Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
Zzyzx
Enthusiast
Zzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Opus, Odyssey Frontlight, Kobo Mini
Sony prs-300 or Bookeen Cybook Opus?

I'm looking for a second reader and I've almost landed on one of these two. I already have the prs-600 but i need something that does not have that much glare and which works better with more or less poor light.

Prs-300 and Opus are chosen mainly because of their size, I want to keep it small.

Which one would you choose? And why?
Zzyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I've chosen Opus because it's smaller, I can switch to Mobipocket and, if I keep ePub, it justifies (no ragged right text, please)
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
PRS-300 $179 (Newegg and BestBuy right now)
Cybook Opus $249

With that said, and even being a 300 owner, the Opus looks really nice and has some nice features missing on the 300, like the side button page turner, a little lighter, an SD card slot and double the internal memory. Both read Adobe ePub. If you would use some of the features and don't mind the price difference I would 2nd the Opus. But you also wouldn't go wrong with the 300 if you chose that instead.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, yes, I hadn't talked about it because it's very different regarding to the country. Here, in Spain: Opus -> 250 €, PRS-300 -> 230 €. I've bought my second-hand Opus at Amazon Market Place by 220 $ (164€ at home).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
If they are that close in price I would definitely say the Opus. Not sure what the Sony has over the Opus to pick it if the price is close.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
Zzyzx
Enthusiast
Zzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura about

I think the price for the Opus at B&H is $219 right now, not including tax. With added tax, we're looking at $240, which is ok. The price is not the deciding point, though.

Oh well, I don't have to decide for a month yet. But if I'm buying I would most likely go for the Opus.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Opus is perhaps the best ePub reader currently on the market. I would, however, also take a look at the Pocketbook 360, which is also a very good 5" device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:48 AM   #8
Zzyzx
Enthusiast

Thanks. What can I expect to pay for a Pocketbook, and do you know of any retailers in New York?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #9
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
Thanks. What can I expect to pay for a Pocketbook, and do you know of any retailers in New York?
www.pocketbookreader.com
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
Zzyzx
Enthusiast

Got my Opus today and I have to say that I love it!

It's small, easy to use and doesn't kill my hand the same way the prs-600 does.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
Mathlete
Enthusiast
Mathlete began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
I enjoy my Opus too.

The only thing I think it lacks is a search function. I would kill for a search function even if it was clumsy and awkward to use (and it would have to be with the Opus's simple controls).
Mathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:23 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathlete View Post
I enjoy my Opus too.

The only thing I think it lacks is a search function. I would kill for a search function even if it was clumsy and awkward to use (and it would have to be with the Opus's simple controls).
Not necessarily; the Pocketbook 360 has a search function and it works well. An "up/down/left/right/select" sort of "soft keyboard" is perfectly adequate for the short strings you're going to want to enter for a search.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote