Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
Charging issue with Nook WiFi

Has anyone had any issues with the Nook WiFi charging? It gives the amber light like it is charging, but it never charges whether on the wall or a computer. I ask because I bought my wife a Nook WiFi and had the exact same issue. Being a computer tech for 14 years, I went through the normal things like using a different cable or different charging sources. After I did a factory reset, it started charging again but after I reloaded everything, it stopped. I took mine back to a store and they exchanged it for a new one. Lo and behold, it was charging fine last night until I loaded three books on it and synced it with Adobe Digital Editions. Now, this morning, amber light but not charging. As crazy as it sounds, it seems like the authorization of Adobe Digital Editions is what is making it stop charging. It was at this point on the previous unit that it stopped charging as well.
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have a Nook Wifi, no charging problems. Haven't used ADE, and have only used Calibre thus far.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larken View Post
Has anyone had any issues with the Nook WiFi charging? It gives the amber light like it is charging, but it never charges whether on the wall or a computer. I ask because I bought my wife a Nook WiFi and had the exact same issue. Being a computer tech for 14 years, I went through the normal things like using a different cable or different charging sources. After I did a factory reset, it started charging again but after I reloaded everything, it stopped. I took mine back to a store and they exchanged it for a new one. Lo and behold, it was charging fine last night until I loaded three books on it and synced it with Adobe Digital Editions. Now, this morning, amber light but not charging. As crazy as it sounds, it seems like the authorization of Adobe Digital Editions is what is making it stop charging. It was at this point on the previous unit that it stopped charging as well.
Someone at the B&N forum mentioned the same problem. In that case the problem was caused by a faulty battery.
The B&N store put in a new battery, which solved the problem.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Don't know if this will help, but I had a similar charging problem (though not with ADE but using Calibre). When plugged into the computer, you have to go to the my computer screen, and right click on the "nook" drive and eject that way and NOT using the icon "safely remove" in the lower right corner. Or using the eject in Calibre. I'm using Windows 7.

After I plugged in the nook and ejected it that way, it's charging again. Hope that helps you.

Edited to add: Another thing to try is to make sure the Nook wifi is on before you plug it into your computer. For some reason, I can't start a charge if I'm on airplane mode.

Last edited by graphicsgirl; 07-05-2010 at 04:23 AM.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
sashusmom
Enthusiast
sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iphone 3gs-(JB), asus 1000h, e-ink nook, libre pro, Wht PDN, Huawei s7
Wink battery issue

Hi. My first nook had a subtle grainy feel to the touch screen which interfered with swiping. My mom also has a nook and you could definitely tell the difference. I swapped it for a new one a week later. The store clerks said they could also feel a difference and had no problems exchanging.

When I got the new one home I plugged it in to charge and there was no light, no charging icon, nothing. It was dead-dead-dead. After 2 hrs of nothing, I brought it back that same day and it was a bad battery. The clerk swapped her battery from the demo nook and it turned on no problem. So they just gave me a new battery. Took it home and no problems since then.

I also soft rooted it that same nite. The main reason was I wanted the library consolidated- not 2 separate ones. The best thing I ever did to a gadget!! And it was so easy!!!! The only dummy thing I did was still ending up with 2 separate libraries. I watched mossite's videos again on youtube (great resource for anyone not sure about what softrooting is all about). I noticed she kept saying the "my books" icon, not the "my library" icon which is what I had. So I went looking for the available icons and sure enough, it was hiding. I added the "my books" icon to the touch screen flow and horray, There was my one integrated library instead of two. With the great search functions. Mossite, your vids rock! Sometimes it takes more than one viewing for things to sink in! Be aware that in the new library, you only get cover flow for the non B&N books- Just the opposite of the original icon. I hope someone figures out how to get both soon. So I left both library icons on the touch screen. When I want cover flow from B&N library, I use the original icon. When I want my sideloaded library, I use the MY Books icon.

Some of you may notice I have been posting in the libre pro forum. I bought that the week before the price drop of the nook. When I played with my mom's nook I really liked it too. So I bought a nook and was going to return my libre pro. But I really like that for other reasons- more formats and much smaller for carrying around in a purse on the go. So I ended up keeping them both. I love them both for their own unique qualities. (and I ended up selling an older reader and memory cards which basically paid for the libre pro). So no guilt for keeping both!
sashusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicsgirl View Post
Another thing to try is to make sure the Nook wifi is on before you plug it into your computer. For some reason, I can't start a charge if I'm on airplane mode.
That's interesting, because when I read that, I had to check mine, which was plugged in and charging. It went from 90% to 100% while I was at lunch, on airplane mode. But it was plugged into the outlet converter, not USB on my computer.
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo

Quote:
Another thing to try is to make sure the Nook wifi is on before you plug it into your computer. For some reason, I can't start a charge if I'm on airplane mode.
Just an update, this morning I plugged it in to the USB on the computer, and it charged just fine.

Perhaps there isn't power to the USB slot you plugged yours in to?
I have 3 USB slots on the front of my computer. Two next to the front audio outputs, and another next to the card reader slots. The one next to the card reader slots will access USB memory, but does not provide power, so I can't use that slot to charge anything, or run a USB hard drive. Just a thought.

Last edited by ThomasMc; 07-08-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMc View Post

Perhaps there isn't power to the USB slot you plugged yours in to?
He is saying it has been charging fine UNTIL he put Adobe Digital Edition books on it and suspect it's an issue only related to ADE on the nook. Do you also use ADE to transfer books to your nook when you say yours charges fine both on USB and wall charger?
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
He is saying it has been charging fine UNTIL he put Adobe Digital Edition books on it and suspect it's an issue only related to ADE on the nook.
Actually, I was responding to graphicsgirl, post # 4, not the original poster.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
Sylver
Addict

Quote:
For some reason, I can't start a charge if I'm on airplane mode.
Oh, my goodness, I just tried my nook wifi and had the same thing, I had turned off the airplane mode and had it plugged in for 3 hours, the battery bench stays at 96% without any change at all. The wifi only nook definitely has some issue in charging.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
sashusmom
Enthusiast
sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

update on my battery problem

Well...2 days later after getting a new battery from B&N I went to use my nook- had wifi off (airplane mode on) and it was on sleep. It went from 100 % charge to dead in 2 days. Not being used. I read on the screen "battery is too low- must charge before it will turn on" ( something like that) . I plugged it in to charge and nothing- DEAD-dead-dead- again!!! So back to the store I went for a third swap. I think the internal charging system was draining the battery to nothing even when off. That's what it was like when I brought it home new. Dead. New one seems to be OK but the battery does go fast when even when sleeping. Is anyone else having batteries drain with very little use? Wifi is off. Does softrooting make the battery drain faster? I'm thinking of going back to stock software.

Does the nook go dead when battery dies? Is it standard to have to remove battery, plug in to wall, replace battery and start charging from that point? If so, that's a huge inconveniance.. Might as well as turn it off instead of sleeping. At least that way a dead battery can't sneak up on you.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #12
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Wow you are really having a lot of trouble. I have ADE on my computer and use it for downloading library books for my Nook. The only charging problem I've had was when I first got my Nook, I plugged it in and left it overnight. The next morning the charge light was still on, and when I looked at it, the battery was only like 87% charged. I went ahead and started using it. The next time I charged it, it worked fine and has been fine since.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
Sylver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
I plugged it in and left it overnight. The next morning the charge light was still on, and when I looked at it, the battery was only like 87% charged.
A whole night and still around 87%? This still sounds some issue that I have never ever experienced in other ereaders. I started to worry, as the first time I charged my nook wifi, everything went OK in about 3 or 4 hours. Then starting yesterday, the battery simply does not charge, I have tried turn on or off the airplane mode and tried both USB and wall charger, the orange light stays on, but the battery guage does not change over 2 or 3 hours charging, I will leave it overnight also to see if this helps. Merely a week of normal usage, this is very disappointing - I will have to return it if the battery is this poor.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
Sylver
Addict

OK, I reset the nook and it starts to charge - interesting, it appeared it is not very consistent, I will do more testing - it really is weird that one cannot have an ease of mind to know whether it is really charging by simply plugging it in.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
sashusmom
Enthusiast

Wink battery update

OK- it's been 24 hours since I charged up to 100% after softrooting. I used wifi a little to download books. Made sure it was shut off(airplane mode), read a little(30 min), played a little with settings, and put off for the nite. This morning turned it on and it has 87% battery left. I'll leave it on sleep most of the day and see what happens. It seems to have stabilized after a cycle of charge and recharge. I'll keep my fingers crossed.