Kindles with trade-in of an older model (even non-working) in addition to the trade-in credit for the device (for PW, $5 non-working/damaged, $25 working). It stacks with any current promotional discounts Amazon is running so you can sometimes get a brand new Paperwhite for under $50.

I'm not sure if you get similar deals in the UK but it's worth checking out.

Mind, an Amazon 4-star retail store recently opened near my area so I had a chance to play with the Kindle Oasis 3. It feels super light and comfy in hand. It's a good thing it's not jailbreakable else I probably would've gone home $300+tax lighter (32GB non-SO).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #18
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Two things are holding me back from upgrading from my PW2.

1. Jailbreakable - for book cover as screensaver. That's the only reason I jailbreak.

2. Glass cover instead of plastic. I don't like the plastic screen cover on the PW4.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 04:37 PM   #19
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bookyboy can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
Two things are holding me back from upgrading from my PW2.

1. Jailbreakable - for book cover as screensaver. That's the only reason I jailbreak.

2. Glass cover instead of plastic. I don't like the plastic screen cover on the PW4.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Is the paperwhite three a glass cover?

My spouse went from PW2 to PW4 and she’s not loving it (flush screen)...
It may be going back while we still can.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #20
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Nope.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #21
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post

My spouse went from PW2 to PW4 and she’s not loving it (flush screen)...
It may be going back while we still can.
The flush bezel and the reported faded text is the main reason I'll skip the PW4.

I won't be trading in my PW2 as it's still useful.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:36 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
There were some rumors of a voyage 2....that may still happen...
BS. Not going to happen. A new Voyage would not sell. Between the OW4 and the Oasis 3, there's no room for a Voyage. The Voyage was too expensive as is. It would either have to be sold at a loss or sold for too much compared to the Oasis 3. So forget the idea of a new Voyage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

No need. I'll answer here. Kobo Clara HD.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:14 PM   #24
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No need. I'll answer here. Kobo Clara HD.
I bought a Clara HD about two years ago; it had terrible light bleed so I had to return it. Has this problem definitely been fixed?

I quite like some of the Pocketbook models, especially because they read such a wide range of formats, but not sure I really want to spend so much on something I don't need.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:11 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I bought a Clara HD about two years ago; it had terrible light bleed so I had to return it. Has this problem definitely been fixed?

I quite like some of the Pocketbook models, especially because they read such a wide range of formats, but not sure I really want to spend so much on something I don't need.
As we are not having new threads on light bleed, I would say yes it's been fixed.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #26
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
As we are not having new threads on light bleed, I would say yes it's been fixed.
Thank you. The Clara is much more affordable than any PocketBook models and more reliable than buying a used PW3 from ebay.

Has anyone successfully bought an ereader from ebay and recieved one with a good battery? I'm torn about leaving the Amazon model.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:28 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank you. The Clara is much more affordable than any PocketBook models and more reliable than buying a used PW3 from ebay.

Has anyone successfully bought an ereader from ebay and recieved one with a good battery? I'm torn about leaving the Amazon model.
I have read n MR of some buying Kobo from eBay and no word of a problem with the battery. My suggestion is start a new thread in the Kobo forum about buying a Kobo from eBay.

One advantage to buying a Kobo from eBay vs a Kindle is that there is no way you can get a Kobo that's blacklisted.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:38 AM   #28
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
I have read n MR of some buying Kobo from eBay and no word of a problem with the battery. My suggestion is start a new thread in the Kobo forum about buying a Kobo from eBay.

One advantage to buying a Kobo from eBay vs a Kindle is that there is no way you can get a Kobo that's blacklisted.
I would purchase the Clara new. It's the PW3 which I'd have to buy from ebay - Amazon don't have any, not even refurbs. Ideally, I'd like to stay with the Kindle, but don't like the PW4. So I'm just weighing up the pros and cons of a new Clara versus a used PW3 from ebay.

I have seem some buyers on ebay actually declaring that the Kindle they're selling is blacklisted.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:52 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have seem some buyers on ebay actually declaring that the Kindle they're selling is blacklisted.
Why would anyone buy a blacklisted Kindle on purpose unless maybe it's for the screen?
Old 12-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #30
BookCat
C L J

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazon-Ki...8AAOSwroZasSRi

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazon-Ki...eAPWt#viTabs_0

Just two "locked" ones I found.

Tags
new release, paperwhite