Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckynp View Post
HOWEVER, this order will be lost if any of the following 3 things happens:

1 You inadvertently untick your books in iTunes and do an automatic sync. This will wipe all your books. If you then resync them, Apple will do its own thing.

2 Apple update the iBooks application.

3 Apple update the iPad OS.
2 and 3 are no longer the case with recent versions of iBooks. My bookshelf ordering has now survived both an o/s upgrade and an iBooks upgrade unscathed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_kev View Post
Thanks, I was wondering about this too. I really would like to sort the Bookshelf the way that I want.

It would be really great if you could create other bookshelves. So that You can have a Fiction bookshelf, Currently reading bookshelf, Technical Bookshelf, User Manual bookshelf (yes - I have a few of these for ipad, camera, etc mostly in pdf at the moment).
What I'd like more than anything is the ability to select different types of wood (or indeed other substances) for my bookshelf.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #18
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Ha, ha, Harry! It drove me crazy when I first got my iPad, trying to figure out how to order the bookshelf by title, instead of showing covers. I had to google it, and I still had trouble getting the iPad to "find" the option at the top of the iBooks screen.

I'm not sure why they didn't make the options for sorting more obvious.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #19
Gtrcoop
Gtrcoop began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks for this fix; however, I just did everything suggested by Luckynp and was successful in getting all books together by author but they are displayed on the iPad starting with "Z."

I went through the "Author Sort" field in the metadata and did a reverse order before the author's last like like Luckynp suggested (glo Tolstoy, Leo). Even reconverted the books as Epub eventhough they were all Epub files to begin with.

Did I miss a step? Do I need to actually do a reverse code in the "Author" field in the metadata? The current "Author" field is set with last name first, then first name.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm happy that all author's books are together on the bookshelf but would love to actually have them starting with "A."

Thanks in advance for your help!
Gtrcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:16 AM   #20
Luckynp
Luckynp began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad; Sony: iPad
Hi Gtrcoop

The only thing I can think of why this did not work - after reconverting the books, you need to remove all your books from the itunes library and then add them again from the newly converted calibre library. That way itunes has links to the corercted metadata and the reverse alpha codes. Then remove them from the ipad and resync as described above.

It seems like a real nusiance to do all this, but believe me, the satisfaction of seeing all your books transfer in the correct alphabetical order (together with the joy of having defeated Apple's insane programming) is well worth the effort.

The real annoyance in all this is that Apple have not issued any real form of ibooks documentation. If there were a reasonable, technical manual available, explaining how sorting is done, then we would not have to resort to guesswork.
Luckynp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #21
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but holding down until the icon enlarges and then dragging and dropping works.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #22
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
What is even more interesting is you can view the books in list view..in whatever order you have your bookshelf arranged-its like an ordered list view of my totally randomized bookshelf!
I couldn't figure out getting into list view.

ETA: I did somehow get there, but I have no idea if I could reproduce what I did.

Last edited by Seanette; 10-29-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: update
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #23
Gtrcoop

Thanks for the assistance Luckynp. I'm fairly certain I deleted all books from iTunes and then imported all ebooks from Caliber. I'll try it again just to make sure.

Monkeyluis - you are correct about dragging and dropping; however, I have over 650 ebooks and that would take some time to complete. I actually started doing that and then searched for an easier way.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #24
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
Not everyone. Just those of us who were already familiar with the iPhone or iPod touch since this is fairly standard iThing behavior. Although, I have to admit, the first time I instinctively pressed and held the icon, which is the way you move apps around and of course, in iBooks that just opens the book. Then I saw the edit button...
Stupid question from iOS newbie: I've never been able to move apps around on the device (3gen iTouch, iOS 4.1), but only from iTunes. How did you get that to work?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:38 AM   #25
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Stupid question from iOS newbie: I've never been able to move apps around on the device (3gen iTouch, iOS 4.1), but only from iTunes. How did you get that to work?
Hold your finger on the icon for the app for a few seconds until the X appears in the corner. Then you can drag it to a new position. Hit the home button when you are done.
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:17 AM   #26
Seanette
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikelet View Post
Hold your finger on the icon for the app for a few seconds until the X appears in the corner. Then you can drag it to a new position. Hit the home button when you are done.
Cool, it works! Thanks!

Now if I can adjust the font size in Music so I can see more than a few list items at once, I'll be really thrilled.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #27
Gtrcoop

Well Luckynp, it didn't work. I deleted all ebooks from iTunes (which were all in the right alpha order in Caliber), re-synced. Uploaded all ebooks (in the right alpha order) from Caliber again. All books are grouped by Author together but STILL in descending alpha order beginning with "Z." Don't know what I'm doing wrong?

Guess I'll have to spend half a day moving everything to ascending alpha order in iTunes. Arrrrgggggg!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #28
Luckynp
Luckynp began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad; Sony: iPad
At last, the latest upgrade to iBooks has more or less solved this problem.

You can now create collections (effectively folders) each with its own bookshelf. I have created a separate folder for each author in my collection with more than 2 or 3 books and alphabetical folders for the others.

You can select multiple books in list view and move them to the collection of your choice.

You can edit these collections and drag them into alphabetical order.

You can then end up with an alphabetical list of your authors. Touching an author's name will take you to the bookshelf containing all that author's books. Magical! I just hope that future resets of iBooks doesn't lose all this information.
Luckynp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #29
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
They've just added collections so you can have multiple Bookshelves. After setting up the other "shelves", you click edit, mark the books you want to move, and then click on the collection you want them in. It must be easy to figure out because I figured it out
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #30
Gtrcoop

It's been so long that I forgot this issue and just decided to live with it. Now, I'll quickly revisit it and get things in order FINALLY!

Thanks for the heads up on the update!