Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
JoeyH
JoeyH began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reader for newspapers and magazines

Up to now, my experience with e-reading devices has been limited to a Kindle app on my Ipod Touch.

Most days for lunch, I take along a paper copy of the New York Times or New Yorker Magazine. I'd like to be able to take along an e-reader instead to views these publications and perhaps other newspapers. I really don't care about any other tasks that a tablet might be able to do.

Looking for recommendations from forum members who actually have experience with reading publications.

Anyone tried newspapers yet with TheBook? It looks like it might be a good candidate.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Joey
JoeyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's one device that stands out a mile from the competition for this purpose: the Apple iPad. You'll find that many newspapers and magazines are now available for it as Apps.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's one device that stands out a mile from the competition for this purpose: the Apple iPad. You'll find that many newspapers and magazines are now available for it as Apps.
I second that, pressreader for newspapers, Zinio for Magazine and other stand alone Magazine apps = awesome
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:37 AM   #4
jdh
Enthusiast
jdh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle3, Voyage
I would like to use wifi to download the current issue of newspapers/magazines to the ipad and then read them offline. Typically the reading would be done when there isn't wifi (Amtrak) and I would prefer not to use 3G (to save $ and battery life). Do the ipad apps support this?
jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
I would like to use wifi to download the current issue of newspapers/magazines to the ipad and then read them offline. Typically the reading would be done when there isn't wifi (Amtrak) and I would prefer not to use 3G (to save $ and battery life). Do the ipad apps support this?
Zinio and PressReader both work exactly like this, when a new issue is available it is downloaded to your device and is then available offline.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert