Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
First Encounter with Bad ADE PDF formatting

So I got my first library e-book, Philip K. Dick's "Man in the High Castle." It's an amazing read...despite the formatting.

I have spent so many years reading message boards, newsgroups, e-mails, and blogs that I can handle a few formatting issues when reading.

However, no matter how I set the font size, this book just looks bad in PDF format, and a person with lower tolerance probably would have given up. The errors are staggering and numerous.

Words cut off in the middle of the screen, the original page numbers show up randomly on the screen, often below the text, and a line of poetry was butchered beyond my ability to read it. I didn't expect perfection, but man, that was rough to handle.

Now, I got this for free, so I'm not crying. But I had *paid* for this PDF, I'd have been mighty mad.

I'm definitely going to think twice before reading an Adobe Digital Editions PDF again, and I certain won't buy an e-book in that format.

I noticed B&N has the same e-book for $10. I sincerely hope it's formatted better than this one.

I guess moral of the story is don't count on being able to read PDFs very well until they start to make them for smaller screens or until I opt to get a bigger e-reader for home use? Or was I just being picky?

(Hope this is an okay place to discuss this. Sorry if I misplaced it.)

-Rob
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
PDFs have always been a last resort for me. Thankfully epub ebooks are becoming more common.
I've generally had a good run with purchased PDFs but a couple had bad formatting such as words split between lines and not getting the chapter headings once reflow was turned(selecting large font size on Sonys).
PDF capability also varies quite drastically from pretty hopeless to quite decent depending on the reader.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Hi Rob, and welcome to MR - I think you've discovered why pdf is poorly received here on MR - certainly for novels.

You could try putting the pdf through Calibre - but I suspect even that good render would struggle to provide a decent reading book for you.

Never mind - onto the next ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Every eBook format has poorly made eBooks. So are you saying that if you get one of these poorly made eBooks, that the format it is in is one you will never ever again use? That would mean you might as well go back to paper books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Every eBook format has poorly made eBooks. So are you saying that if you get one of these poorly made eBooks, that the format it is in is one you will never ever again use? That would mean you might as well go back to paper books.
Until you get one of those paper books that are a direct printout of Project Gutenberg texts.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Rob

Where did you source the pdf from - I wonder if this is just poor scanning saved into pdf format ....
Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Until you get one of those paper books that are a direct printout of Project Gutenberg texts.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Rob

Where did you source the pdf from - I wonder if this is just poor scanning saved into pdf format ....
It was a library e-book, so I didn't have any control, and since it's DRM locked, I couldn't try to re-format it. Had this been a free PDF, I'd have played around with it in Calibre and seen what I could do to fix it up a bit.

As to the other poster's question of giving up on a badly formatted file type--my point is that I already had a pretty good idea that PDFs don't work very well on a smaller screen, so if i can avoid them, that's going to be the plan. Can't see the point to making reading harder if it doesn't have to be.

I also noted that I'm quite capable of reading anything badly formatted if i really want to, as the internet has never been known as a perfectly formatted paradise.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
wow

It looks like it was put out by Knopf Doubleday, which makes me surprised that the book has such poor formatting, though I suppose I should not be. Its known that a number of novels that the big publishing houses have released have been poorly formatted.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote