Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Spalding's Racket-making a noise about indie authors! [on self-publishing post #48]

Hi folks,

I've created a new blog to help promote the work of indie authors on the web.

I'll post blogs about submitted books, thus helping to increase their presence and get information about them to as many people as possible.

I won't go into everything here…it's all on the blog, so please take a look at the below address.

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Nick

Spalding's Racket
Old 07-22-2010, 03:40 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Signed up a few hours ago, Nick. A neat and generous idea for a blog. I'm sure many here will want to join the fun. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
Old 07-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seven books uploaded already, twelve waiting in the wings - so plenty of content for next few days

If you're an author, please submit your book via the methods given on the blog and let people know your book is on it when it gets uploaded...the more I can link the blog the more traffic and the more promotion for all of us!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
dlmartin6
Debra L Martin
dlmartin6 doesn't litterdlmartin6 doesn't litter

Thanks for doing this Nick and for featuring my book.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
NickSpalding
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmartin6 View Post
Thanks for doing this Nick and for featuring my book.
No problem!

The blog now has over a hundred subscribers and is getting roughly 400 hits a day, so it's all going well so far Just need people to keep promoting their posts and the blog in general. It should become a useful resource that way.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
From the front page:

"This e-book has been professionally edited and formatted to insure that the quality of its presentation equals that of its content."

Just as well it doesn't say it has been spell checked
Old 07-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
I love Spalding's Racket! Especially because I have the honor of being the first author featured.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
NickSpalding
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
From the front page:

"This e-book has been professionally edited and formatted to insure that the quality of its presentation equals that of its content."

Just as well it doesn't say it has been spell checked
Heh...good spot, I've removed the sentence to save the author's blushes!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
NickSpalding
Addict

The two books for today are An Inconsequential Murder by Rodolfo Pena, a crime thriller and Secrets In The Shadows, a romantic suspense story by TL Haddix.

Subscribe and support your fellow indie authors!

Nick
Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
NickSpalding
Addict

Spalding's Racket - great indie books for you!

Hi,

Please check out my blog Spalding's Racket, where I feature great books by indie authors each and every day.

You can find out more here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91615

Please take a look and subscribe to the blog to support indie authors everywhere!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Nick, are you posting whatever the authors send you, or are you somehow screening the books? I checked one of the offered titles and it had a typo on the first page! I am all for spotlighting indie authors, but I would rather read an actual review then just a PR blurb for a book nobody has actually looked at....
Old 08-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
NickSpalding
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Nick, are you posting whatever the authors send you, or are you somehow screening the books? I checked one of the offered titles and it had a typo on the first page! I am all for spotlighting indie authors, but I would rather read an actual review then just a PR blurb for a book nobody has actually looked at....
It's a bit of a balancing act at the moment - I need the posts to increase readership and I don't have time to screen many of the books, so sorry that there's one with a typo in it.

I was thinking of introducing a feedback mechanism from readers where they could comment on stuff like that - not reviews of the story so much as comments on the quality of the the grammar, spelling etc.

I will start encouraging readers to leave comments to that effect, so please leave one about the book in question!
Old 08-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSpalding View Post
It's a bit of a balancing act at the moment - I need the posts to increase readership and I don't have time to screen many of the books, so sorry that there's one with a typo in it.
You might consider reader screening (prior, not post), not unlike the icanhascheezburger empire. Users make suggestions, rate each other's suggestions, and the cream of the crop rises.

While software makes that process easier, it's possible to pull off manually. Down the road, if it works well enough, you could add the necessary software to automate the process.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
NickSpalding
Addict

David Conifer's satire Snodgrass Vacation is today's book on The Racket
Old 08-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #15
NickSpalding
Addict

Today's book is:

Closing My Eyes Helps Me To See Clearly by Kipp Poe Speicher - Contemporary Fantasy Short
Closed Thread