Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-18-2019, 11:55 PM   #1
petey64
petey64 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Text to Speech of Calibre PDF on a Kindle

Hi Everyone. I am visually-impaired and require TTS for ebooks. I am taking a personal trainer cert course that requires a specific text book, ACSM Resources for the Personal Trainer. I was able to download a free PDF version of the book which was formatted by Calibre software, and a free PDF to Speech app on the Kindle. The PDF is over 1000 pages, and it gets hung up when opening in the app.

Is there a better solution to use TTS for the Calibre PDF of the text book on a Kindle?
petey64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by petey64 View Post
Hi Everyone. I am visually-impaired and require TTS for ebooks. I am taking a personal trainer cert course that requires a specific text book, ACSM Resources for the Personal Trainer. I was able to download a free PDF version of the book which was formatted by Calibre software, and a free PDF to Speech app on the Kindle. The PDF is over 1000 pages, and it gets hung up when opening in the app.

Is there a better solution to use TTS for the Calibre PDF of the text book on a Kindle?
I have to wonder if this a legitimate copy of the ebook? Last time I looked, the book was around $100 Cdn and was available in hardcover and epub3 ebook editions from the publisher and as a Kindle ebook from Amazon. A free version converted by calibre sounds suspiciously like a pirated edition.

Edit #2: I took a look at Amazon.ca's page for the Kindle edition. It gives the length as 36 pages which suggests the only direct download is a sample. The instructions on the page state:

After purchasing this product, Amazon will e-mail you an Access Code and redemption instructions for this online content. In some cases, you may also require a course code from your Instructor. Please consult the e-mail for additional details on redeeming your code and accessing the online content

The page also states that this is text to speech enabled.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-19-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Edit: Double checked my memory of the price for the epub3 and it is around $106 Cdn.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, pdf, text-to-speech. kindle, tts