Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Please help me identify manufacturer/device!

I noticed an ebook reader offered at a local electronics (office) store here in Greece. They tend to OEM (re-sell) products under their "TurboX" brand. I would like to identify the manufacturer of the device so that I can evaluate the software/hardware etc. The store here doesn't provide many details.

The price is pretty good for Europe - about 260 euros. Although I haven't been following prices too much - perhaps someone can let me know if this is a reasonable price for a 6" eink reader? Remember that I am in Europe, so US prices can't be compared, although mail-order within Europe is an option.

I do not know what accessories it comes with except a USB cable (and A/C charger?). I'd like to know about PC-side software is needed, if any, and if I can use folders (the images do tend to suggest that). The one brochure states that it displays: ePub, PDF, TXT, RTF, HTML, (DRM)FB2 or Mobibook PRC. I don't understand the "OR" but the salesperson knew next to nothing.

There is an attached PDF file with views of the device, it has a pleasing rubbery cover to avoid slips. I've been thinking about buying a 6" eink device - to evaluate the difference with the jetBook (5", reflective LCD screen).

Thank you for any assistance with this!
Reba
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plaisio_Turbo-X(OEM).pdf (172.9 KB, 1052 views)
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:20 AM   #2
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
It looks a clon of a old netronix, maybe you'll have a look at the matrix, in the mobileread wiki, surely you'll find a lot of information about clones, pros and contras.
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
The price is pretty good for Europe - about 260 euros. Although I haven't been following prices too much - perhaps someone can let me know if this is a reasonable price for a 6" eink reader? ... The one brochure states that it displays: ePub, PDF, TXT, RTF, HTML, (DRM)FB2 or Mobibook PRC. I don't understand the "OR" but the salesperson knew next to nothing.
It does indeed look like a Netronix EB600 variant. For that, €260,= is reasonable, but the BeBook (a Hanlin V3 OEM) can be had cheaper (I got mine for €249,=).

The 'or' might mean that it supports either ePub or MobiPocket DRM through different software versions, but not both at the same time, like Bookeen does with their Gen3. But that's just a guess on my part.

There is some info out there, but almost all of it is in Greek, which I can't read and Google Translate pretty much chokes on. There is a thread on it right here on MobileRead, though: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69089. It uses Adobe Digital Editions for ePub, which implies it probably supports Adobe DRM.

Last edited by mbovenka; 03-16-2010 at 05:48 AM. Reason: New info
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Thanks!

There is some info out there, but almost all of it is in Greek, which I can't read and Google Translate pretty much chokes on. There is a thread on it right here on MobileRead, though: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69089. It uses Adobe Digital Editions for ePub, which implies it probably supports Adobe DRM.[/QUOTE]

Guess I'm way behind the times - yes, this is the device (and store) that I saw.
Thanks for the link, and I'll look at bebook also!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote